Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I didn't know where to place this. So here it is.
No, I'm not dying! Very Happy

I had a conversation with a younger fella at work this week about his weekend activities.
He stated that he was cleaning up a property in Astoria, Or. Where the older family man had died. This old guy had stuff all over his property.
I said, "What? What was left over from this mans life?"
The answer was a bit shocking. There were cars all over the property. I asked, "What kind of cars?" Old "Slug bugs" came the reply.
I ask, "What did he (the young fella) do with the cars?" He grabbed them with a back hoe and had the carcasses hauled off for scrap! Shocked Oh the humanity!

A friend of mine had a conversation with an older Astoria gentleman a few years back. Who stated that he had 6 Copper Hurst shift levers in his shop. I wonder if this was the same old guy above?

So I gotta ask. Have any of you had this experience?
An unknowing person was hired to clean up a property where the old collector had passed away. And the family didn't know the value of his life's work of collecting old, possibly valuable ACVW's and rare parts. Just to hire someone and haul the stuff off for scrap?

What a waste!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

There’s also the real possibility that what one person collects, the rest think is junk. The old rusty carcasses may have been a blight to the rest of the family & they just want the crap gone. It’s not unlike all of the other weird collectibles ( Like beanie babies, Avon bottles, Franklin mint pewter cars.) that once the hoarder passes, the objects of their fancy are just junk to everyone else.

Not too long ago, I had to do the very same for a family member that had not disposed of anything since the ‘70s. I’m sure that there was all sorts of valuable shit that got tossed or donated, I didn’t care, I threw out what was obviously trash & hauled the rest to goodwill, all 75 van loads worth.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

There was a 87 years young VW trained mechanic in Powell that opened his own shop when the VW dealership was bought out. When he passed I talked with his son who lived in CA about helping sort out the stuff. His son came out buried his dad, rounded up the factory tools his dad had and went back to CA. The rest went away. All the old guys friends have no idea where it ended up, it just was gone. C'est la vei! Don't loose any sleep over it.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
There’s also the real possibility that what one person collects, the rest think is junk. The old rusty carcasses may have been a blight to the rest of the family & they just want the crap gone. It’s not unlike all of the other weird collectibles ( Like beanie babies, Avon bottles, Franklin mint pewter cars.) that once the hoarder passes, the objects of their fancy are just junk to everyone else.

Not too long ago, I had to do the very same for a family member that had not disposed of anything since the ‘70s. I’m sure that there was all sorts of valuable shit that got tossed or donated, I didn’t care, I threw out what was obviously trash & hauled the rest to goodwill, all 75 van loads worth.

True.
It's just a shame that the family didn't reach out to somebody.
Like Avery's Aircooled to dispose of the scrap. I know Jason would have jumped at the opportunity to pick an old vw collection rotting on a coastal property. He's done it many times before. Smile

I feel ya on the, "Just clean it out and be done with it attitude."
When my Grandmother died. We cleaned out her house of many years. There were barrels of fine china in the garage. Really nice stuff! We chucked it into a dumpster and had it hauled off at the end of the week, after cleaning out the house and garage. I was 15 at the time and didn't know any better.

I'm gonna be faced with the same situation as you did with the 75 van loads of useless stuff. My 83yo mother is a pack-rat! She shops everyday for useless stuff.
When she passes. I'll be renting the van to clear out the house.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

My father in law died over a year and a half ago. He left a sizable collection of model T stuff, tools, antiques and miscellaneous things a man acquires through 92 years of living. Rather than get in a hurry we are still sifting through stuff and have made arrangements to liquidate the remaining car parts in March. We had a sale last March where club members got to pick what they wanted but this time it all goes for a set price. I read a book about a year ago written by a professional mover with 40 plus years experience. He said eventually all of the stuff a person gathers and hordes will end up in the dumpster, may take a generation or two but the kids and grandkids don’t care about your brass hurst shifters. It looks like shit to them.

Each situation is different sometimes people don’t have luxury of doing things to suit would be buyers. What makes it even more difficult is dads house is 430 miles from where we live. We could have opted for quick clean out too I suppose but some of his stuff is over 100 years old. The local T club was notified and those parts are going to collectors instead of trash.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I didn't know where to place this. So here it is.
No, I'm not dying! Very Happy

I had a conversation with a younger fella at work this week about his weekend activities.
He stated that he was cleaning up a property in Astoria, Or. Where the older family man had died. This old guy had stuff all over his property.
I said, "What? What was left over from this mans life?"
The answer was a bit shocking. There were cars all over the property. I asked, "What kind of cars?" Old "Slug bugs" came the reply.
I ask, "What did he (the young fella) do with the cars?" He grabbed them with a back hoe and had the carcasses hauled off for scrap! Shocked Oh the humanity!

A friend of mine had a conversation with an older Astoria gentleman a few years back. Who stated that he had 6 Copper Hurst shift levers in his shop. I wonder if this was the same old guy above?

So I gotta ask. Have any of you had this experience?
An unknowing person was hired to clean up a property where the old collector had passed away. And the family didn't know the value of his life's work of collecting old, possibly valuable ACVW's and rare parts. Just to hire someone and haul the stuff off for scrap?

What a waste!
I would have tried to follow up with who removed them. With the price of scrap, they may be sitting in his yard, still waiting to go to the crusher!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Yepper, this happens every day all over the world.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372746&highlight=

I was waiting this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ stash out for a few years, stayed on top off it, and when they said "come get it" I jumped on it, no dicking around, they set the price & I came up w/ the cash.
If any of you folks know of a hoarder/stash, stay on top of it, check in, met any family members you can. After my Dad passed we had a few years to get the stuff gone, when my father-in-law passed, time was short, my wife & I bought a 20' container, stored all his "good stuff" in it, sorted thru the stuff over 3-4 years, I came away w/ dozens of Split Bus brochures ect., plus a sweet Mauser 7.65 rifle ....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Here is my advise for everybody out there. As you get into your senior years it is time to let your hoard go while you are still alive to move it on to a better home. Lots of estate sales end up shoveling unknown stuff out the door for pennies of their worth. Most of the junk is only valuable to the person that owns it. Get rid of your junk while your still alive.

So the guy had a few shifters worth a couple hundred bucks. The total time and investment for the family to sort thru and get rid of unknown stuff is not worth the few hundred dollars after they spent several months and thousands of dollars cleaning it up.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, one man's treasure is another man's trash.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Yeah..... we're dealing with this now.
We have a large four bedroom Ranch home in NJ we still live in. Large garage, full basement, attic and three sheds outside.

We've purchased a 676 sq ft retirement home, 26x26 with full basement and small garage.

We have the new home furnished and set up to live in.
When the day comes, what do we do with all of thus crap?!?

Our kids don't want it.

And eventually my tools!
Mechanics, Carpentry, Electrical, Plumbing, Concrete, etc etc etc.

Kids today just want to hire people! They don't want to tools to DIY!

I need to adopt me a multi talented protege !
Someone who will appreciate what I'll leave behind for them.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
There’s also the real possibility that what one person collects, the rest think is junk. The old rusty carcasses may have been a blight to the rest of the family & they just want the crap gone.

exactly. I am helping my FIL downsize. 3 airplanes, a BMW bike, cars, trucks, equipment....all sold off. that was the meat and potatoes.

TDCTDI wrote:

same here. my wife and I just can't be bothered with inventorying his life. he's still alive but the piles and piles and more piles of nails, random rusty hardware are all dumpster bait.

i'm sure we tossed some valuable shit. but we don't want to warehouse it either. I get a kick how people stroke out when people like American Pickers go into some of these places. some people are just happy to get a few bucks for their shit rather than toss it.

I hate seeing usable stuff get pitched, but there comes a time when you just have to realize you can't save it all. i'm ready to get a couple 40 yard dumpsters and bulldoze all of the remaining shit into it.

truth be told there is still some neat shit left but the reality is trying to sell it off is more work than it's worth. I told a friend if anyone wants anything, follow the dumpster. it's just not worth the effort to deal with the public or call in a estate auctioneer. I've sold off all of the big ticket stuff...the rest is pocket change

to the o/p.....sometimes people want to move fast and just feel like they have some order back in their lives after someone takes a dirt nap. they don't want to bother with showing the stuff to anyone....I get that. and chances are 85% of the stuff was really worthless....what's a rotted bug worth with no paperwork?

yea, it stinks to see the stuff get sent off and come back as a Kia, but it is what it is. our hobby is heading that way....people will laugh looking back at 100k split buses. i'm seeing it at auctions now....super clean, well documented/ built tri-5 chevy's selling for less than you can build them to that standard. everything has it's turn I suppose

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I went to a local estate sale today, everything all the contents up for grabs. The man had died 25 years ago and the wife recently passed. Doors opened at 9 and people were waiting like vultures to get in.

They descended on this place and began stripping it, whatever is left will be half price tomorrow. I bought a few tools at giveaway prices. The house and contents looked like a 60s time capsule, lots of mid century and period items. This scenario plays out every day and it’s necessary. The people buying the stuff seemed happy the surviving family members are happy to be getting rid of these items they don’t want. I can’t see a downside to this.

*update* I went back today Sunday January 19th and the remaining stuff is half off already cheap, I spent 10 bucks and got more tools but the major score was in these glass jugs, it’s been unavailable for decades.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Yeah..... we're dealing with this now.
We have a large four bedroom Ranch home in NJ we still live in. Large garage, full basement, attic and three sheds outside.

We've purchased a 676 sq ft retirement home, 26x26 with full basement and small garage.

We have the new home furnished and set up to live in.
When the day comes, what do we do with all of thus crap?!?

Our kids don't want it.

And eventually my tools!
Mechanics, Carpentry, Electrical, Plumbing, Concrete, etc etc etc.

Kids today just want to hire people! They don't want to tools to DIY!

I need to adopt me a multi talented protege !
Someone who will appreciate what I'll leave behind for them.

Dave

Dave, I vividly recall (and appreciate) our phone conversation a couple of months ago that included this topic. I, too, have a house full of parts that no lay person would appreciate, despite me labeling EVERYTHING and its value/importance. Guess I just have to sell everything before I get too old to do so. But I will reach out to certain enthusiasts and give them first dibs before I post on the general market. I've already done this with cars and certain parts (and they with me.) Thanks to this forum Wink

-Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

This subject is close to my heart being an avid hoarder myself. Dad was too and so was my brother. It stems I suppose from growing up poor-ish and having more dreams and ambitions than bank accounts. You scrounge and make things yourself.

Dad and I worked together for many years on mutual projects and I was a bit more affluent than he was so much of the tools and equipment ( welders, drill press, hydraulic press, specialty tools etc.) in his garage were actually mine. When he passed away it was not understood by the rest of the family so it was all split between myself and my brother. Ok, no problem, we got along, no hard feelings.

Last June my brother passed away unexpectedly and before you could say Jack Schmitt, the scrap metal dealer had come and gone and nothing was left. Yes he had 2 boys and 2 son-in-laws but apparently they have no ambition outside of the Wallmart/garbage dump cycle.

I am facing the same thing. I have one son and 3 son-in-laws, none of which really want any of my stuff either (a number of antiques involved) so my job over the next few years it to clear it all out so they don't have to deal with it.

Just reality...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I turned 60yo this year.
Looking at the responses to this thread. I likely need to get my shit together and make future plans for when I no longer walk on top of the soil.

My tools, will likely make it to my SIL's ranch where they will be put to good use for many years.

The Bug's and Porsche (parts cars or projects)? They likely will be scrapped. Just like in my opening statement.
I have a stash of parts in the attic space above the garage. I have labeled some of the parts too for value and what they are for.
Maybe I'll just leave a note on them, "Please call XXXX parts breaker to sell this stuff"

My driver 67, hopefully will live on with a new owner. Who knows.

Carry on!

Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

WoW !! ...
Where do you start.
"One Man's Junk is another Man's Treasures" or "One Man's Treasures are another Man's Junk".
I Buy and Sell Vintage Muscle & Vw car parts, accessories, literature, toys and the such, for many years. Belong to five different Car Clubs and we have all noticed the trend of , there's NOT a lot of young people getting involved with the old school stuff. Just look who attends the Car Shows and Swap Meets and who's spending the money. The car clubs I belong to, I'm always advertising that I buy car parts estates and I have been through many. The problem I see is a majority of us old school collectors love our era of stuff, but most that purchase items never really have a purpose but an intent to use these items someday. Swap Meets and estates are about the thrill of the hunt for good finds and awesome deals. Many buy but never sell and when they attempt to sell their thinking it's worth a fortune or their just blowing it out to get rid of it, basically giving it away because their "family" has no intent to sell or give it away, just becomes scrap. Seems like everybody loves money but they don't want to get involved selling someone's "Junk" because they don't have an outlet of someone that maybe interested in purchasing, know its value or that it takes up too much of their time. I understand Buying, Selling, Storing, Unpacking, Setting-up, Repacking, Storing on and on and on... TIME = $.
You really never own it, you just have it for awhile, eventually someone else will have it or it becomes Scrap.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Many years ago a buddy had to move his VW shop. He thought it would be a great opportunity to sell stuff and make a bunch of money. After the auction he lost his ass. The auction Co. bill was more then the total sale of the auction. He would have actually made money if he would have hauled it across the scrap scales himself.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
we have all noticed the trend of , there's NOT a lot of young people getting involved with the old school stuff. Just look who attends the Car Shows and Swap Meets and who's spending the money..

this is true. I think a lot of this as stemmed from schools pulling trade programs and selling college as a silver bullet. if there are no 'mans man' out there that actually fix stuff and tinker, the stuff left by the dying generation will end up in landfills

seems most guys these days are into beard oil and buttery soft hands while they sit at some pointless job collecting a check.

these are the same people who spent 100k+ for a degree that that can't find work in their field and live at home or in places they can barely afford. not much $$ left over to buy into any kind of hobby that requires tools....

on the flip side, my brother (younger by 2.5 years) has made a fucking killing on "vintage" Nintendo games. growing up I laughed at him having totes upon totes of games, consoles and accessories. he was the dweeb that would have 50 of the same game, but the labels were different/misprinted etc...

he sold a 1990 Nintendo World Championship Cartridge for like 18k not that long ago....so there are collectors spending money on stuff that meant something to their youth. not many people born after 1980 really 'grew up' with the stuff we're interested in.

plus as the generations tick by, not many fathers/grandfathers are of the tinker or DIY mindset anymore. my grandfather had an all out machine shop at his house....plus carpentry tools, hand tools and so on. just easier to call someone and pay the bill these days than tool up to fix it yourself...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

51yo here. Married with a disabled Wife and no kids. 3 grown Nieces would have to clean up our mess. A basement full of VW spare parts and matchbox and hot wheels from the early 90s to early 2000s. Plus my Wifes Tchotckes from throughout the years. Hoping to make some VW shows this year and start selling off some of the bulk items i don't need and ditch the stuff thats not really valuable. Tired of looking at it all
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I sold off a pile of my stuff last year,got $26000 for it and still have more to go .if I die off the wife will just call the junk man. she dont give a shit whats what, but she sure did like spending almost half of what I sold off that was to be my 356 $ to finish it.... well atleast I did manage to but a nice under powered shiney car ( roadster) with ac for my daily driver. and she hates it. witch makes me smile. she is banned from driving it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: