Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Super beetle master cylinder
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayhawkokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

I have a 74 Super Beetle daily driver, looks like the Master Cylinder has started leaking, this one has lasted 7 years. I’m getting too old to contort myself to replace them, who is a source for a top quality Master Cylinder? I don’t recall where I got this one but I think it was manufactured in Belgum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

About six years ago, I bought mine from Wolfsburg West. It was advertised as “German”. I can’t remember exactly, but I believe it was an ATE.

No problems with it whatsoever.

WW says to bench bleed, but I didn’t. I simply installed it, along with new German drums in the rear, and a front disc conversion.

First, I gravity bled the fronts, then the rears. Then my daughter helped me, using the two-man method of normal bleeding.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
jayhawkokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

This is about the 5th or 6th one in 30 years, learned my lesson early on getting cheap ones. Just found one a few minutes ago from CIP1 that is their premium one, I think it is Brax brand, $60, European made, Jbugs has a German made one for $110. There is also a big difference on the wheel cylinders. I’ve never bench bled, when I replaced the rear wheel cylinders a year ago I borrowed the vacuum bleeder from Autozone and that worked well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

Certainly there are variations in quality among aftermarket choices. You can get ATE German cylinders from WW or Febi brand or Varga Brazilian and there’s also our most favored trading partners, the red chinese. I wonder if keeping the fluid clean and water out helps at all? VW wanted us to flush @48k miles or 2 years. If I lived in Grove I might drive over to Tulsa and visit Eric at the Bughaus 😀
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

The MC in my 1971 Super is a 25-year-old rebuilt one from Autozone, with a lifetime warranty. Who would guess??
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jayhawkokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
. If I lived in Grove I might drive over to Tulsa and visit Eric at the Bughaus 😀

I will check out Bughaus, have not heard of them before. I refuse to put anything Chinese on my German VW, I will spend the kids inheritance for top quality parts.
jayhawkokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
The MC in my 1971 Super is a 25-year-old rebuilt one from Autozone, with a lifetime warranty. Who would guess??

I had horrible luck with the Autozone ones.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

jayhawkokie wrote:
Cusser wrote:

I had horrible luck with the Autozone ones.

Likely 25 years ago mine was a German casting/core.

But I have at least one rear wheel cylinder from Autozone on my other VW.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

jayhawkokie wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
. If I lived in Grove I might drive over to Tulsa and visit Eric at the Bughaus 😀

I will check out Bughaus, have not heard of them before. I refuse to put anything Chinese on my German VW, I will spend the kids inheritance for top quality parts.

www.bughaus.com
jayhawkokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

[quote="Zundfolge1432"][quote="jayhawkokie"]
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
. If I lived in Grove I might drive over to Tulsa and visit Eric at the Bughaus 😀[/quote

Have you checked out Foul Air Klub on Facebook?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

No but only because I’m not on Facebook. I’ve been to their get together in Springdale and also seen them in Eureka. Great people very active with VW scene.
jayhawkokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

I hope to attend one of their get togethers this year.

I just checked out Bughaus, they have an OEM German master cylinder for the same price other vendors have, the store is pretty easy to get to, may have to make a trip over there. I'm not real crazy about driving in Tulsa.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

jayhawkokie wrote:

I just checked out Bughaus, they have an OEM German master cylinder for the same price other vendors have, the store is pretty easy to get to, may have to make a trip over there. I'm not real crazy about driving in Tulsa.

Do it as excuse to see Route 66, yes it is on the mother road😀

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jayhawkokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
jayhawkokie wrote:

Do it as excuse to see Route 66, yes it is on the mother road😀

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I rode my trike on Route 66 over there a couple years ago to eat lunch with friends.
aj807
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super beetle master cylinder Reply with quote

Does anyone know if we can use the standard M/C rebuild kit for our 1303 M/C?
Getting a new RHD M/C is too expensive ($200 each). saw this rebuild kit from machine 7
https://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=13157&xSec=3362
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: