Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78’ bus 2 liter, getting access to oil pressure switch
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satsloader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: 78’ bus 2 liter, getting access to oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Hi all, newby here, I’ve got a low oil pressure light, Lee at Old Volks Home in Aptos did a “top end” on it for previous owner 400 miles ago. I bought the bus last Friday, drove home 32 miles just fine, had starting problems the next day, finally got it started yesterday, but after it idled for a minute a medium high pitch sound started, and I then noticed the oil light. I shut it off and called Lee. He said to start it and rev it to see if the light would turn off. I started it, gently rev’d it and the light just got brighter and steadier ( pulsing went away ). I shut her down, called Lee and arranged to have it towed to his shop in Aptos next Wednesday. I could hear the medium pitch ( steady ) sound but didn’t notice if it increased in pitch with engine speed as I was focussed on the light. I looked under the engine and saw Some fresh oil on the front drivers side ( front as in towards the front of the vehicle ) cylinder where the head meets the cylinder. It looks like it’s originating from the top as there’s oil covering the complete front of the cylinder fins. There is no oil on or under the valve covers. FYI, the oil level if 1/2 quart low, the leak is very small.
Now to my question; Lee thought it might be weeping from the pressure switch since it’s acting a bit funny.. it looks like a tin ( is that the “taco”? ) is covering the switch.. how do you get access to the switch?

Many thanx,

Bill 831-383-4319
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 78’ bus 2 liter, getting access to oil pressure switch Reply with quote

The switch sits on top of the engine just in front of the distributor. You can access it fairly well though it is hard to see what you are doing. You will find a wire going down through an old hardened rubber boot. Remove the wire and then pry the boot out. You will now be able to see the oil pressure switch. You can use a deep socket to remove it. Be very carefully than nothing falls down into the hole in the block once the switch is removed as this location is passed the oil filter and anything that goes down into the hole is destined to go through your bearings. The correct switch has a tapered pipe tread and doesn't use a gasket to seal. You can use a tiny amount of teflon pipe dope on the threads when reinstalling.

If the lid popped off the top of the switch if will cause a fair oil leak though the light may well not come on.

Be sure to buy a new boot.

Are you sure it isn't the alternator light that came on and the alternator that is whining?
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 78’ bus 2 liter, getting access to oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Did it blow a gallery plug in the clutch housing are? That would push oil up and out the drivers front where that inspection hole is, then all over the ground.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 78’ bus 2 liter, getting access to oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Are you sure it isn't the alternator light that came on and the alternator that is whining?

That is what I am thinking.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

do this...

Have your lovely assistant put the key to the "on" position (engine not running) at the drivers seat. You will go back to the engine and remove the blue wire connected to the oil pressure switch. Some needle nose pliers help reach it next to the distributor in "the hole". There might and should be a little rubber boot over it. Take the wire off and put it back on and see if that changes the light at the speedo. Touch it to a known good ground and see what that does. Sometimes the wiring for the idiot lights gets reversed at the speedo .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 78’ bus 2 liter, getting access to oil pressure switch Reply with quote

you don't have to start a new post for every problem with Kramer. you can rename the thread "problem with Kramer" or something, and keep it in there. A new problems that you think are unrelated may not be, and we can see the whole story
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: