Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello and Appraisal of Our 73 SB
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Hello and Appraisal of Our 73 SB Reply with quote

Wanted to say hello to everyone. Plus, say Thanks! This is a very cool community. Its amazing how willing people are to share their knowledge and take the time to post their details about their restorations. Not to mention the guys who make all those videos! I am already hours and hours into reading and searching!

I wanted to do a little show and tell and see if you guys can help me figure out what i got myself into + how my son and I can have some more fun! Very Happy

My son is turning 16 in a couple months and insisted on a "old car with some personality"! Having had 3 beetles in the past, I knew where my head was at. In the past, no tools, garage, space, or internet kept me from working on my beetles. So, i thought this would be a good opportunity for my son and I to have fun and learn some stuff together!

We ended up finding a 73 Super Beetle that had a good body, but seemed to need a little love in other areas. So far, we have done some minor cleanup stuff seals, rubber, fuel hoses. We just got done with a disk break conversion, some new headlights, and have the parts on order to do the shift rod bushing and coupler.

We need to go through the entire process of learning to do a tune-up. So, I am not 100% sure some of the questions I have wont be cleared up this process, but just to get this conversation started and get some ideas of what to watch for...

We are seeing that the car runs "ok", but it seems laggy (compared to my memory of my older beetles). Seems a bit gutless in 2nd gear on hills especially. It is a bit hard to get started, keep it started, and seems a little slow to warm up.

It has a EMPI carb on it so I figured that was a good place to start with improving how well it runs. I have been reading that they are inconsistent in quality. My logic was that the carb and distributor were a good place to start.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Old carb PO gave to us

Prob a stupid question ... what is the best way to tell if you have a generator or alternator?

Last edited by corro23 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

Nice looking car and great family project! Lots of great info on this site, so welcome and read a lot.

I think you would have money well spent to send your old factory carb to a guy that does the best rebuilds/restorations. Go to www.volkzbitz.com and take a look. I did the same and my carb runs factory new.

I also recommend getting a rebuilt factory distributor. I think a 034 SVDA pairs best with the Solex 34 PICT 3. Do a search for distributors in the classifieds here. You’ll find 2 or 3 folks who restore those to perfect condition.

Another good read is www.vw-resource.com. Take a look at their information on setting the carb, timing, etc.

Good luck!

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

This video does a splendid job taking you through the entire tune up process. You do need to pay for it though. It also assumes that you have a stock distributor.

Link

'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
I also recommend getting a rebuilt factory distributor. I think a 034 SVDA pairs best with the Solex 34 PICT 3. Do a search for distributors in the classifieds here. You’ll find 2 or 3 folks who restore those to perfect condition.

Another good read is www.vw-resource.com. Take a look at their information on setting the carb, timing, etc.

Thanks a ton Dave! I have been doing my homework and just ordered a Solex 34 PICT 3 carb from Tim last night.... and am in the process of getting a rebuilt SVDA from Bill. Smile

I have been hitting www.vw-resource.com a bit! Such a great site. I have been thinking I might want to make a backup in case it ever goes away! Shocked

Tom K. wrote:
This video does a splendid job taking you through the entire tune up process. You do need to pay for it though. It also assumes that you have a stock distributor.

Tom ... Thanks! That looks like a great video and I am sure it will be money well spent! I see the Bug Me videos referenced quite frequently. So, i am guessing they are all pretty good!

amyacker wrote:
Nice car, i love it.

Thanks Amy! We love it too! Funny how much we end up loving our beetles! I have so many great memories of my 66 and of my super. Its pretty cool for us to have one in the family now. Razz
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

Welcome!

Here's a good reference thread I've built up on parts suppliers, workshop manuals, and resources for classic VWs

AlmostHeavenWV's Orientation Page for the Samba

============================================================================================
On the car currently, you have an aftermarket carb and distributor. You will find some will swear they are good only for a paperweight. Some have had decent luck with both of those brands/items. It is ultimately your choice after further investigation as to whether or not you wish to keep those parts or use OEM carb (Solex 34pict3) and distributor (Bosch DVDA 205AN or 205AJ)

Quote:
Short primer on distributor parts language:

Bosch distributors:
"205AJ" refers to the VW part number. Referenced by the last 3# and the letters after

"205AJ" = 113905205AJ

Sometimes the distributors are referred to by the Bosch part number as well:

"009" refers to 0 231 178 009 (typical mechanical advance only replacement from the 80s)
"019"= 0 231 129 019 (old cast iron distributor from the 60s)
"034" = 0 231 170 034 (SVDA distributor from the mid/late 70s)

Also:
SVDA = "Single vacuum, dual advance" meaning it has vaccuum advance and mechanical[centrifigal] advance
DVDA = "Dual vacuum, dual advance" This had vacuum advance AND vacuum retard, as well as mechanical advance
SVA= "Single vacuum advance" This only has vacuum advance. No mechanical advance.

I would check these threads out:
34pict3 Carb info and tuning
Thread with more info on different carbs and carb-distributor matching table

That old carb is a Bocar. It is the next to best carb. It was made in Mexico by Bocar (under license from Solex). They are aftermarket copies, but are the only aftermarket copies which seem to come close to the original quality. Only thing better is an original German Solex carb. Its worth a look as to if it can be rebuilt.

======================================================

Now, with the poor driveability issue:
#1 I would do a thorough tune up:

-Valve adjustment
-Check spark plugs and wires
-Set point gap* (if your distributor has points- it may have an electronic module instead)
-Start the car up and get it warmed up
-Set the timing by timing light (easiest/safest is to remove and plug your vacuum advance can and port on carb- then Set your 'max advance' at 30* BDTC by reving to approx 3000RPM or whenever mechanical advancement stops and adjusting timing to 30* while holding 3000RPM).
-Next, with engine at idle and with timing light. Hook up the vacuum advance can to a small hand vacuum pump. Apply vacuum with the pump and make sure that your vacuum advance can is giving advancement. (will only be 5-7* probably-which is normal)
-Okay, now set your carb idle speed (per outlined in the thread/links above)
-Turn off car, hook vacuum hose back up.
-Assuming you had no issues, take it for a test drive.

A point of note, old ACVW engines kinda need a bit higher revs to get any power than other cars. (remember these engines only had about 40hp when new!).

On standards (non-super beetle) there are some red 'tick' marks on the speedometer. These are roughly shift points. (actually they are 'downshift' points, but close enough). You will see 1 red tick for top of 1st gear, 2 red ticks for top of 2nd gear, and so on.
Check it out:

Try driving while 'extending' your gear changes to these spots and see if that helps as well.

Happy bug'n!
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor

Last edited by AlmostHeavenWV_VW on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

Its a pretty color.

You have an alternator. Easy clue is that a generator is a cylinder that maintains its diameter full length and the alternator steps out bigger towards the pulley.

For the box of thoughts... If you replace the fuel pump it will take an alternator specific fuel pump (shorter) and the related fuel pump rod is an alternator specific fuel pump rod (also shorter).

Enjoy the smiles and waves from happy people remembering their bug.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

On the car currently, you have an aftermarket carb and distributor. You will find some will swear they are good only for a paperweight. Some have had decent luck with both of those brands/items. It is ultimately your choice after further investigation as to whether or not you wish to keep those parts or use OEM carb (Solex 34pict3) and distributor (Bosch DVDA 205AN or 205AJ)

Thanks a ton for all the info! Obviously I have a bit of reading to do! Rolling Eyes
So you would recommend a DVDA over a SVDA ? Most of what I have run into was a preference for the SVDA with the Solex 34pict3.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Try driving while 'extending' your gear changes to these spots and see if that helps as well.

Thanks! We have not been extending out that far and will push it a little more!

Buggeee wrote:
Its a pretty color.

You have an alternator. Easy clue is that a generator is a cylinder that maintains its diameter full length and the alternator steps out bigger towards the pulley.

For the box of thoughts... If you replace the fuel pump it will take an alternator specific fuel pump (shorter) and the related fuel pump rod is an alternator specific fuel pump rod (also shorter).

Enjoy the smiles and waves from happy people remembering their bug.

Buggeee - Thanks! That is a great and easy way to tell the difference on the alternator and generator!

Thanks for the tip on the fuel pump!

The smiles are already awesome! A great conversation starter at the gas station. Seems like almost everyone had a cool VW experience that they enjoy sharing! Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

The 1973 model came with a 205AN DVDA from factory. Many people favor the SVDA "034" nowadays. Simple personal choice, when it all boils down.

Main point is to match the 34-3 carb with the correct throttle plate (they were slightly different when matched to a DVDA or a SVDA).

I see you are getting your carb from Tim and distributor from Bill. I would simply allow those guys to give you a quality pairing and think no more on it. If you tell Tim what distributor you will be using (he likely already asked you) then he will make sure it is properly matched to work with the distributor that Bill is sending you.
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
The 1973 model came with a 205AN DVDA from factory. Many people favor the SVDA "034" nowadays. Simple personal choice, when it all boils down.

Main point is to match the 34-3 carb with the correct throttle plate (they were slightly different when matched to a DVDA or a SVDA).

I see you are getting your carb from Tim and distributor from Bill. I would simply allow those guys to give you a quality pairing and think no more on it. If you tell Tim what distributor you will be using (he likely already asked you) then he will make sure it is properly matched to work with the distributor that Bill is sending you.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

When you install the new carb, you might want to clamp that fuel line at the carburetor nipple. Also, the wire going to the choke should be shrink wrapped to provide more insulation. If the wire grounds, your wiring harness is apt to burn up.

By the way, nice looking bug.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
When you install the new carb, you might want to clamp that fuel line at the carburetor nipple. Also, the wire going to the choke should be shrink wrapped to provide more insulation. If the wire grounds, your wiring harness is apt to burn up.

Awesome! Thanks Tim!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

Nice car. It looks like you've got a good start.

You posted two pictures. One of an EMPI carb and the other of a Bocar. Those Bocar carbs are the best aftermarket ones but they are no longer made. Do not throw it away as it can be rebuilt.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

We put in a new shift bushing and coupler. WOW ... what a difference it makes to have a bushing in there. The old one was MIA ... just the clip and a small ring of plastic. Lol. Shocked

Here is a weird issue. I have not done a ton of searching yet, but figured I would bring it up to see if anyone can point us in the right direction. Smile We replaced the turn signal and now that we put the steering wheel back on it is seeming to slip a little during driving. Nothing you would notice, except that the wheel is off center after driving around a bit. The half dozen or so times we drove it before we had brake issues it did not seem to have this problem, but it could have been that we just didn't notice it. The horn also beeps sometimes when turning the wheel.

We have not been driving the car a ton since we got it. Brakes went out and we were waiting on parts and the time to do the new disk break install. So, like i said it might be that it was doing it before we changed out the turn signal and we just didnt notice.

heimlich wrote:
Nice car. It looks like you've got a good start.
You posted two pictures. One of an EMPI carb and the other of a Bocar. Those Bocar carbs are the best aftermarket ones but they are no longer made. Do not throw it away as it can be rebuilt.

Thanks for that tip! I also realized it was a good carb to keep after doing some searching! Thanks for pointing it out! I am def going to hold onto it.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal of Our 73 Reply with quote

Gap may affect horn as well.

Buggeee wrote:

Then, before tightening the bolts under the dash for the steering column completely, I adjusted the steering column back and forth until this gap was 1/16th of an inch, so that its close enough that the horn contacts contact, but far enough so that the the high/low dimmer contacts don't click on and off every-time I make a left turn.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

corro23 wrote:

Here is a weird issue. I have not done a ton of searching yet, but figured I would bring it up to see if anyone can point us in the right direction. Smile We replaced the turn signal and now that we put the steering wheel back on it is seeming to slip a little during driving. Nothing you would notice, except that the wheel is off center after driving around a bit. The half dozen or so times we drove it before we had brake issues it did not seem to have this problem, but it could have been that we just didn't notice it. The horn also beeps sometimes when turning the wheel.

We have not been driving the car a ton since we got it. Brakes went out and we were waiting on parts and the time to do the new disk break install. So, like i said it might be that it was doing it before we changed out the turn signal and we just didnt notice.

Where did you get the turn signal? Was it a china one? (cheaper about $35) or German made? (about $100).

If china this could be a possibilty (cheap, poorly made parts)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8646560&highlight=#8646560
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Gap may affect horn as well.

Thanks! I'll take a look. We were planning on messing with this today! Smile

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

If china this could be a possibility (cheap, poorly made parts)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8646560&highlight=#8646560

Chinese ... If anything, this car is teaching me that quality parts really are quality parts. At least that was not a super expensive lesson! Rolling Eyes

I bought this somewhere else and .. I REALLY wish WW had a better website.
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal of Our 73 SB Reply with quote

So, we got the new turn signal in ... Good German. FYI WW said that the supplier for these doesnt make them anymore. Luckily we were able to find one here in the classifieds.

Thanks for the advise.

Interesting thing when installing it I forgot to put the C clip back on. So, the wheel slid down to far and was making a connection and causing the horn to beep again. Once we got the clip back on it was perfect. It does make me wonder if I had simply added a thin washer in front of the clip, if the less expensive switch would have worked.

We got our slipping steering wheel taken care of and adjusted the wheel itself also. w00t!

Time to start on the engine! We will be going through and doing all the steps that AlmostHeavenWV_VW mentioned and then installing our new parts. Carb, fuel pump, distributor. Ignition coil we have should be fine, right?
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal of Our 73 SB Reply with quote

We are making lots of progress and having fun. However... we have a clunking in the rear that we are trying to track down. The clunck is when we hit bumps on the road.

We put on new disk breaks and everything seemed to go generally ok with that, but I wouldn't discount us making some sort of mistake.

We put some new shocks on. One of the old ones was completely gone and the other was on its way out. This seemed to help but not stop the noise.

We ordered some shock pads and have it on the list to replace those as soon as they get here.

Is this in and out play in the CV normal?

Link
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal of Our 73 SB Reply with quote

Yes
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and Appraisal of Our 73 SB Reply with quote

260KMN wrote:
Yes

Whew! That was a project that I was not looking forward to. Smile
Hopefully, the shock pads will do the trick! Smile

Sure rides smoother with some good shocks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: