Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I wish somebody would come clean up my mess oops I meant my life!!!!..... Shocked Very Happy
if it were not for my kids and grand kids I would of already checked out.
my youngest is 26 today, it sure was nice to get a call from her from Kosovo today.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Anything you have not actually used it in the last 6 months get rid of it.

Nope. Nope. Nope. I've done that and kicked myself silly for not having things that I threw away and then subsequently needed. When I die, there will be a compartmentalized, labeled, notated treasure trove of nothing anyone, other than folks like me, would ever appreciate. If I have the room, I'm keeping it! Labeled bins and well organized 'til the end Very Happy

Exactly. My wife calls it "the parts department" and those bits and pieces and parts have saved the day many times. My Father in law did all sorts of projects around his house and left behind a significant collection of stuff down in the basement that I often dig through when I am up there trying to fix something.

I wish I could have a basement in Louisiana.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Anything you have not actually used it in the last 6 months get rid of it.

Nope. Nope. Nope. I've done that and kicked myself silly for not having things that I threw away and then subsequently needed. When I die, there will be a compartmentalized, labeled, notated treasure trove of nothing anyone, other than folks like me, would ever appreciate. If I have the room, I'm keeping it! Labeled bins and well organized 'til the end Very Happy

Exactly. My wife calls it "the parts department" and those bits and pieces and parts have saved the day many times. My Father in law did all sorts of projects around his house and left behind a significant collection of stuff down in the basement that I often dig through when I am up there trying to fix something.

I wish I could have a basement in Louisiana.
just either dig a basement or build 3 or 3 story. Wink Ive dug wells ,ditches& trenches in la. not that hard to do....but...it was more like arkansas...than la..up in Union Parrish. on another note...I just built a parts barn for more!!!( 2 story barn!!!with ac&heat to keep the parts&pieces cozy.) ( more shit for the wife to have to dispose of when I do check out for the last time),now Im enclosing the carport!!!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Don't delude yourself what your junk is worth.
Try and sell some, and you'll find out.

I'll never get a swap space again; by like 9AM my junk was all free,
And i left a huge pile in the lot.

It's now been four times that a friend had to move or got out of the hobby and gave me pretty much everything..
A really good friend was a professional mechanic, and came and gave me every tool he had that i didn't! Shocked

My FIL just passed, he had a couple thousand square feet of tools - mechanic and woodworking stuff.
We're just giving it all away - it wouldn't pay $5/hr. to sell it.
Everyone we knew that's old like us (50) we asked if they wanted any of it, and they all have as much as they have room for.

Nobody works on things anymore.
Nobody is taking the time to learn to use tools.
The next generation won't have the space to keep crap even if they had the desire (they don't).
Many young people aspire to not have to own a car.
Hot-rodders are going to be using wrecked Teslas.
Self-driving is right around the corner.

VW junk is going to be the junk of the junk.
There is going to be a HUGE crash in prices just like tri-five Chevies and Model Ts.
If you think you'll sell any of it for money, best hurry up!

Having kids put it all into perspective for me.
Growing up, i was all into things; go-karts, dirt bikes, all kinds of stuff.
My kids want to travel and have freedom and not be tied down with a bunch of crap.

They look at me and my giant junk pile with pity, not envy.

What’s That Noise?!?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Wow!! That was a downer!!!

But... true enough... Sad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Well north of 60

It’s wonderful being old, because the entertainment is free.

So is the symphony orchestra that plays every morning when you try to get out of bed!

Maybe heavy metal band would be more accurate...
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Wow!! That was a downer!!!

But... true enough... Sad

While it may be true for him it’s his opinion and with that type of mindset it may be self fulfilling prophecy. The people I’ve seen who are successful at selling take the time to clean and segregate items for sale. I’m not talking about busting ass cleaning either. Chrome, trim and bright work might get the once over using 0000 steel wool. Everything I sell goes on a table where it’s easy to see, no bending over going through boxes of filthy parts. Also important is the venue.

If selling car parts you want one of the larger shows with a captive audience of thousands of people and of course good weather. I’m by no means a full time or professional seller but I’ve done well every year and always sold 100% of what I brought. Some of the people I met travel a circuit doing all the shows, I doubt they’d be doing this if they kept losing their ass. When it came time to sell my father-in-laws collection of model T stuff we put out the word to the local club 6 months in advance and again did better than expected. I was most happy that the stuff went back into circulation rather than landfill.

The takeaway here is market the stuff properly, this means reaching the target audience with a large lead time and have things organized, show the items in the best light and price things reasonably. Some of the professional auction houses and estate sales will set a base price but whatever doesn’t sell gets cheaper by 50% the next day. Day 2 the vultures swoop in and get whatever stuff is left, I’ve done that myself😀 COVID has slowed things down but this spring we might see something more like back to normal.

People just giving up before noon and giving shit away I like, I’ve seen them and I’ll usually take what they don’t want and sell it later. As for the younger crowd I kept giveaway items just for them like old bearings or maybe a box of old toys. Maybe the reason kids aren’t interested in things is because parents don’t make the show a pleasant experience. What’s there for that audience? One year with temps in upper 90s I was giving away free lemonade. It didn’t cost me much but it brought in more people.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I generally don't keep junk. most of what I throw away many would consider almost new...I know what junk is.I know what wore out it.I know what rusted away is.I know what is eazely replacable and what needs to be kept because they arent quite so eazy to get or none being made. like good dist drive shafts. many people just collect shit. and many people sell it too...witch also means people are buying shit...those people usualy dont have a clue or have the means to alter it to what they want...or think they want then throw it away.or resell at the swamp meat.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I generally don't keep junk. most of what I throw away many would consider almost new...I know what junk is.I know what wore out it.I know what rusted away is.I know what is eazely replacable and what needs to be kept because they arent quite so eazy to get or none being made. like good dist drive shafts. many people just collect shit. and many people sell it too...witch also means people are buying shit...those people usualy dont have a clue or have the means to alter it to what they want...or think they want then throw it away.or resell at the swamp meat.

Beavis what is it you’re trying to say?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I'm gonna say this again.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ACTUALLY USED IT IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS GET RID OF IT.

Another rule in my life. If I can't get at least $20 for it I throw it away because it's not worth my time messing around with it.

I don't save things for the grandkids. I take it to their house today and let them store it till they are old enough to use it.

Everybody needs to have a will.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

I am sure the volunteers running the show and swap that day wee really happy with you. They had plenty to do already, now they have to clean up your pile, too.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Beavis what is it you’re trying to say?

What he is saying is that anything he doesn't want is worthless to anyone else. I love going through the garbage piles of guys like him. There are always a few valuable gems that don't fit their vision usefulness.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

If everyone truly followed that there would be no old VWs, this site would not exist nor would be any museums, libraries, RVs/campers, ski hills, skates and a host of other things! How often do you pick up a fishing rod, golf clubs, tennis rackets, go swimming at the lake? Do you throw out all your family photos once they are 6 months old? Maybe Everett should go back and delete all posts over 6 months old? Rolling Eyes
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
One year with temps in upper 90s I was giving away free lemonade. It didn’t cost me much but it brought in more people.

I've done this a few times with bottled waters in a cooler full of ice. It was shut but big sign on it saying free water. I was surprised not many people noticed but the ones that did were happy.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Clatter wrote:

I am sure the volunteers running the show and swap that day wee really happy with you. They had plenty to do already, now they have to clean up your pile, too.

I was thinking that too. Don't leave it in your spot, at least go dump it in the trash cans or dumpsters, whatever they have there.

Sacramento Bugorama the trash cans are always overflowing by the end and there are lots of junk parts left next to the cans.
At least they can roll through with the trash truck and grab the cans and anything next to them.
I see people grabbing parts too, I've grabbed a few myself.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

If everyone truly followed that there would be no old VWs, this site would not exist nor would be any museums, libraries, RVs/campers, ski hills, skates and a host of other things! How often do you pick up a fishing rod, golf clubs, tennis rackets, go swimming at the lake? Do you throw out all your family photos once they are 6 months old? Maybe Everett should go back and delete all posts over 6 months old? Rolling Eyes

You know of course these are all just opinions 😀 I’ve seen folks go to both extremes. When my buddy Jack got into his mid 80s and he had some health problems he had some lead time to get his affairs in order and he did. When he died he and his wife had sold most everything and were in a patio home. She lived another 3 years and died and the adult kids had very little to clean up. It’s what they wanted all were happy.

On the other extreme I knew an old woman who collected what you’d call junk. If you needed a part for a 20 year old lawnmower she had it. She had bikes,tools,motorcycles, furniture, housewares,some antiques and it was scary to go through there because stuff was piled high. I bought all kinds of odd stuff from her like old license plates. I took my buddy and his wife, she found Hummel figurines. On top of all that she was poor as hell I knew when I bought something she’d have something to eat that day. Eventually under mysterious circumstances the place caught fire and she lost it all.

I won’t get on anyone’s case for being either way a hoarder or like Gandhi with almost nothing. I’m just glad somebody didn’t shitcan all the old German carbs VolksBitz rebuilds or the distributors Bill and Glenn rebuild. I remember when everyone was throwing away 36hp stuff. I saw a nice set of heater boxes go for 200 dollars at swap meet.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

We moved 22 years ago. We still have 2 boxes in the basement that we've never opened. Laughing Many people have told us to drop them off at goodwill or trash them. I refuse to do that. Someday when we're too old to have anything better to do , or if we ever move again, it is going to be like a time capsule. We have no idea what's in them.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Ya it's hard to know where the proper balance is. I would love to be able to go back in time and pick a few things out of my own garbage can. Then there are things I should have let go of sooner.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
We moved 22 years ago. We still have 2 boxes in the basement that we've never opened. Laughing Many people have told us to drop them off at goodwill or trash them. I refuse to do that. Someday when we're too old to have anything better to do , or if we ever move again, it is going to be like a time capsule. We have no idea what's in them.

I was running out of gloves and thinking of buying more when the Missus brought down a tote of winter things that she had stashed for a couple years. I now have 8 pairs of winter gloves again!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

A month ago it took me 3 weeks to give away a working rear projection 47" HDTV, sat it on the sidewalk with a sign that it was free and worked, finally someone from the Craiglist ad came and got it (the 5th person who swore they were coming for it, address was in the listing).

Last week I put a non-working 36" Sony non-HDTV out for quarterly trash, and it was gone the next day.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: