Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VesuveVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

The Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19 (OEM part # 321 955 531 A) is a component of mystery and (sometimes) frustration for a number of Vanagon owners. When Relay #19 finally failed in my 1987 GL (after 32 years of operation, so I honestly have no complaints about its longevity), as an engineer I became curious about the construction, operation, and repair of this component.

Some might feel that the creation of this write-up is a complete waste of time, as an OEM replacement for Relay #19 is readily available from multiple online vendors. And, I am also aware that there are at least 2 different aftermarket replacement models (Bosch, or KAE) of Relay #19 that offer adjustable intermittent wipe time intervals, plus the Passat Relay #99 also as replacement. However, this write-up is for the curious, and the type of tinkering person, who might be interested in repairing and understanding their existing Relay #19. And, if this write-up saves even one Vanagon owner some time and grief while troubleshooting a windshield wiper problem, the effort was worth it.

Failure Mode
What is the failure I experience with Relay #19? Simply, that when the wiper control lever (the lever on the right side of the steering column) is placed in the “Intermittent” position by pushing the lever down, the wipers simply behave as if you had selected low speed (wiper control lever up one position); the wiper motor runs continuously in slow speed, without the expected “one wipe cycle every 6 seconds”.

Construction
Relay #19 is constructed of surprisingly few electronic components: a SPDT relay, one transistor, 3 diodes, 7 resistors, and 2 electrolytic capacitors. Of all these components, only the 2 electrolytic capacitors came to mind as the likely failed components in this assembly.

Capacitor Failure
Many millions of electrolytic capacitors, depending on where and when they were produced, can operate continuously for decades without any problems. And also, many millions of electrolytic capacitors, depending on where and when they were produced, have failed prematurely. Thus, electrolytic capacitors have become “the usual suspects” in the failure of any electronic device.

Repairing Relay #19 by replacing the Capacitors
If you are handy with a soldering iron and solder, then replacing the two electrolytic capacitors is an easy task. I’d also recommend that you also have some ‘desoldering wick’ or a ‘solder vacuum’ to make the job easier.

The two OEM capacitors are as follows:
• 47 uF, 25V, 20%, polarized aluminum electrolytic capacitor. Radial construction (both leads come out of the same end of the case), lead spacing 2.5 mm, case diameter 6.3 mm, case height 12.5 mm.
• 220 uF, 16V, 20%, polarized aluminum electrolytic capacitor. Radial construction, lead spacing 5.0 mm, case diameter 10.0 mm, case height 14.5 mm.

If you live in a city that has a good electronics supply store, you might be able to find replacements for these capacitors, or they can order them for you. Also, you may have a favorite online vendor. Otherwise, the go-to place for electronic components is Digikey Electronics.

(www.digikey.com). The recommended Digikey part numbers are:
• 1189-2262-ND. 47 uF, 35V, 20%, polarized aluminum electrolytic capacitor. Radial construction, lead spacing 2.5 mm, case diameter 6.3 mm, case height 12.5 mm. Long Life: 10000 Hrs @ 105°C. Wide operating temperature: -40°C ~ 105°C. Rubycon/Japan. $0.28/one; $1.95/ten (plus shipping).
• 1189-1759-ND. 220 uF, 50V, 20%, polarized aluminum electrolytic capacitor. Radial construction, lead spacing 5.0 mm, case diameter 10.0 mm, case height 17.5 mm. Long Life: 10000 Hrs @ 105°C. Wide operating temperature: -40°C ~ 105°C. Rubycon/Japan. $0.51/one; $3.60/ten (plus shipping).

With Digikey, the minimum shipping charge for lightweight parts like these is around $5.00. So, go ahead and order 10 of each type, and repair your friends’ Vanagon relays while you are repairing yours!

1. With replacement parts in hand, pop the black plastic cover off of Relay #19, using a couple of small, flat-blade screwdrivers.
2. Make note of the (-) polarization stripe positions of both capacitors (see photo); you can use a fine point sharpie to mark the printed circuit board (PCB) if you’d like.
3. Remember that in electronic repair, the PCB is more valuable than the components you are replacing; so don’t overheat the PCB, or delamination of the copper traces may occur.
4. Remove the defective capacitors by desoldering, while carefully rocking the capacitor; and/or cutting apart the capacitor.
5. Clean up any excess solder from the PCB with ‘desoldering wick’ or a ‘solder vacuum’.
6. Solder in the new capacitors (again, mind the polarization stripe positions); trim excess lead length.
7. Snap on the black plastic cover, noting that the cover has a groove on the inside for the PCB, and can be installed only one way.

Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19; Analysis
Please refer to the Bentley Electrical Wiring Diagram page 97.117 (*1), and the Vanagon Owner’s Manual page 43 (*2).

In the upper right of page 97.117, Relay #19 is referred to as “WASH/WIPR INTERMT RLY”; and the “10” indicates that this relay is plugged into socket 10 of the Vanagon’s fuse/relay panel (yes, there is a molded number 10 in the fuse/relay panel, it’s just very hard to see). Also, from the upper right of page 97.117, the relay male blade pin numbers are seen, with the mating socket 10 female blade receptacle numbers:

Relay #19 Male Pin Number; Socket #10 Receptacle Number
53S; 6
15; 3
31; 4
T; 5
I; 1
53M; 2

With ignition switch ON, Circuit 15 and Circuit X (load reduction relay) are both energized. Circuit 15 provides power to the windshield wiper motor internal switch (i.e. the “home position switch”), so the wiper motor continues running to the ‘home position’ when no other power is provided by the ‘wiper control lever’ on the right hand side of the steering column.

Terminal 53e on the wiper motor is the common connection of the wiper motor home position switch. When “at home”, Terminal 53e on the wiper motor is connected to GND (i.e. frame ground or – battery terminal). When “not at home” (i.e. somewhere in the middle of the wiping motion), terminal 53e on the wiper motor is connected to +12VDC.

With the wiper control lever in the Off/O position, the wiper motor in the home position, and the ignition switch ON (15 & X ON):
• +12VDC from Circuit X, through Fuse 11, to Relay #19 pin 15.
• GND from “home position switch” in the motor, through the Off/O lever terminal 53e, out through lever terminal 53, to Relay #19 pin 53S.
• Relay 19 remains deenergized, providing a connection from Relay #19 pin 53M (the low speed winding in the motor) to Relay #19 pin 53S; thus the motor is shorted out to GND.

With the wiper control lever in the Low Speed/1 position:
• +12VDC from Circuit X, through Fuse 11, to lever terminal 53a, through the Low Speed/1 lever contacts 53, to Relay #19 pin 53S.
• +12VDC continues through deenergized Relay #19 pin 53S to terminal 53M (the low speed winding in the motor); and the motor runs at low speed.
• With the motor running, +12VDC from Circuit 15, travels through Fuse 17, through the wiper motor home position switch, to the lever terminal 53e; but the circuit stops there.

With the wiper control lever in the High Speed/2 position:
• +12VDC from Circuit X, through Fuse 11, to lever terminal 53a, through the High Speed/2 lever contacts 53b, directly to the high speed winding in the motor.
• Thus, Relay #19 can be unplugged, and high speed will still function (but the wiper motor will not stop at home).

With the wiper control lever initially in the Low Speed/1 position, and the lever is moved to the Off/O position:
• With the motor running, +12VDC from Circuit 15, through Fuse 17, through the wiper motor home position switch, to the lever terminal 53e; through the Off/O lever contacts, out lever terminal 53, to Relay #19 pin 53S.
• +12VDC continues through deenergized Relay #19 pin 53S to terminal 53M (the low speed winding in the motor); and the motor continues to run at low speed.
• When the wiper motor home position switch opens, the +12VDC (from Circuit 15, through Fuse 17) is switched off and the motor stops.

With the wiper control lever in the Intermittent/J position:
• +12VDC from Circuit X, through Fuse 11, to Relay #19 pin 15.
• +12VDC from Circuit X, through Fuse 11, to lever terminal 53a, through the Intermittent/J lever contacts J, to Relay #19 pin 1.
• Note, through parallel Intermittent/J lever terminals 53e & 53, the wiper motor home position switch is connected to Relay #19 pin 53S.
• Relay #19 energizes, connecting Relay #19 pin 15 to pin 53M (the low speed winding in the motor), and the motor runs at low speed.
• With the motor running, +12VDC from Circuit 15, through Fuse 17, through the wiper motor home position switch, through the lever terminals 53e & 53; to Relay #19 pin 53S where Relay 19 circuitry detects the +12VDC signal.
• When the wiper motor home position switch opens, the +12VDC (from Circuit 15, through Fuse 17) is switched off (i.e. switching to GND); the Relay #19 circuitry detects the signal changing from +12VDC to GND through the lever terminals 53e & 53, to Relay #19 pin 53S, where Relay #19 circuitry detects the GND signal. The Relay #19 circuitry then deenergizes Relay #19, stopping the motor.
• Relay #19 circuitry times for approximately 6 seconds, then Relay #19 energizes again; and the above repeats as long as the wiper control lever remains in the Intermittent/J position.

(*1) Volkswagen Vanagon Repair Manual, Bentley Publishers, Copyright 1991 Volkswagen United States, Inc.
(*2) 1987 Vanagon/Transporter Volkswagen Owner’s Manual, Copyright 1996 Volkswagenwerk AG.
Both of these material sources are utilized under ‘Fair Use’, as described in Section 107 of the United States Copyright Act.

For those interested in a complete, downloadable PDF document of the above, visit: http://www.sparkofimagination.com/vanagon .

Jim Howard

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by VesuveVan on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

wow. Nice!

I think I got lucky repairing mine by simply re-floating a couple of cracked solder joints!

Neil.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

Great job VesuveVan! Applause

Now, repeat that for: Engine, Cooling system, etc. Laughing

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

Nice breakdown, although I haven't heard of these units being much of a problem, I guess some must have had failures.

Now I'm gonna say something selfish and thoughtless, the thing I always get myself when I show off something new, which is someone saying "that's so cool. But why didn't you build this other thing I want?"

I would love someone with your abilities to figure out why the Digifant Idle Speed Control Units only run at base duty cycle, when idle rpm changes they don't increase on-cycle width as they should.

The obvious failure of these units is usually the motor driver transistor, as one would expect, which is straightforward to repair and in some cases restores full function. But I have several of these units, two of which have been supposedly "rebuilt", and all of them cycle the valve at one level with no feedback response. They only respond to juicing the AC or PS input signals, with an rpm increase of about 50rpm from either (but not 100rpm from both).

The base duty cycle is inadequate to guarantee stable idling during warmup, when returning to idle from speed, and when alternator loads get big, so I've resorted to running one with a boost line juiced, it runs at about 950-1000rpm constantly. Higher idle than I'd like, but a high idle I can trust is better than a lower one I can't.

Anyway, it's a far more complex thing but if you're up to the challenge, I for one would be grateful for an answer just so I can have one unit that works as intended, because when it does it's a good system.

I think the "rebuilders" don't really know and test these for full function, they probably just replace the driver and ship 'em out.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

Speaking of Satan...always use these powers for good and not evil. I need a stand alone controller for a variable vane turbo...and a pony.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
stevets
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

Wow. While lacking the capacity or ambition to put this post to much use, I certainly appreciate its complete and thorough nature. This one of those "wonder of the internet" type things if you're capable of pre-internet nostalgia.

I want to dumb it down a bit and ask if relay 19 is the likely cause of my erratic rear wipers or is the problem more likely in the switch?

They come on and off at will and, when on, run constant ( without the expected interval).
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

going to post a little resurrection on this one.

I've got all the bits here, but am having a hard time getting this wired appropriately.

Relay: 321 955 531-a
terminals: T, 53M, 53S, I, 31, 15

Motor: 1981 model
terminals: 31, 53, 31b, 53b, 53a

switch: NOS unknown year
terminals: T, L, J, 53E, 53, 53A, 53B, 31

I am having a hard time conceptualizing the diagram since a few details are off in my setup.
#1 - my motor does not have a 53E terminal
#2 - my relay does not have a J

In my picture, I don't seem to know how to leverage 53E on the switch, should it feed somewhere?

(the double wires close together are just color designations)

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

Thats a lot of work for something that is readily available for $12

https://www.busdepot.com/1hm955531
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:

It's the journey, not the destination...

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

I have the relay.. in fact, I have two relays. One OE and one aftemarket. My question is around how folks are wiring up 53E on the switch

My Build Thread:
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Corwyn wrote:

It's the journey, not the destination...

Brick wall
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

writeup in my build thread about this. It's not about the $12 relay, it's about the early air-cooled differences in wire labels.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10130344#10130344

My Build Thread:
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Intermittent Wiper Relay #19, Repair and Analysis Reply with quote

Check out this topic. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9432154 I switched over to the 99 variable delay relay and wouldn't go back to the OG on a bet.
The OEM VW 99 relays have a programmable interval of 2-45 seconds. The relay is reset to a 6 second default when the ignition is turned off.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: