Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Aerodynamic Flow
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Found this picture online of what appears to be a '66 European market Beetle in a wind tunnel. Pretty easy to see the airflow separation near the top of the rear window here.

Yes that looks like I would have expected!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Got some bad news for you slalombuggy! You have the wrong car for your speed runs at Bonneville, dump the Buggy and get a Bus. You are going to be way faster!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Got some bad news for you slalombuggy! You have the wrong car for your speed runs at Bonneville, dump the Buggy and get a Bus. You are going to be way faster!

Never. I went faster in my street buggy in a mile with a mild 2332 than the current bus record with a full race 2.7L type 4 that had 3 miles to wind it up.

Like I said before Cd is one thing, trying to push the flat face of a bus with 42 sq/ft of frontal area is another.

And as speed increases in a linear fashion, the hp required to increase the speed of the same vehicle increases exponentially. You would probably be looking at needing >650hp to get a bus to do 150mph. I should be able to do it in the buggy with around 220.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

I once hauled a 440 chrysler back into town in my bus.

Just need to mount it in there and hook it up.....
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Story time!

About 25 years ago we were driving the old '69 Bus into the city and passed an officer of the law who had an old VW Bus pulled over. We were bucking a head wind and struggling to maintain 60 mph so I made the comment to the Missus that at one thing for sure was he wasn't giving out a speeding ticket!

About 20 minutes later who should pull up beside us but the same Bus. When the light turned green there was the unmistakable V8 rumble and as he pulled away I glimpsed an engine mounted midship through the side window! You just never know...
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

More aero info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Man this sucks big time!!!

Do you know how many people I have to apologize to after saying things like'

"you need a V8 in bus - it has the aerodynamics of the wide side of barn"!!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

You might not be wrong. Use that formula to calculate the drag coefficient of a barn. It might just surprise you!

The thing is, it can have the best drag coefficient in the world but if it's huge it's draggy. It can have the worst drag coefficient in the world but if it's tiny it will have next to no drag. Drag coefficient is about the shape not the size. A Bus is a big draggy turd not because of it's shape and drag coefficient but because of it's SIZE!

This thread has helped me see the difference!
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Did you see Gerrelt's aerodynamic improvements? He details the development of a roof spoiler among others, with flow analysis and tuft testing.
https://www.gerrelt.nl/section-aerodynamics
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Floating: thank you for clearly documenting your observations and thoughts.

rayjay-
Quote:
I also want to do some 'coast down' testing. I have several long steep hills nearby and would like to do experiments with aero mods and then see if there is a measurable gain or loss.
Aero mods such as a "Herrod Helper" rear spoiler, and Foxcraft-style full rear wheelwell skirts?

Another interesting anecdote on this topic. 40 yrs ago I worked at VW's Research & Development Center in Wolfsburg, Germany (FE, Forschung und Entwicklung). I was naturally curious about many aspects of vehicle development, and would walk around the many halls and buildings during lunch break or at an early end of work day. On one trip I went over to the wind tunnel complex. Around one side in the workshops, a new/upcoming vehicle (probably Golf II) was getting its frontal area measured. The car was parked indoors with nose facing out towards a large overhead garage door, leveled to design specs per ride height, tire size and inflation pressure, etc. A large screen was positioned perfectly perpendicular about 3' behind the car. The screen was more like a huge sheet of tracing paper, pulled taut onto the metal perimeter frame. The room had reduced lighting.

Outside about 100' away was a very strong spotlight, aimed in towards the car. It was most likely positioned halfway up the vehicle's height and centered left to right. The shadow of the car's silhouette shone clearly against the rear screen. A technician carefully traced the silhouette sharp edges onto the paper screen from behind the screen so as not to get in the way of the light source. This gave an accurate portrayal of the "face to the wind". The area within the edge lines could easily be determined by running a small distance roller. Effective method before widespread computer use, or to use as a reality check for computations.

In my senior year of college for Mechanical Engineering in NY, I wrote a paper for one of the classes on the effect of aerodynamics for improving fuel economy. My main resource was a technical report from the Aerodynamics team at VW from the late 1970's. One of the 2 authors' names was Hucho. The paper showed the improvements of drag coefficient by painstaking detail work on the VW Dasher (Passat in Germany) facelift for the '78 model year. The report was available via SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), and Hucho went on to write a reference book on the subject. http://www.yanfabu.com/resources/editupload/files/2013112216461820.pdf
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Jack Costella, fames landspeed race car designer and builder once said "If you can't go through the air, go under it" Many of his designs are barely knee high. Do a goggle search for images of Nebulous Theorem which is the name his cars bore. I was lucky enough to have NT III parked 2 stalls down from me on pit lane in 2018. Amazing attention to detail.

brad
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

[quote="Rome"]] Aero mods such as a "Herrod Helper" rear spoiler, and Foxcraft-style full rear wheelwell skirts? [quote]

I definitely want to do some quick and dirty fender skirts. I just now thought of taking the fenders off and doing the coast down. Actually, I think I may need a less steep hill. Hmm, just have to try it and see. Hmm, the steep hills will equal more mph therefore more drag..... Learning new things is the goal.

I have a funny 'aero' story Smile. I bought an SCCA HP Fiat 850 and put a 1300cc Abarth engine conversion in it for Solo 1 use. I moved the radiator up front and built a nice aero duct that exited out the top. I had to redo the airdam and lowered it a bit with some thick reinforced rubber strapping. The first event I ran was at an abandoned WWII training field in Bainbridge GA. The surface might have been called macadam. It was some kind of binder with pea gravel as the filler. Lots of loose pea gravel on the 45+ year old surface. At the first hard braking point my new airdam came into hard contact with the surface which threw a lot of pea gravel out front and up into the air which I then hit at a good speed. Lots of pea gravel dinking off my face shield and into the cockpit with me !! Now I saw why the original airdam was as high as it was !! When I got home and put the car on stands I could see that every forward facing vertical surface on the underside had all the paint blasted off it.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Dean Lowery did a white knuckled 111mph in a stock bodied beetle in the late 60's early 70's. He went back to the pits took the Herod's Helper off one of the road cars in the pits, put it on the race car and did a solid 132mph

I went through the traps on my first ever run on the salt at 115mph. I had been sitting in an open car baking in the sun in a 3 layer one piece fire suit for close to half an hour due to delays (we took an umbrella next time) before the run. I cooled off considerably due to the wind through my fire suit but by this time my helmet and head sock were soaked and I had sweat running in my eyes. I coasted for a bit and then flipped my visor open to get some fresh air. My head was slammed back in the seat and pulled up. I slapped my visor shut and looked down at the gps.......I was still coasting at over 90mph and my visor made a hell of a wing.

brad
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

Nice!

Too bad something like that is not practical on a street car. I used to have one of those Kamei air dams, and even that thing kept getting ripped off every time I went over a speed bump or a particularly large and juicy bit of roadkill. After a while, I got tired of patching it back up and just took it off the car. I kind of miss it now, though. I wish I still had it.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The thing is, it can have the best drag coefficient in the world but if it's huge it's draggy. It can have the worst drag coefficient in the world but if it's tiny it will have next to no drag. Drag coefficient is about the shape not the size. A Bus is a big draggy turd not because of it's shape and drag coefficient but because of it's SIZE!

Exactly this!
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Floating: thank you for clearly documenting your observations and thoughts.

Think nothing of it. I'm just happy someone out there is actually willing to read it!
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Another aero thought. DD baja bugs must have terrible aero. More or less the same frontal area but I guess the CD is real bad ????

Is even talking about CD in reference to cars a waste of time ?
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

I wonder how much drag is created by the rear half of the wheel openings ?
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Aerodynamic Flow Reply with quote

Ya tell me about wind drag haha

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: