Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T4 oil pressure relief valve
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

My normal suppliers have no repair kits. I need to find a oil pressure relief valve repair kit for my single relief 78 CE case.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

define "kit."

There is a valve and spring, cap and washer on a single relief. Dual relief have another set. The parts are not necessarily interchangeable.

This is what my GD engine uses:

https://www.vwheritage.com/021115421b-oil-pressure-relief-spring-vw-spare

https://www.vwheritage.com/021115411a-oil-pressure-relief-piston-vw-spare
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Did you by chance try to get the piston to seal to the end of the bore? If so that could potentially cause then engine to run at higher than normal oil pressure and to continuously send oil through the cooler. If so remove your piston and use a triangular file to cut a groove across the top of the piston, this will allow it to operate as designed. Your hot oil pressure just sounds too high.

Are you perhaps looking to go with an oversized relief piston the the tool to cut the bore? Can't help you there.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Did you by chance try to get the piston to seal to the end of the bore? If so that could potentially cause then engine to run at higher than normal oil pressure and to continuously send oil through the cooler. If so remove your piston and use a triangular file to cut a groove across the top of the piston, this will allow it to operate as designed. Your hot oil pressure just sounds too high.

Are you perhaps looking to go with an oversized relief piston the the tool to cut the bore? Can't help you there.

huh? The top seals against the opening. The slot allows oil cooler flow even in high pressure situations. I wouldn't be cutting any notches in the piston. For a fact my old piston was slightly damaged by wear so I smoothed it on a plate of glass and sandpaper. But, when I replaced it with a new piston my oil temps fell considerably even though the OD was the same, and the length was the same. If anything I'd get a new piston, check the spring length and tension, and leave things alone once the new ones were installed. Image is from Richard Atwell's site

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

huh? The top seals against the opening. The slot allows oil cooler flow even in high pressure situations. I wouldn't be cutting any notches in the piston. For a fact my old piston was slightly damaged by wear so I smoothed it on a plate of glass and sandpaper. But, when I replaced it with a new piston my oil temps fell considerably even though the OD was the same, and the length was the same. If anything I'd get a new piston, check the spring length and tension, and leave things alone once the new ones were installed. Image is from Richard Atwell's site

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If the piston seals to the top of the bore the area that the oil presses against is cut by about half meaning that it takes that much more oil pressure to cause the piston to begin movement. the stock pistons are not smooth on top, likely to prevent this from occurring.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

the stock piston I bought new was very smooth on top when new. Last thing one wants is leakage there when the oil is hot and the pressure lower. Not only does the leakage reduce pressure further, it reduces oil going to the cooler.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

If the piston seals to the end of the bore the pressure will jump as the piston touches the end and then drop suddenly if and when the pressure builds sufficiently to where the piston is pushed away from the end of the bore. I don't see any way this would be desirable and this pretty well fits Lil Lulu's symptoms of very high oil pressure and sub normal oil temperatures.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If the piston seals to the end of the bore the pressure will jump as the piston touches the end and then drop suddenly if and when the pressure builds sufficiently to where the piston is pushed away from the end of the bore. I don't see any way this would be desirable and this pretty well fits Lil Lulu's symptoms of very high oil pressure and sub normal oil temperatures.

we can agree to differ on this one.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

we can agree to differ on this one.

If you read his other thread, you will see that his oil pressure is jumping up and down about 200 times a minute. This is pretty much what one would expect with a plunger that was sealing against the end of the bore. He is also complaining about high oil pressure and the oil running too cool. I could well be wrong here, but it seems reasonable that this could be his problem.

Think of an automatic transmission valve body, the spools seal just fine without ever sealing against the ends of their bores.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Seems there is not a new spring and plunger in the US or Canada. Can’t wait 3 weeks.

Talked to several old heads last night. All suggest that this valve could affect oil temps but would have no affect on head temps, which has been my take all along. So I’m back to square 1.

I did attach a different op gauge and made another 20+ mile run this morning @ 35° ambient. As usual head temps rose to 340° to 360° (normal) Oil pressure 95# then dropped down to 285°, op 55# and wavy after 6 miles and stayed there until a 1 mile, 6% grade then head temps rose to a whopping 306°. Oil temp never moved on the whole run. Top of case temp 122° after running. Again, normally the head temps would be tickling 400° on this grade and the oil temp would run around +/- 200. Tested the thermostat again with heat gun and it expands normally and the flaps are opening.

Is there anything else that could cause this cold running condition? Beginning to pull on my ear and suck on my blankey.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

the flap on the left - driver side (LHD) acts as a vane and allows some air to flow into the oil cooler, and some to flow to the heads. There is a rubber seal that goes on the tin that helps seal the oil cooler so air doesn't slip around it. Do you know if these things are working right? Make sure nothing has gotten onto or over the oil cooler to partially block it. Also make sure that the heat exchangers are in place and that they are sealed to the shroud.

Also - usually I get things from VW Heritage in less than a week when I order them. I've gotten things from them before things ordered here in the states at the same time.

The CE case is 72-73 according to the data online. There are two different pistons that go in the pressure relief under the engine at the back near the oil filter. They are according to the fiche:

311 115 411 up to 1975 16mm x 24mm
021 115 411 A 1976 and later 16mm x 22mm

The spring is 021 115 421B on both according to the fiche
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

I find that my oil temps just don’t get very hot at that kind of ambient temp and in general it takes at least an hour or more of steady highway driving for oil temps to reach their maximum value. Winter and summer driving are night and day according to my gauges. Even summer morning vs summer afternoon gauge readings vary quite a bit.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Oil cooler seal is in place. Nothing blocking the cooler. Wouldn’t that raise the temp rather than lower it?

The rebuilt heat exchangers (72-74) are in place and provide plenty of airflow. I have all the bits and pieces, even the little flappers post-shroud, but I do not run an aux heat fan.

Just took another drive without changing anything, just let her cool down @ now 38° ambient. Again, ran up to 340° to 350° head temp (normal) and got to 160° oil temp then 7 miles out goes down to 290°ht and oil drops too but not all the way to 130 as the earlier run. The wavy oil pressure is now stabilized @ 55# when warm.

I have to make a trip to the high dessert for five days for my work. This bus ran toasty last winter in sub10° temps. Rather not have to take the Tacoma and have to sieep in a fricking tent.

Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Whoops on the case # it’s a GE case.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Actually this makes total sense.

Because of the very high volume....and sometimes leveraged by excessively high oil viscosity (either due to cold oil or too thick oil)....you can get this issue.

If the valve plunger seals too tightly...either on its face or in the gap between piston and bore (which can either be a piston that is physically too tight or oil too thick).....there is going to be a higher energy pulse pushing the plunger away from teh sealing face. This push must first overcome the unseating or load up pressure of the spring. Then pressure vents and it moves toward the sealing face again.

Its an oscillation. This is partially what the groove in the side of the case bore and sometimes the groove under the head of the piston....helps to do. It allows venting this high energy pressure pulse quickly before the piston gets pushed too far down the bore, developing excessive spring recoil pressure.

This by the way is the exact same oscillation type we get on fuel pressure regulators ....that causes that audible harmonic its cycle pressure>break free point> spring load> vent> collapse> start again.

Having too smooth of sealing face at the top of the bore can actually make this worse. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Oil pressure 95# then dropped down to 285°, op 55#

Oil temp 285F with 55 PSI pressure? What RPM?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Having too smooth of sealing face at the top of the bore can actually make this worse. Ray

If you have bothered to read ALL my posts in this thread, you would see that that was my point, you don't want the piston to seal to the end of the bore as doing so reduces the area the oil presses against causing a very large increase in the pressure needed to make the piston move the first tiny amount to unseal. While the piston is sealed against the end of the bore ALL of the oil is going to be going through the oil cooler as well, which is certainly not a desirable thing when it is even just coolish out.

If the piston seals to the end of the bore then the expected symptoms would be:

High oil pressure
A osculating oil pressure relief piston
Oil temps far below normal during cooler weather

As I said earlier I would remove the piston and if the head were smooth, I would file some grooves in the top so that it would not seal to the end of the bore.

I am a firm believer that when someone tries to excessively lower their oil temps and/or raise their oil pressure they WILL likely damage their engines during cold weather and then when the engine fails the next summer they will try to get their oil temps down and their pressure up even further on their next build guarantying anbother short engine life the next time around.

Oil temps below 160°F are an engine killer and oil pressure only needs to be high enough for sufficient oil to reach the bearings, and for a dribble to reach further down the line. Even hydraulic lifter engines don't need all that much oil pressure and certainly like a thinner oil over a thicker one.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

If you have bothered to read ALL my posts in this thread, you would see that that was my point, you don't want the piston to seal to the end of the bore as doing so reduces the area the oil presses against causing a very large increase in the pressure needed to make the piston move the first tiny amount to unseal. While the piston is sealed against the end of the bore ALL of the oil is going to be going through the oil cooler as well, which is certainly not a desirable thing when it is even just coolish out.

If the piston seals to the end of the bore then the expected symptoms would be:

High oil pressure
A osculating oil pressure relief piston
Oil temps far below normal during cooler weather

As I said earlier I would remove the piston and if the head were smooth, I would file some grooves in the top so that it would not seal to the end of the bore.

I am a firm believer that when someone tries to excessively lower their oil temps and/or raise their oil pressure they WILL likely damage their engines during cold weather and then when the engine fails the next summer they will try to get their oil temps down and their pressure up even further on their next build guarantying anbother short engine life the next time around.

Oil temps below 160°F are an engine killer and oil pressure only needs to be high enough for sufficient oil to reach the bearings, and for a dribble to reach further down the line. Even hydraulic lifter engines don't need all that much oil pressure and certainly like a thinner oil over a thicker one.

Yep...I read all of it....and got that this was your point. As I noted....it makes total sense.

SGKent.....that IS the question. At what rpm are those temps and pressures seen? And...where and with what....are pressures and temps being measured. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

any loss of oil at that valve reduces flow to the gallery. Once it is notched it affects oil pressure at idle and low rpm low oil pressure. That valve should seal, and the spring should be tested at the proper height and load. The specs are in Bentley. I'm sure that length and load both were selected to avoid oscillation. But if someone changes the spring pressure, or it gets weak, then all sorts of chatter could result. Mine works fine. It is stock 100% and the spring is right at the spec in Bentley. The saying is don't F with it if it works.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The saying is don't F with it if it works.

It is not working though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: