Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kayak on a Baja
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

Anyone carry a kayak on their baja?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

No but I carry a kayak on other cars. If you have a rack the J shaped holders are the way to go. If you have no rack and carry it on the roof there are some specially cut foam blocks available with a profile cut to a Hull shape. I don’t know wha5they are called or how to search for them, but I have some so they certainly exist.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

I was in Bahía Los Angeles in Baja for New Years. I wished I had a kayak. There was a guy with a kayak there paddling behind a pod of dolphins. I was jealous.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

I looked on line and found unique ways to use the transport wheels to roll it up and on the top of a vehicle.
I have a basket rack on top of my bug but feel like I need some sort of a cradle front and rear for better weight distribution.i have a Hobie compass weighs about 70 lbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrosimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

Brentonodon has a picture of his Baja with a open canoe on the rack in show us your Baja. Look him up, he has more on his photos. 😎
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

About 35 yrs ago I used to put my fiberglass ocean kayak on my bug. I think it weighs about 80 Lbs. and is 18’ long. I used simple surf rack like straps, basically a strap with a couple foam swimming tubes, rope in front and back.

I did this pretty often then , but I haven’t tried it for many years and when I think about it now it seems like it would be a crazy idea.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

Let the rack on your roof carry most of the weight. Build a T-bar sort of thing to mount to your front and rear cage. One in front and another in the back mounted with some type of clamps so you can remove them easily. The kayak is supported by the rack and steadied by the T-bars. It won't spin sideways and it won't lift up in front.
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

Heres is mine
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

That'll work, do you load/unload by yourself?
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

Yes but it is a very lightweight Sportspal aluminum canoe
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

If you remember the ads with the floating beetles, you know a kayak is redundant

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

Get a folding kayak...

https://paddling.com/gear/category/kayaks/folding/

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Buspilot67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

roof rack and a couple straps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

NICE would like to see more Baja kayak/canoes on combos Popcorn Popcorn
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

I purchased 4 kayak/canoe cradles mounted on my rack slid my kayak up on top of my rack and the cradles are made of soft type plyable rubber/plastic and the kayak wouldn't budge. I spread the cradles out but if the yak touched them I couldn't move it forward they're like glue making them pretty well useless. I won't be using them at this point.
Then, went to Wally's and purchased a swim noodle, taped them on.. nope, too much friction, ended up tearing the noodles.
My cross bars on the roof rack are 2" , anyone have a suggestion?
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

I'm not seeing the issue. Is the kayak too heavy and unwieldy for you to load and unload by yourself ?

We used to have 2 single seaters and one tandem. Some trips we took the tandem and some the singles. We used an S10 Blazer for one end of the trip and a full sized Dodge van for the other end. We just used lots of straps for the Blazer and it's factory roof rack. We may have had some of the foam rack pads like you describe.

We always had at least 2 people for loading and unloading. It would be difficult for one person. We just piled everything into the back of the van and strapped the doors shut to keep it from falling out.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

Single person load unload, 75-80lbs
Put rollers on cage/bumper, saw it on YouTube and made my own it works well. The issue is not the weight, I carry the kayak bottom down so I don't have to unload the seat ice chest anything else that won't blow out. Because of the small fortune I've got invested I don't want to just THROW it up on rack and scratch it up and possibly causing damage to hull in the summer months. Hence the foam pads on the x bars which grab the yak and make very difficult to push or pull which ever the case may be same thing with the cradles, what ever rubber or plastic is used makes it virtually impossible to push or pull the kayak on or off the rack. Wheel rig I made works perfect.
I know this isn't complicated, I can easily zip tie towels or something.
I'll come up with something it seems I always do,
Thank you for your input.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

Our's were just Old Towne's and got beat up on rocks in the river so there was definitely no worry about transport damage Smile. Getting them up on the roof is definitely a challenge by yourself. Make a form fitting cradle out of wood and pad the mating surface with ground pad material from REI, etc.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

For now I'll tape the foam just for the padding bunji some old bath towels so it slides, that will get me on the water , that's the main objective.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kayak on a Baja Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
For now I'll tape the foam just for the padding bunji some old bath towels so it slides, that will get me on the water , that's the main objective.

Our river was just a lazy black water float trip. You could do up to a 7 hour float and never be more than 30 mins from the house. There were also lots of options for 2 to 3 hour floats. It was amazing how little this recreation resource was taken advantage of. We rarely saw others on the water. You would hear them cutting grass, but no signs they used the opportunity that flowed by their back yard.

I injured my neck in 2000 and could no longer wrestle the kayaks up out of the water and into the vehicles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: