Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cipica, VW 1303S from '74
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Last weekend I raised the rear end. With car loaded and trailer hitched, sometimes it would drag on the road or hitting bumps. I tried to use also a magnetic angle finder, but I could not read it so precise, so I used the phone app Clinometer.
So, this is what I started with:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First take: 20.5-20.8 degrees preload instead of 16.

And the result: not good. It did not sit flat... maybe 2cm difference left to right. This is after I jumped on the hitch and moved the card back and front a bit.

Next day I took everything down again and gave it 1 more degree on the left side. I drove and took some measurements on a flat surface (concrete in my courtyard is not the best place) and there still is a difference of 5mm, but I don't want to tear it down again. Sorry no pics after the second take, they will follow.
Anyway the rear fenders also trick the eye, because they are not perfectly mirrored: right hand side tail light sits about 1cm higher than the other, measured from rear bottom of the fender. Gap between fenders and wheels seem identical (although my measurement tools (aka fingers) are not calibrated Smile.
Overall the back is higher by ~5cm. The tow hitch middle of the ball sits at ~41.5cm, and with me (94kg) on top of it, it goes down only 3cm. In Europe, with the car loaded and trailer hitched, the height must be between 350 and 420mm, so it should be fine now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

This should have been a long weekend (Thursday-Monday) with a camper meeting. Bug was ready, caravan ready, and we cancelled last minute due to weather forecast of lots of rain, and we are all sick... So we changed plans and decided to go to Hungary.
Come Saturday morning, and the car did not want to start. So, a fee steps back: I have electric fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, but I did not check what the actual pressure is because I do not have a gauge yet (I will do in the following weeks). I ran the car without regulator for a long time without issues, but last year after rebuilding the car, the carbs kept flooding. Gasoline was pouring from the top of the carburetors, and I made a new gasket and added the FPR. Issue was solved for ~1 year, till now. Since some weeks I saw again that the bodies of the carburetors were dirty and wet from gasoline on the outside. Today I went to the garage and there was gasoline smell, and the engine hydrolocked. One cylinder had gasoline in. I had to turn it by hand to splash it out, and when the car started a lot of gasoline came out of the tailpipe. I looked inside the carb throats and say fuel dripping in on top of the butterflies. When I shut the car off, fuel kept dripping, but I could not see the source for sure, it seemed the auxiliary nozzle or the accelerator nozzle.
I guess it is not the dreaded Dellorto drip, because the gasoline pours from between the carb body and top cover, but rather needle valves and a new set of gaskets. I'm waiting for feedback from Gabriele (Alfa1750 on ebay) if I shall use regular brass needles or viton tipped. Now it has viton tipped needles, but I think the surface was damaged, and I do not know if it can be affected by ethanol in gasoline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

New accessory received! A sport steering wheel, complete with horn button. It needs some work: paint, leather wrap, and a hub for small diameter splines, but it was 100 bucks, so I'm happy.

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Awesome find! Those are so nice when restored. Grats!

H2OSB
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Hi,

Where I can find Windshield Lower Repair Section and what is it's OEM No.

tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Hi, Pharos, I do not know if it is available for Supers. I just patched all holes (mine had just small ones)
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Shoutout to American readers of this topic: as I'm always looking for accessories, something which was not offered in Europe was the set belt interlock and brake warning light combo (113919232). So I'm looking for one as in the picture below, together with connector and at least a few cm of wiring. I found several either on ebay or classifieds, but without connector.
The relay is available in Europe, as it is the same part for Porsche (133919431). And it's quite cheap new (~45 euros).

offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

pharos wrote:
Hi,

Where I can find Windshield Lower Repair Section and what is it's OEM No.

Hi Pharos,
FBiVW in Wales, have one for sale on the uk eBay currently:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115827732056?mkcid=16&a...media=COPY

They have adverts on herein the classifieds but the not the scuttle, maybe worth making contact though?
Phil

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
Shoutout to American readers of this topic: as I'm always looking for accessories, something which was not offered in Europe was the set belt interlock and brake warning light combo (113919232). So I'm looking for one as in the picture below, together with connector and at least a few cm of wiring. I found several either on ebay or classifieds, but without connector.
The relay is available in Europe, as it is the same part for Porsche (133919431). And it's quite cheap new (~45 euros).

I think I have a couple of the devices, however, the only connector I have is part of my wiring harness. You're going to have to locate a 1303 being parted. Perhaps Samba classifieds?

Best of luck. Kindest regards
H2OSB
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Thank you, but I need one with connector... It's an unusual design. I asked in the classifieds, I found one ad showing also connectors. I'll let you know if I get no answer.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

I'm almost certain that I can get that connector with the wire harness piece near me. I'll find tomorrow.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Hello Victor, just the connector and harness? I also found the connector new at 5 bucks/piece here in Europe (plus transport from France), and H2SOB offered me a warning light already (Thank you again!).

So, it was a busy weekend (picture heavy post, as you all like them!).
I fabricated an exhaust for the Eberspacher BN2 stationary heater. I still have to buy a clamp to fix the two halves together and wrap it in heat resistant cloth and install it.

Then a friend came and we tinkered a bit on his car: changed tank filler neck rubbers as he got fumes in the car, then installed hood struts. The old body of my car donated the lower strut mounting pieces, as his car was missing them. We still have to install the radio and speaker, but the speaker clamp and connector for radio were in his other car... Next time.

Then I started work on the Volkspod. First step done: cut and weld together two fenders. It was more because they kept taking space and falling over.

And if we tinkered on cars, we decided next day we would all go to the mountains and have a hike. ~300kms round trip, up to 1800m high (from 90m in Timisoara) The road was quite steep and I had to drive in 1st and second. Changing to 3rd at 3600-3800rpm would drop down to 2400 and it would struggle to keep up. First half of the drive it felt very powerful at all speeds, going back it seemed to struggle a bit on progression (up to 3000-3200rpm). Also idle dropped from 1000rpm to 800rpm hot. On mains it was all good. But it ran very well overall. And I forgot to take a picture at the steam locomotives museum...

tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

And another update. A friend helped me buy a 74- stock steering wheel, I drilled the rivets and took the hub and it fits the sports steering wheel! And it fits. Now to restore it.

tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Not that I have a stock steering wheel in the parts department, I would like to have it nice and shiny, even if I am not using it. It will go well on the dashboard display I am planning.
So, is there a simple method to restore it to its former glory? It is gassed from car respray and discolored (mostly on the horn button).

tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

I found that for the fasten belts/brake warning light the same connector is used on VW T3. Plenty available, so connector is solved. My next issue: what is the pinout for the light? In the wiring diagram it is shown what wires go to it, but it does not show to what pin goes which wire. A pic of the connector with wires would be sufficient to identify colors, thus functions.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/1974SeatBeltInterlock-Color.jpg
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

I think I found it. However in other pictures (maybe different light?) pin nr. 2 is also ground.

tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

This week's highlights: We're off to bring a sister to Cipica, my wife's 65 Mushu which we have stored for more than 13 years. If you'd like to follow on this rebuild, the topic is here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10094456#10094456
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

That sea blue '64 is awesome - great project!
Don't forget to edit your signature... Smile
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Haha, you are right!
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

I did some work yesterday. A romanian saying is "make the sled during summer and the carriage during winter. Technically, it was already autumn, but let's go with that. I finished installing the BN2 heater (exhaust, air intake for flame, intake and exhaust of heated air). I did not have the original tubing for 1303, I had a box of various pipes, I guess for a type3. So I modified them and made it work. I now need to make and install a fuel tank for it and it's done (no, I do not like the original fuel pump installation, it has too long fuel hoses).
And last thing to do is the manual choke for carburetors. I bought a throttle lever and cable for some agricultural equipment, but that in the next episode (read that: when I have time and will).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: