Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.6 to AAZ swap: vacuum pump and int. shaft compatibility
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: 1.6 to AAZ swap: vacuum pump and int. shaft compatibility Reply with quote

I have a 1987 syncro doka with the 1.6 td swapping into an AAZ longblock from Quality German. Thomas send me an AAZ vacuum pump but it seems not mesh well with the intermediate shaft gear from the 1.6.

The 1.6 vacuum pump is slightly different (shorter and does not have the extended collar/o-ring that inserts into the block), and it is difficult to tell the pitch of the gears.

The gears on the AAZ vacuum pump are compatible with the 1.6 int. shaft gear when I put them together by hand but I am not having luck getting the new pump installed into the block with the int. shaft in place. Despite patiently trying to align the gears I am thinking the AAZ had a slightly different intermediate shaft gear than the 1.6.

So before I try to source an appropriate int. shaft has anyone successfully used and older 1.6 int. shaft with a newer AAZ vacuum pump?

(photo shows AAZ pump on the left, 1.6 pump on the right)

Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 to AAZ swap: vacuum pump and int. shaft compatibility Reply with quote

Can you swap the driven gear on the two pumps? If otherwise I would expect the pump and intermediate shaft would be a “pair”. Also you need to verify with the pan off that the crankshaft and connecting rod clear the 1.6 intermediate shaft is they rotate. Larger stroke gas engines have some clearance issues when mixing parts from different generations. Also unless the intermediate shaft has changed, the gear used to be pressed on.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 to AAZ swap: vacuum pump and int. shaft compatibility Reply with quote

Double Post

Last edited by MarkWard on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 to AAZ swap: vacuum pump and int. shaft compatibility Reply with quote

Thanks for the beta, I can check if the gears are removable. The clearance looks close so I will check that too.

Best,
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 to AAZ swap: vacuum pump and int. shaft compatibility Reply with quote

I have a AAZ and 1.6 vacume pump and have found they are not the same animal. The 1.6 seat is different from the aaz and gear cluster is different. Is yours not making vacume?
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 to AAZ swap: vacuum pump and int. shaft compatibility Reply with quote

I had the Aaz specific vac pump and was able to source an Aaz intermediate shaft so the build continues. Lmk if.you need info on these parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: