Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 vw bug distributor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: 1964 vw bug distributor Reply with quote

hey everyone i know this topic has been beatin to a pulp, I have a 30/31 empi carb and was curious to run a bosch 009 dis..... with vacuum or no vacuum??? thank you all
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

sorry my "I" button is messed up and i know Distributor is spelt incorrectly.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

A 009 will work for you but you may be better off with a stock carb. You might consider a cast iron large cap Bosch 40HP.

What size engine do you have?
Is it a single or dual port?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

What is most commonly referenced as an "009" distributor is a mechanical-only advance unit, so there is no option for vacuum or no vacuum. The 30/31 carburetor has shown itself to work fairly well with the 009, though for best drivability and economy you'd be better off with an SVA (single vacuum advance) distributor or an SVDA (single vacuum, dual advance) distributor if you connect the latter to a compatible vacuum source.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

If you're talking about a single port 1200 engine, the mechanical 009 will run fine.

The H30/31PICT is a can of worms as to what distributor to use. Now you say you have an EMPI copy of the Brosol, and I've never tinkered with any of them. I suspect it's just a copy though, if it is, I think I'd go with a 205M or 205T from 68-70 with TDC static timing, 2nd choice, a 205K (which is a totally different distributor whose Bosch number ends in 009) from 66-67 with 7.5BTDC static timing. That's when you're tapping the normal vacuum advance fitting on the side of the carb. There's another fitting that's a bit awkward to get to, that can be used for an SVDA style distributor. I talk about all of this in this thread, but the SVDA info I think is on page 8 of the comments:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

I agree with Andy. I'd match a 113905205T to your engine vs. the 205K. Why? The 205T runs the more common tall distributor cap and rotor that was used through 1979. They are a few dollars cheaper to purchase.

I have those distributors restored if you need one.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

205T, and I don't have any for sale.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
A 009 will work for you but you may be better off with a stock carb. You might consider a cast iron large cap Bosch 40HP.

I have a 1200cc engine single port. You talking about a 28 pict1? I have a nasty flat spot when I first hit my throttle
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

DcWHaT wrote:
heimlich wrote:

I have a 1200cc engine single port. You talking about a 28 pict1? I have a nasty flat spot when I first hit my throttle

It sounds like you've got a stock engine which is nice. You probably wouldn't have to change much to get it back to full stock which would include the large cap cast iron I mentioned above.

What model 009 is currently on the car?
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

If you've a stock set up, The Old Volks Home (archived) has correct information on VW distributors, and tune up parts, throughout the years.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

Should be a 0231 137 009

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
heimlich wrote:

Should be a 0231 137 009

He's most likely referring to the non-vacuum version as most folks do when they say 009. When I think of 009 I think of 0 231 178 009.

When Bosch says 009 they may be talking about these (among others):

0 231 137 009
0 231 172 009
0 231 173 009
0 231 174 009
0 237 022 009
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

Mr. Mike wrote:
If you've a stock set up, The Old Volks Home (archived) has correct information on VW distributors, and tune up parts, throughout the years.

the only thing that is not stock is that its a 12 volt setup.
DcWHaT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
DcWHaT wrote:
heimlich wrote:

It sounds like you've got a stock engine which is nice. You probably wouldn't have to change much to get it back to full stock which would include the large cap cast iron I mentioned above.

its a bosch 009 non vacuum.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

DcWHaT wrote:

its a bosch 009 non vacuum.

If it were me I'd stick with it until you could change out to an original carb. Then you could switch to the fat cap cast iron distributor.

If you have an extra $125 you could try one of the distributors mentioned earlier. Just be careful where you get them. Lately I've seen some rebuilds being sent out with repairs on the clips. They stick a pin in it and call it "professional". I personally don't ever do that so watch out if you decide to go that way. If someone sends something like that to you send it back and ask them to pay shipping for sending you junk not advertised.
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

DcWHaT wrote:
Mr. Mike wrote:

the only thing that is not stock is that its a 12 volt setup.

They wont mind 12v, the voltage doesn't matter for your application.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
. Lately I've seen some rebuilds being sent out with repairs on the clips. They stick a pin in it and call it "professional". I personally don't ever do that so watch out if you decide to go that way. If someone sends something like that to you send it back and ask them to pay shipping for sending you junk not advertised.

So someone sends you their sva and the cap clip retaining ear is broken.

How do you fix it? Please post pictures

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distributor Reply with quote

I'm kind of divided on correcting what I consider to be a design flaw of the mid and late 60s vacuum-only distributors. I've posted images of fixes I've done, (I've NEVER personally ever sold a distributor, so these were all for my own use) and the one where I basically shoved some steel wire through there and bent it over is definitely not professional. However they can be done rather nicely, and personally, I'd rather not have the clips fall off.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distriibutor Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
heimlich wrote:
. Lately I've seen some rebuilds being sent out with repairs on the clips. They stick a pin in it and call it "professional". I personally don't ever do that so watch out if you decide to go that way. If someone sends something like that to you send it back and ask them to pay shipping for sending you junk not advertised.

So someone sends you their sva and the cap clip retaining ear is broken.

How do you fix it? Please post pictures

That's a different request. Fixing something for someone is one thing. Sending out a rebuilt unit with a questionable fix is something else.

I do have a nice way to fix them but I haven't engineered all the pieces. Maybe one day when I run out of good cores.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 vw bug distributor Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I'm kind of divided on correcting what I consider to be a design flaw of the mid and late 60s vacuum-only distributors. I've posted images of fixes I've done, (I've NEVER personally ever sold a distributor, so these were all for my own use) and the one where I basically shoved some steel wire through there and bent it over is definitely not professional. However they can be done rather nicely, and personally, I'd rather not have the clips fall off.

That first one looks nice. I think it's best to keep it as close to factory looking as possible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: