Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing Door Glass / Door Window
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Hi Ron, unless I missed it, you didn't say what year Ghia you have. If you don't have holes in the glass, then you have early glass. Someone can correct me, but I think pre 60(?) glass didn't have the holes. If your Ghia is later, then you need later model (60+) glass. If that is the situation, I think the profile of the glass was different. For example, I had a set of glass that belongs to an early convertible, unknown to me, when I tried to fit into my doors, they would not fit no matter what I did. I then picked up the proper year and now all works.

Let us know what year your Ghia is and whether coupe or convertible.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Hi Ron, unless I missed it, you didn't say what year Ghia you have. If you don't have holes in the glass, then you have early glass. Someone can correct me, but I think pre 60(?) glass didn't have the holes. If your Ghia is later, then you need later model (60+) glass. If that is the situation, I think the profile of the glass was different. For example, I had a set of glass that belongs to an early convertible, unknown to me, when I tried to fit into my doors, they would not fit no matter what I did. I then picked up the proper year and now all works.

Jeff

--------------
Jeff

It's a '59 coupe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

OK, in that case you should have the proper glass, so I guess your options are as stated, adjusting the glass in the channel where it sits is one option, but the easiest is to probably bush fix it with a shim behind the rubber and see if it moves that closer to the glass. I'm definitely no expert, just going by what I had to do. Hopefully someone with your year and model with the same experience will jump in and give better advice....I'll stop rambling!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. It is definitely a daunting task. I should have documented my ordeal a couple years ago. It took a considerable amount of time.

Marcdeb wrote:
I recently had to remove the door glass / window on my Karmann ghia. It turned out to be quite complicated. I found some step by step directions in the VW Service Manuals and spent several hours searching for information on TheSamba, but I really didn't find a clear step by step method. I also had some help from other members here on TheSamba, but even with all this information, I still had a very difficult time. I spent several hours trying lots of different ideas of which most were not helpful.

I wanted to document the method I used to remove the door glass/windows on a Karmann Ghia. I'm sure there's more than one way to do this but I hope documenting this will be helpful, and maybe other can add to the thread with corrections or additional tips.

Here is a step by step description of what worked for me. I am not saying that this is the best way or even a correct way. But it got the job done and I did not do any damage to any parts. The doors I worked on are 1970 / 1971 style. These instructions may not apply 100% to all years.

The 70 / 71 doors have 2 window felts, one on each side of the glass. 73 /74 doors do not have the same set up but this may still be helpful. Prior to 1970, I read that the doors have a Felt Strip on the inside only and anti-rattle plugs on the outside of the glass. Either way, I think how I removed my glass should still work.

The doors I worked on are in very good condition. There is a metal strip that is spot welded to the inside outer edge of the window opening. This metal strip holds the rubber window scraper in place against the glass.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This metal strip narrows the window opening and makes pulling the glass up & out of the door very difficult. My original set of doors were rusted at the top opening and these metal strips were completely gone. On these original doors, I was able to pull the glass up through the opening with no problem.

Start by lowering or raising the glass to get access to the 4 mounting bolts on the metal clamp that holds the glass to the Window Regulator. The lower bolts are shorter. The upper 2 bolts have separate nuts and go through the glass, clamp, and regulator bracket.

Gently lower the glass to the bottom of the door.

Remove all hardware from the window opening at the top of the door. In my case it was 2 felt strips, chrome trim on outside of window opening that holds the rubber window scraper. If you have any Anti Rattle plugs, remove them as well.

Unbolt the window regulator and window track and remove from the door shell.

At this point, having an extra helper will make things much easier.

At this point, the glass can be carefully raised up through the opening, however the areas where the bolts go through the clamp are raised and are the widest part that has to come up through the opening and they will not come through easily. The VW Service Manual seems to imply that the window can be turned upright and lifted but this would not work for me. The glass is curved and when it's standing up, it needs a much wider opening.

When I would raise the glass up through the opening, all seemed ok until the edge of the metal clamp on the door came to the inner lip of the opening. The edge of the clamp was always catching on the outer lip of the door. To overcome this, I put a plastic "For Sale" sign down inside the opening against the outside (back side from where you are working) of the door. I taped it to the outer door skin. The plastic sign guides the glass and clamp past the inner lip of the door.

I lifted the glass up at an angle. Being right handed, I lifted the right side of the glass out first. The bottom edge of the glass is angled so as the left side of the glass rises above the opening, slide the glass back to the left so the nuts will come up as close to the center of the door as possible. This will allow for greater flexibility when prying the opening apart. At the point that the first nut is below the opening, have one person hold and maneuver the glass. The 2nd person can then use a piece of hardwood as a fulcrum to push the edges of the opening away from each other as in the photo. The wood I used was 1/2 inch thick, 1 inch wide and 10 inches long. This worked perfectly and was very easy. The opening can be pulled apart enough to allow the glass to come through without any damage. Once the pressure is released, the opening springs back to it's original width.

71 Westfalia https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633955

74 Super Beetle Convertible Sun Bug https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748008

Past VW's:
71 Karmann Ghia Autostick. 17-21. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727596
70 Karmann Ghia driven 00-03, 67 Karmann Ghia 91-97, 74 Karmann Ghia 92-94, 71 Karmann Ghia 87-92, 74 Super Beetle 86-87, 71 Karmann Ghia 85-86 (my avatar)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Purusca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window 1972 Ghia Reply with quote

This is my third question to this Forum. So far I have been successful all the way. Today's enquiry is how to remove the Outer Window Scraper/Trim from 1972 Karmann Ghia?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing & Inserting Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

I wanted to add an update to my work on the door glass. After several weeks of procrastinating, with help from my son, we were successful in putting the door glass back into the doors today. Having an extra set of hands is a big help for this job. I gave serious thought to removing the glass from the metal bracket and then reassembling them once inside the door, but I think that would be quite involved and trying to refit the glass and rubber sleeve back into the bracket inside such a tight space just didn't seem like something I wanted to do so I decided to at least try to put them in as one assembly first and removing the metal bracket would be plan B.

When I took the glass out, my doors did not have the metal strip that holds the rubber window scraper. Now with the metal strips in place, the opening is even tighter then when I removed them so I expected it to be a challenge.

To protect the paint, I wrapped the metal bracket with clear plastic and added duct tape over the nuts on the bracket since they are the widest point that needs to pass through the opening.

I also put a small strip of masking tape on the inner edge of the door to protect the paint.

Our first attempt did not go well. We were not able to spread the opening enough to allow the widest part of the metal bracket to pass through. I decided to bend the strip of metal for the rubber window scraper outward to increase the opening. I used regular pliers along with a scrap of leather to protect the paint. I only straitened about 10 inches along the center.

This made all the difference and the windows were able to slide down into the opening just fine.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

I finally got back to work on my 71 Ghia over the past week. The window regulators have been ready since last April. The window tracks however didn't seem to work well. The mounting plates didn't want to slide on the track very well. I had cleaned them up very well, and greased them but the sliders were in rough shape and binding. It's like they were swollen from grease and age, and seemed to have a lot of gunk on them that doesn't wash off.

I have some spares to compare with and they didn't look any better, but the spares moved up and down much better. They were painted black though so I didn't want to use those. I very much doubt these blocks are available and even if they were, I don't know how they could be replaced. I had nothing to loose so I tried shaving the nylon blocks with a Stanley utility blade until they were smooth. Made all the difference. Not knowing if grease would damage the nylon blocks, I decided for now to leave them as is. There doesn't seem to be any friction on them for now.

If installing new felt strips instead of the old originals, you'll have to correctly locate the clips that fit into holes in the door. These clips have to be pressed into the felt strip securely. I found that using a properly sized socket, a large screwdriver and a hammer was the best way to attach the clips so that they stay on.

I just gave it a good hammer hit or two onto the tip of the screwdriver.

Now it was time to put all the parts back in the doors. I know now that there's a certain order that makes sense and I didn't figure that out until I made one mistake after another. So I did a lot of repeat work for nothing. If I was to do this again in the future, here's the order that I think would work best I'm sure there's more ways to do this so I'm not saying this is the way it has to be done, just sharing my thoughts.

1. Put the glass in the doors and leave them on the bottom. My glass had already been set in since last winter.

Install the rubber anti-rattle plugs if your year uses them. Different years have different set ups. On 71's there is only 2 plugs on the interior side of the doors. This was supposed to be the easy part! Turned out to be a little bit of an issue. Mostly because of poor quality repro parts!! I have a bag of plugs. Don't remember where they all came from, but there's 2 brands in the bag. One type has a brand on them that looks like a "K" inside of a "G". For the first door I just grabbed two plugs and put them in. They were very tight but with a little effort and some Vaseline, they went in ok. When I got to the 2nd door, both plugs seemed much softer and they popped in easily. Turns out they also fall off as soon as the glass touches them. The ones that are soft and went in easy didn't work and they were the ones branded with the "K & G". The harder ones worked as expected in my case?

Put in the felts and on 1971's there is a felt on both sides of the opening and they are much easier to put in if the glass is not bolted to the track.

Install the window regulator into the door using four bolts. They should all be the same length.

Put the window track with the sliding mount in place. Put the bottom screw through the elongated hole at the bottom of the door first, then mate up the regulator arm with the short horizontal track on the window mount. This should be well greased. I found it easier to turn the bottom adjustable screw in most of the way to make it easier to move the track into place. Then line up the top and install the beveled screw and washer. Put the nut and washer on the bottom adjuster screw but don't tighten yet.

Turn the window crank until the window mount is about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the door. Lift the glass up and install the two short screw first. It's important to get the right hardware for the bottom two bolts. The ones used for the window mounting are just a few mm's shorter than the four bolts used for the window regulator. Now raise the window up so that it is about 2/3s of the way up the door to allow your hand to fit behind the glass to push the longer bolts into the holes in the glass, cradle, and sliding mount. Do not tighten any of the bolts holding the glass.

Start adjustments. I found that each adjustment affected the others so I had to go back and redo the adjustments 2 or 3 times. So don't tighten anything until adjustments are all good. I had to open and close the door over and over with each adjustment.

A.
Crank the window up to the proper height by comparing the top of the window to the rubber seal at the roof edge. Adjust the height stop bolt which is at the forward end of the window regulator. Lightly lock it down by hand with the nut.

B.
Center the fore and aft position of the glass by sliding the glass on it's mount. lightly snug one bolt for now.

C.
Using a flat tip screwdriver, adjust the tilt of the glass using the slotted bolt at the bottom of the window track. This moves the bottom of the track further in or out so that the glass touches all of surfaces of the seals equally at the front, back, and top seals.

D.
Using the the same bolt, slide the bolt in the elongated hole back and forth to make the top edge of the glass level with the top seal.

E.
Revisit each of these adjustments until the window is as good as it can get. Tighten all hardware. The top two bolts that go through the glass should not be overtightened. Keep in mind that if the glass can't be adjusted perfectly, it might be due to the rubber seals needing to be moved.

I hope this can be useful to others.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Many thanks for this comprehensive illustration of how all the glass "hardware" should be installed . Applause
75 Baywindow
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Questions about hardware for the window and regulator come up from time to time so I thought I would add it here:

Long bolt with slotted end that attaches the bottom of the window track to the door.

Large beveled Phillips screw with beveled star washer used to attach the top of the track to the door.

Four small 10mm bolts that hold the glass to the Lift plate, the 2 upper bolts go through the plate and glass. There should be rubber sleeves that prevent the bolts from touching the glass. These are longer than the lower bolts and attach with a washer and nut. I suspect the washer and nut go at the back, but I put mine in the front as it was easier. The 2 lower bolts however are very short and they go into threaded holes in the plate only. If these are too long, they can potentially crack the glass. All of these bolts have concave lock washers, not wave type washers.

Four slightly longer 10mm bolts (12mms long) with concave washers that attach the regulator mechanism to the door. These can easily be confused with the short bolts so double check the lengths.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

BillieBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

I have a 1970 coupe. I'm having trouble regarding the adjusment process after reinstall. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Billie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: