Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aircraft engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nifartachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

Guys, any idea about this one?

I mean, really, ANY idea would be useful. Very Happy

Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

Wow I guess not.
I was hopeful too.
I’m not familiar enough with Type 2 engines to know if the weird fuel pump or whatever pump or Oiler thingy position is original or a mod.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

I know that Sonex uses vw engines for their kit airplanes. https://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16424&category_id=268
If you compare your pictures to the picture in this link, it looks pretty similar. Sorry, I don't have any specific knowledge about that engine.
•(__)•
(O\!/O) <--- supposed to look like a beetle Very Happy
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

I don't know much about VW engines converted for aircraft use but that's not based on a Type 3 engine.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

I'm Gonna say it's modified to mount the fuel pump there, since it doesn't run a distributor or gear the crank gear is replaced with a fuel pump cam ring to actuate the pump straight off the crank.

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

Okay, since my brother in law owns a light aviation repair facility, I know just enough to be dangerous. If you plan on sticking that engine (as long as it runs good), in a VW for just cruising around, you'll be fine. Just remember it WILL NOT be a power house. Light aviation engines, are designed to be ran at a steady mid range drone.

Now since the prop provides massive crank thrust compared to an automotive engine. There will be additional crank thrust bearing/ retainers, that will probably need to be removed. Depending on the manufacture, they can be on either end of the engine. Those are also motorcycle carbs. They are used for ease of tuning and also that they are less vulnerable to float bounce in turbulence (richness/hesitation).

Because of liability issues, I do not believe, that there is a sale value. If it was mine, I'd put an upright cooler on it, Remove the aircraft parts, and use it for a daily driver. Then sell the parts. There is a difference in liability between parts and a complete engine.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Nifartachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

Thank you all.

I would put that in my '57 bus, not hoping for any improvements, but just to brag about having an airplane engine on my bus. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

Chances are VERY GIID that the front of the case (the pulley end) was machined for the prop hub. This is a common mod on VW aircraft engines. Once done you can no longer use a standard pulley or it'll puke oil everywhere. The cost of un-doing this machine work is not worth the price compared to buying a new case.

Check carefully for this and other aircraft specific mods before investing money.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
The cost of un-doing this machine work is not worth the price compared to buying a new case.

Larger ID than a 'machine in' sand seal?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

know little to nothing about vw aircraft engines. but, I thought you mounted the prop on the bell housing end. not the pulley end. because theres nothing really supporting that end of the crank.
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

stanthedog wrote:
know little to nothing about vw aircraft engines. but, I thought you mounted the prop on the bell housing end. not the pulley end. because theres nothing really supporting that end of the crank.

The prop is mounted on the side where the crank pulley was
•(__)•
(O\!/O) <--- supposed to look like a beetle Very Happy
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
Chances are VERY GOOD that the front of the case (the pulley end) was machined for the prop hub

This is very true, but due to the small pic size, it's hard to tell. They also made a thrust adapter for the rear of the engine (flywheel area). That being said, you should easily be able to sell the aviation components for the cost of a replacement case if one is needed.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

I would not be too concerned about any liability issues selling that engine for aircraft use. They are used in the experimental aircraft category where the rules are looser and the builder/pilot takes full responsibility for what he hobbles together, maintains and flies.

I also see no reason that this engine would not be a decent one for use in a car other than the pulley end mod, if it even has one that is, and any good machinist should be able to fix up a pulley to fit it without touching the case/crankshaft.

Displacement is king in aircraft engines and it could well have very useful stroker crank and big bore P/C set. Expect a stock cam though as high rpm is not desirable in aircraft use.

This engine should make a sweet Bus powerplant or for someone that is not a screaming demon jock.
Moz'z58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

FWIW if anyone is interested - this may be a industrial with the 36hp side fuel pump on a 40 hp indstr'l case ? with boss flange in the casting.
If you really want good infos contact Great Planes (or kitplanes forum maybe) who I think was involved with the Sonerai and Sonex guy from years back to now - excellent planes and VW hot-rodders of the sky.

The accessory case on flywheel end will likely be enough to get you an accurate read from them...it may be his development.
Also the Volksplane and Ackerman's VW conversion is a possible. I have the plans for the V-plane and Ackerman was the engine machinist in that development. Another cool VW based plane is Guiseppe Vidor's ASSO Champion V, but that ran a T4 base engine as I understand.

I believe the prop hub was a interference fit heated on, not tapered, which at low rpm and light prop weight was deemed a fine way to go, but I'm guessing. Many, me included, don't like pulling the a/c off a engine case casting and small nose bearing not designed for it, and instead hassle with using the flywheel end which is also not ideal, but doable.

Anyway for VW enthusiasts wanting more arcane subject the VW aircraft is pretty neat realm to check out - The Sonerai mentioned has a long history. And in Europe back in the 50's onwards other designs like Jodel flown as ski planes for skiers in the alps etc etc. Fourneir another classic.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

There was some discussion about one of these in the "Vintage" forum...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332239

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft engine Reply with quote

If you zoom in to the fuel pump mounting/ case you can see welding ..i believe some one converted it some may say why ??? It looks like they wanted more air for the oil cooler that's flat if the fuel pump was in its original location it would block the air so they relocated it that's the only reason I see why they did it like that .....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: