Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torque Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Torque Question Reply with quote

On my 1973 Super, I have to tighten the nut on the idler arm. The long bolt that goes through the bushing to hold the arm on. Does anyone know the torque on that nut? I don’t want to overtighten thr idler arm.

I read a torque sheet on here and I’m getting confused with it.

Also the lower control arm camber bolts. With the strange egg shaped washers. I don’t want to overtighten those either.

Side note. My original camber bolts had locking nuts for holding the control arms on. The new ones that came from Cip1 has just regular nuts, won’t they come loose? Or maybe I should use lock washers then?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

what does you chart say

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

<B>TYPE 1 SUSPENSION TORQUE (MACPHERSON STRUT):</B><BR><BR> 51-61 ft.-lbs. ...... Strut upper bearing nut<BR> 29 ft.-lbs. ........... Steering knuckle and ball-joint to strut bolts<BR> 7-10 ft.-lbs. ...... Front wheel bearing clamp nut screw (max)<BR> 14 ft.-lbs. ........... Strut to body nuts<BR> 25 ft.-lbs. ........... Frame head to body bolts<BR> 29 ft.-lbs. ........... Track control arm to frame head nut<BR> 29 ft.-lbs. ........... Track control arm to ball-joint nut<BR> 22 ft.-lbs. ........... Stabilizer to track control arm nut<BR> 14 ft.-lbs. ........... Stabilizer clip to frame head bolt<BR> 29 ft.-lbs. ........... Steering gear to body bolts<BR> 72 ft.-lbs. ........... Drop arm steering gear nut<BR> 22 ft.-lbs. ........... Steering tie-rod joint nuts<BR> 43 ft.-lbs. ........... Steering damper to frame head bolt<BR> 29-32 ft.-lbs. ..... Steering damper to drop arm bolt<BR><BR>

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

hope this helps

TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

halfassleatherworks wrote:
hope this helps

Thank you, I don’t have the chart in front of me right now but I was just trying to figure out which torque setting was for the nut for the idler arm. And then of course the control arms for the bolt to the frame head. It was really hard to understand the sheet I was looking up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

When they are saying steering dampner, is that the idler arm?
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

it is like a small shock absorber goes from steering box arm to middle of the chassis there is a small access plug to get to the bolt

halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

please refer to this click on the pic

https://www.aircooled.net/vw-super-beetle-shimmy-death-shake/

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

TonyPgh wrote:
On my 1973 Super, I have to tighten the nut on the idler arm. The long bolt that goes through the bushing to hold the arm on. Does anyone know the torque on that nut? I don’t want to overtighten thr idler arm.

I read a torque sheet on here and I’m getting confused with it.

Also the lower control arm camber bolts. With the strange egg shaped washers. I don’t want to overtighten those either.

Side note. My original camber bolts had locking nuts for holding the control arms on. The new ones that came from Cip1 has just regular nuts, won’t they come loose? Or maybe I should use lock washers then?

When you say "idler arm" you are referring to the arm on the passenger side of the car, correct? The arm that connects to the body of the car on that side via a bracket and the other end connects to the center tie rod, correct?
If so, are you referring to the bolt/nut that holds the idler arm to the center tie rod?
Take a look at the "1970-1979" "Front Strut Suspension" section of 1971BugGuy's torque setting list in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3715815

If I reading your post right, you are looking for the torque setting for the "Center tie rod to drop arm and idler arm nut" which is listed as 22 ft/lbs.
If I'm wrong about what you are looking for, you should still be able to find it in that list.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

Torque Wrench settings (LB FT)

Track control arm to frame head nut (29)
Track control arm to ball joint nut (29)
Ball joint stud in steering knuckle (1974) (25)
Stabilizer to track control arm nut (22)
(turn onto cotter pin hole) (29.8 )
(turn onto cotter pin hole) (3.0)
(turn onto cotter pin hole)
Stabilizer clamp to frame head bolt (1971-1973) (14)
Stabilizer clamp to frame head bolt (1974) (29)
Strut mounting to shock absorber (1971-1973) nut (50 - 61)
Strut mounting to shock absorber (1974) nut (43)
Steering knuckle axle ball joint to strut bolt (29)
Steering knuckle to strut (1974) bolt (61)
Strut to Body nut (14)
Backing plate to steering knuckle bolt (36)
Wheel bearing nut (7 (9 MAX))
(while turning wheel) (9.5 (12.2 Max))
(while turning wheel) (1.0 (1.3 MAX))
(while turning wheel)
Clamp nut screw (7 -9)
Idler arm bracket to body bolt (22)
Idler arm to bracket nut (29)
Adjusting bolt in idler arm bracket nut (14)
Center tie rod to drop arm and idler arm nut (22)
Side tie rods to center tie rod and steering knuckle nut (22)
Clamps on tie rods nut (11)
Locknut on tie rod (18 )
Steering damper to frame head bolt (43)
Steering damper to drop arm bolt (29 - 32)
Steering gearbox to body bolt (29)
Tie rod end (M12 Castellated ) nut (22)
Tie rod end (M10 Castellated ) nut (18 )
Drop arm on roller shaft nut (72)
(peen after torquing) (97.6)
(peen after torquing) (10.0)
(peen after torquing)
Universal joint shaft to worm spindle and steering column bolt and nut (18 )
Cover on steering gearbox bolt (14 - 18 )
Roller shaft adjusting screw locknut (18 )
Worm adjuster locknut (47)
Column tube to instrument panel bolt (11)
Column switch to column tube bolt (4 - 7)
Tie rod inner end to steering rack bolt (40)
Tie rod mounting bracket to steering rack nut and bolt (14)
Rack and pinion steering to steering mounting brackets nut and bolt (18 )
Rack and pinion steering mounting brackets to side members bolt (32)
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

as one of the few spots that vw actually used lock nuts i'd want them on the lower arms...since 1/4 of the thread is missing from the D shape of the bolt you cant tighten the heck out of them...and theres a lot of force on the inner bushing when cornering
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

Looks like these are the ones from Cusser's list:

Idler arm bracket to body bolt (22)
Idler arm to bracket nut (29)
Adjusting bolt in idler arm bracket nut (14)
Center tie rod to drop arm and idler arm nut (22)

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

Funny- I posted that 5 posts ago.
Must be on lots of people's ignore list, that's what insight and independent thought gets you around these parts. Rolling Eyes

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Funny- I posted that 5 posts ago.
Must be on lots of people's ignore list, that's what insight and independent thought gets you around these parts. Rolling Eyes

I’m thinking it would be attention deficit disorder or they only read the most recent post. Hey I’ve done it too. Very Happy
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

Sorry did I miss something...? Oh right! happens all the time when you're at work and occasionally quickly browsing samba threads.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Question Reply with quote

thanks everyone! Got it all buttoned up, well the front! And I got my Bentley book back today, from a friend who borrow it! Rolling Eyes

Great links too!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: