Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing lever pin kit install questions
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

After today's short drive in the '66 , it is definitely time to tighten up that steering!
Regarding the replacement pin and bushings kit: 1) Am I correct to assume that I will NOT need a reamer due to kit having " pre-fit" bushings all ready to receive the included pin?? Kit pic shows bushings already ON the pin.(@cip site)
2.) What size brass drift to drive out old bushings? (Harbor Freight?)
Other than that , afaik the steering box is ok and I figure new tie rods, drag link and pin kit will be all I need. The sway bar is tight, dampener is new. Oh yeah, is it a real name nut buster to drive the bushings while laying on the floor!?
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

In researching Hazetguys super tutorial thread ,Splitpile sez in response: Brazilian kits do not need reaming?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

Do a search at the top of the split screen bus forum for "Brazilian Center Pin", and click on the "Titles Only" to keep the results down to just those threads on that subject.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

Nothing really comes up for that search. Smile

Here's that post from splitpile:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2767362#2767362
Quote:
If using Brazilian center pins the bushings do not need to be reamed (at least in the kits I've seen) also bay window pin bushing do not need to be reamed.

I don't have experience with this part myself
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

That still gets a great result for us. Did you fat finger it? Laughing
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

Can somebody quote the drift size? I cannot proceed without dismantling it all. Hopefully Ronnie could clarify on the Brazilian kit? Is it adjustable to wear?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
EverettB wrote:

That still gets a great result for us. Did you fat finger it? Laughing

Here's the title-only link for a search on Brazilian Center Pin
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

One result:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712974&highlight=brazilian+center+pin

What do you get?
Post the link.

Without doing title only gives more results
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=Brazilian+Center+Pin&search_forum=4
Nothing jumps out at me regarding those center pins exactly though and not having to ream them, apart from digging through the long center pin thread from the FAQ and finding that post from splitpile I re-posted above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
2.) What size brass drift to drive out old bushings? (Harbor Freight?)

If you don't have the real VW tool, I don't see a size mentioned in the center pin thread here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274893

A bunch of people said they used a large socket and all-thread to pull it out
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

I turned my own drift with an outside diameter of 1.166" which is slightly smaller than the housing (tube) section in which the bushing is driven . I incorporated a pilot with a .943" diameter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 69aircooled on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Here's the title-only link for a search on Brazilian Center Pin
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

One result:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712974&highlight=brazilian+center+pin

What do you get?
Post the link.

Got that one, the second and last post in that thread has two great links to other threads on that very subject. One of them drops you right in the long center pin thread right on the Brazilian Center Pin subject.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Swing lever pin kit install questions Reply with quote

Thanks Clara et al, I see that the Brazilian pin is not in any way beneficial even if available. I'm going all new stock parts in replacement. Just need to find a reamer to borrow locally or just buy one. Also looks like an easy (w/o a drift ) bushing removal / install ,using Hazetguys method. I am in great anticipation of driving the bus with tight steering instead of fearing the wind.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: