Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix Billet Distributor quality...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Pertronix Billet Distributor quality... Reply with quote

... or lack there of.

Just diagnosed a problem with a friend's engine. It was running poorly and we traced it to the Pertronix Billet distributor. The upper advance plate, where it moves interdependently from the mainshaft. It seems the plate is crimped to the mainshaft and over time it came loose. With the shaft held, the plate moves 4-5 degrees. This is not part of the mechanical advance. He ordered a replacement and out of the box the plate was not rigid and moved slightly. So over time it will only get worse.

After looking at some pictures online, it seems this is the way Pertronix does it on all of their distributors for all makes.

This is from a SBC
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Billet Distributor quality... Reply with quote

That right there is a good reason to avoid those. MSD has the same exact style of advance, but its Tig welded, not crimped.

Kudos for bringing that to everyone's attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Billet Distributor quality... Reply with quote

He's putting a Bosch 010 with a Pertronix Igniter II, But he also needs to replace the coil since the one that came with the Billet is 3.0ohm and the Igniter II needs a .45ohm.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Billet Distributor quality... Reply with quote

I'll have to look at mine and see if it's the same construction. If it is I'll give it a shot with the TIG.

brad
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Billet Distributor quality... Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I'll have to look at mine and see if it's the same construction. If it is I'll give it a shot with the TIG.

brad

It will be and a smart move.

All the pictures I found show the same construction. Like I posted the picture was one on a SBC.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Billet Distributor quality... Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
He's putting a Bosch 010 with a Pertronix Igniter II, But he also needs to replace the coil since the one that came with the Billet is 3.0ohm and the Igniter II needs a .45ohm.

That should give a nice boost. Pertronix is very "lofty" on their peak current specs at 7.2 amps on the Flamethrower 2 coil, but reading between the lines of the other specs I can see it will be a nice upgrade over the 3 ohm coils. I would open up the gap on the plugs a little Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Billet Distributor quality... Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

brad

I have not seen that yet. But I was going to say the same thing. But naturally it shouldŽnt be like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: