Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

“Newer style” doghouse any good?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

I currently have the squared doghouse with heater ducts.
I’m considering the newer one from cb or scat that is rounded.
Questions:
Will I be able to utilize my current flaps?
Does it cool as well as my current one? (Or close)
Any recommendations as to brand on quality?

I do prefer the rounded ones and will NOT be running heater boxes.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

The rounded style shrouds are called 36 horse style because they are the same shape as the original 36 HP fan shroud. They are not new they have been around for 30 years.

There is extreme controversy about using them. I feel they cool fine. I have one on my 2165 & 2276 and neither use any auxillary oil cooler. I personally DO NOT run flaps on any engine that does not use the heater boxes.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

They all fit crappy, so just buy from wherever. They work fine, but if you have a German ahroud now, I suggest you use it only because they're more valuable. Blast and repaint. Done.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The rounded style shrouds are called 36 horse style because they are the same shape as the original 36 HP fan shroud. They are not new they have been around for 30 years.

There is extreme controversy about using them. I feel they cool fine. I have one on my 2165 & 2276 and neither use any auxillary oil cooler. I personally DO NOT run flaps on any engine that does not use the heater boxes.

X2
Although i do use an external and stock cooler on my 2332 (probably overkill but to me it’s cheap insurance)
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

I like the stock shroud for the same reasons mentioned here, but I had to use the 36hp aftermarket shroud on my recent build due to clearance issues on my 2332. I have not seen any engine yet to be damaged by the lack of cooling from these shrouds yet and they have been around for many years. I have also yet to see any real data that they cool less than the German doghouse. All so far have just been opinions.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

Here's info on how to install flaps on scat fan shroud.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520296

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

There are at least 3 different manufacturers of the aftermarket 30 hp fan shroud. One product is very crappy, with shit poor assembly too. One is fair, with decent (not perfect) assembly quality, vanes in the correct position and distributes the air quite nicely. One is a nice product with good fit and vanes in the correct positions. The odd thing is that there are only about 10 bucks difference in retail prices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

You've got to say which is which Alstrup!
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

The CSP shroud i installed a month ago was quality, fit was nice against OG german cylinder tin. Only thing with all of them is the bolt pattern for the Alt/Gen backing plate is slightly rotated compared to an original one so my CSP center pull linkage fouls on one of the bolt heads, will change the bolts to round headed allens instead.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

Tobias Bylund wrote:
The CSP shroud i installed a month ago was quality, fit was nice against OG german cylinder tin. Only thing with all of them is the bolt pattern for the Alt/Gen backing plate is slightly rotated compared to an original one so my CSP center pull linkage fouls on one of the bolt heads, will change the bolts to round headed allens instead.

This is what irritates me about aftermarket shrouds. That bolt pattern should be the easiest thing to copy!

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

Tobias Bylund wrote:

I know SCAT did rotate the Alt/Gen backing plate bolt pattern so you COULD NOT use their competitors (Gene Berg) linkage and would have to buy their brand of dual carb linkage.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

I bought an empi version earlier this year. It has the vanes installed properly and is well made.

For fit, I had to trim it in the middle due to having a "bubble top" case...not really the fault of the shroud.

Stay away from the older versions that did not have the directional vanes.

I would also like to see the vendors Alstrup is describing
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

Yeah Alstrup!! Spill the beans man!
I purchased the AA one. $40 shipping was a KILLER though!😡
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

I recently used one of these on a 2017cc EFI engine. Fit like a factory part.

http://usstore.concept1.ca/Fan-Shroud-W-heat-W-holes-BLEMISHED-COOLED.1.1.BLM-72541/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:

He might say CSP shroud or Scat.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

Doesn't clocking the alternator backing plate move the cooling vent?

VW wanted it facing down for a reason. Maybe the aftermarket didn't get the memo.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

Yes I remember reading not to change the orientation of that small air slot on the backing plate!
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

The scat shroud and scat backing plates work as it should, vent down.

Photo from Scat:

Photo of the Scat shroud I am putting together right now:

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: “Newer style” doghouse any good? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I recently used one of these on a 2017cc EFI engine. Fit like a factory part.

http://usstore.concept1.ca/Fan-Shroud-W-heat-W-holes-BLEMISHED-COOLED.1.1.BLM-72541/

I like this! Glenn, does it come black like that, or bare metal? I see a Thing style one in my near future...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: