Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I had an extra 17mm Snap-on hex wrench for the drain/fill plugs on the VW transmissions. I reached out to a younger 16 year old guy here on the Samba and mailed him one today. Sure it was a nice wrench. It belonged to my father and has been in the family since the late 70's or early 80's. I know I would never use it; I have two.

It was worth the $6.00 in postage to send a young enthusiast a snap-on tool. It surely has a better chance of getting used and it gets to be added to the young man's tool collection.

Why bother? I suppose it is like the story of the kid throwing starfish back in the ocean.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
I had an extra 17mm Snap-on hex wrench for the drain/fill plugs on the VW transmissions. I reached out to a younger 16 year old guy here on the Samba and mailed him one today. Sure it was a nice wrench. It belonged to my father and has been in the family since the late 70's or early 80's. I know I would never use it; I have two.

It was worth the $6.00 in postage to send a young enthusiast a snap-on tool. It surely has a better chance of getting used and it gets to be added to the young man's tool collection.

Why bother? I suppose it is like the story of the kid throwing starfish back in the ocean.

That's a thoughtful thing to do.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Don't delude yourself what your junk is worth.
Try and sell some, and you'll find out.

this^^^

vwracerdave wrote:
I'm gonna say this again.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ACTUALLY USED IT IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS GET RID OF IT.

and this^^^

i have a 40.00 rule if i'm selling online, it's 40 bux minimum before i list it. i have to laugh at all the nickel and dime stuff people sell...like used faded tail lights...

i have actually tossed stuff i have had to buy again...whatever. when i go cleaning, i dig deep.

right now i'm playing jenga and walking goat trails because i have a bunch of customer shit in my way...drives me nuts to have an avalanche of shit come down when i need that 1 thing way in the back.

anyway, i'm to the point of keeping stuff around to keep what i own going...all the surplus...see ya later.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I had a surplus complete '68 bay window front beam with brakes even 60K original miles, mint condition. Wanted it out of the way so put it on the local VW parts Face Book page for cheap. No takers when they found out I would not deliver it to their door, had to drive out of the city to get it.

I refuse to take it to the crusher so a year later I put it back on FB again for free this time and finally someone took it but I had to meet him halfway!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

I was running out of gloves and thinking of buying more when the Missus brought down a tote of winter things that she had stashed for a couple years. I now have 8 pairs of winter gloves again!

^^This is a perfect example^^
Are you bragging or complaining? Razz

You got lucky.
If she hadn't dug that box up, you would have bought another set of gloves you didn't need/already had.

This is when hoarding junk reaches 'Critical Mass'.
If you need something, and can't find it, and spend all day looking, you're a hoarder with a problem.

Have a big enough shop now, where if something goes missing, it's gone.
Can go and get another sooner than i can find it.

My FIL got to the point he didn't know what he did/didn't have anymore,
And looking to find anything was such a pain he just went and bought instead.

Hey, if digging for missing shit and finding it is your idea of a good time, then good on you.
I'm not like that AT ALL.

When i have time to go and work in my shop, i have something I'm trying to do.
If i can't find something, I feel like a total idiot.

Some are like "Let's see if we can't dig up a 3/8 drive ratchet around here somewhere"..
..Digs around in junk.. "There it is!" -Pretends it's some kind of victory-.

"OK.. Now let's see if we can find an extension.."

If you have ever been a mechanic working flat rate, if you have to dig and find everything, you starve.

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:

I'm 100% the same way.
The only reason i keep stuff is if i can give it away.
It feels really good to take some garbage from the pile and give it to someone who needs it.

Shit, i've shipped quite a few cuts to Europe now gratis.
Their stuff rusts away, and they don't have room to store junk - land is valuable.

What’s That Noise?!?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
oprn wrote:

I was running out of gloves and thinking of buying more when the Missus brought down a tote of winter things that she had stashed for a couple years. I now have 8 pairs of winter gloves again!

^^This is a perfect example^^
Are you bragging or complaining? Razz

You got lucky.
If she hadn't dug that box up, you would have bought another set of gloves you didn't need/already had.

This is when hoarding junk reaches 'Critical Mass'.
If you need something, and can't find it, and spend all day looking, you're a hoarder with a problem.

Have a big enough shop now, where if something goes missing, it's gone.
Can go and get another sooner than i can find it.

My FIL got to the point he didn't know what he did/didn't have anymore,
And looking to find anything was such a pain he just went and bought instead.

Hey, if digging for missing shit and finding it is your idea of a good time, then good on you.
I'm not like that AT ALL.

When i have time to go and work in my shop, i have something I'm trying to do.
If i can't find something, I feel like a total idiot.

Some are like "Let's see if we can't dig up a 3/8 drive ratchet around here somewhere"..
..Digs around in junk.. "There it is!" -Pretends it's some kind of victory-.

"OK.. Now let's see if we can find an extension.."

If you have ever been a mechanic working flat rate, if you have to dig and find everything, you starve.

That’s priceless and it hits close to home 😀 full disclosure we didn’t send out Christmas cards this year because the address book went MIA. Turns out it was under a pile of books. I like to read and we’ve got easily several hundred. My VW library takes up an entire bookcase. You speak truth.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

While it may be true for him it’s his opinion and with that type of mindset it may be self fulfilling prophecy. The people I’ve seen who are successful at selling take the time to clean and segregate items for sale. I’m not talking about busting ass cleaning either. .

^^Bullshit^^

You don't make anything selling VW junk, it's your idea of a good time.
Don't lie.
You get maybe $4/hr.
If you have fun, that's great, and what really matters.

It's a noble cause to help the hobby and keep the stuff here on the planet as VW parts,
But you don't make anything significant doing it. I know that for a fact.

I finally figured out what it is for sellers with a space.
Going to the flea market here, every Wed, Sat, Sun, there's these regular guys who always sell tools.
They have the best spaces, big trucks, lots of nice name-brand shit, and are there three days a week.
Because my screwdrivers are all crappy, i wanted to finally treat myself to a set of tool-truck screwdrivers.
Here this junk-dog regular has a whole set of lightly used Snap-On screwdrivers still in the package somehow.
Not new, but good enough..
Seems the price is really high, though.
Looking it up, he's selling them for more than you could get them new..!
I was willing to pay retail, even though they weren't new.
I had cash.
He held his ground on price..
Talked them up, real Snap-On, etc..
Couple of the adjacent tool dogs in their cube vans came and saw what was going on; he was standing his ground and kept those screwdrivers!
They were proud, of him, you could tell.
I see him when i go the flea (only because my wife makes me go Embarassed ) Laughing
And he still has those screwdrivers front/center years later..

So,
WTF, right?
Why do these guys take and unload ALL of that heavy shit at 0 dark thirty and spread it out three days a week?
Then load it all up at the end of the day..?

It came to me.
It's just like a car show..
People go to car shows to sit in lawn chairs and show off their shit.
The tool dogs are likewise just there to show off.
The flea is their tool show.
Talk about how great their tools are, how valuable the stuff is...
If you have valuable stuff, it reflects on you, right?
They are successful people - to be envied - because they have really nice stuff.
If someone comes and offers a price, when they refuse and drive a hard bargain, it gives them a little boost in ego, in self-esteem, reinforcing that they have nice shit, and are therefore a successful person.

Never mind that they are essentially a slave to their junk..
Loading and unloading it three days a week, probably losing money on the whole affair,
It makes them feel good about themselves.
And, after all, that's what really matters, right?

It's not about making money on the sale,
it's about making yourself feel good.

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Clatter wrote:

I'll never get a swap space again; by like 9AM my junk was all free,
And i left a huge pile in the lot.

I am sure the volunteers running the show and swap that day wee really happy with you. They had plenty to do already, now they have to clean up your pile, too.

I was thinking that too. Don't leave it in your spot, at least go dump it in the trash cans or dumpsters, whatever they have there.

Sacramento Bugorama the trash cans are always overflowing by the end and there are lots of junk parts left next to the cans.
At least they can roll through with the trash truck and grab the cans and anything next to them.
I see people grabbing parts too, I've grabbed a few myself.

^^Funny this^^
It was at Sacto I'm talking about.

The Hole family has the scrappers come through after the show.

They love it! Few other places they get to load so much scrap metal so easily.

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I sure do miss the rants... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

(Obviously.. Razz )

I'll stop now.
Because this place is, like, the BEST place on earth to buy/sell VW junk,
It's completely inappropriate to rail against hoarding parts.

I feel like some freshly-sober alcoholic, all just found Jesus and whatnot,
Going into the local dive bar and bragging to all the drunks how great it is being sober.

Then ordering a drink..

Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I realized a long time ago I could make a lot more money by volunteering for all day overtime on my day off then screwing around trying to sell my used junk at a swap meet or garage sale.

The absolute most I will pay for any used part is 1/2 of what it cost new. If you took it out of the box or opened the package , it is used.

Any cloths that I can not fit into right now gets donated or trashed. There is no more fantasy that someday I will loose weight and be able to wear it again.

My comments are about my entire life, not just my VW hobby.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

While it may be true for him it’s his opinion and with that type of mindset it may be self fulfilling prophecy. The people I’ve seen who are successful at selling take the time to clean and segregate items for sale. I’m not talking about busting ass cleaning either. .

^^Bullshit^^

You don't make anything selling VW junk, it's your idea of a good time.
Don't lie.
You get maybe $4/hr.
If you have fun, that's great, and what really matters.

It's a noble cause to help the hobby and keep the stuff here on the planet as VW parts,
But you don't make anything significant doing it. I know that for a fact.

I finally figured out what it is for sellers with a space.
Going to the flea market here, every Wed, Sat, Sun, there's these regular guys who always sell tools.
They have the best spaces, big trucks, lots of nice name-brand shit, and are there three days a week.
Because my screwdrivers are all crappy, i wanted to finally treat myself to a set of tool-truck screwdrivers.
Here this junk-dog regular has a whole set of lightly used Snap-On screwdrivers still in the package somehow.
Not new, but good enough..
Seems the price is really high, though.
Looking it up, he's selling them for more than you could get them new..!
I was willing to pay retail, even though they weren't new.
I had cash.
He held his ground on price..
Talked them up, real Snap-On, etc..
Couple of the adjacent tool dogs in their cube vans came and saw what was going on; he was standing his ground and kept those screwdrivers!
They were proud, of him, you could tell.
I see him when i go the flea (only because my wife makes me go Embarassed ) Laughing
And he still has those screwdrivers front/center years later..

So,
WTF, right?
Why do these guys take and unload ALL of that heavy shit at 0 dark thirty and spread it out three days a week?
Then load it all up at the end of the day..?

It came to me.
It's just like a car show..
People go to car shows to sit in lawn chairs and show off their shit.
The tool dogs are likewise just there to show off.
The flea is their tool show.
Talk about how great their tools are, how valuable the stuff is...
If you have valuable stuff, it reflects on you, right?
They are successful people - to be envied - because they have really nice stuff.
If someone comes and offers a price, when they refuse and drive a hard bargain, it gives them a little boost in ego, in self-esteem, reinforcing that they have nice shit, and are therefore a successful person.

Never mind that they are essentially a slave to their junk..
Loading and unloading it three days a week, probably losing money on the whole affair,
It makes them feel good about themselves.
And, after all, that's what really matters, right?

It's not about making money on the sale,
it's about making yourself feel good.

Just because you are a lousy salesman with severe depression don’t take it out on me😀
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I’d like to go on record that milking my VW brethren for top dollar isn’t my idea of fun.

What’s That Noise?!?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I’d like to go on record that milking my VW brethren for top dollar isn’t my idea of fun.

Again I’m in agreement with you. 😀 taken a step further I’ve felt better about selling cheap and occasionally giving free when you see a real need.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
EverettB wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Clatter wrote:

I'll never get a swap space again; by like 9AM my junk was all free,
And i left a huge pile in the lot.

I am sure the volunteers running the show and swap that day wee really happy with you. They had plenty to do already, now they have to clean up your pile, too.

I was thinking that too. Don't leave it in your spot, at least go dump it in the trash cans or dumpsters, whatever they have there.

Sacramento Bugorama the trash cans are always overflowing by the end and there are lots of junk parts left next to the cans.
At least they can roll through with the trash truck and grab the cans and anything next to them.
I see people grabbing parts too, I've grabbed a few myself.

^^Funny this^^
It was at Sacto I'm talking about.

The Hole family has the scrappers come through after the show.

They love it! Few other places they get to load so much scrap metal so easily.

Makes sense they would do that. They probably clean up (get it, haha!)

Still easier for them to not have to wind all over random spots and grab stuff Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

I'd tell my 42 year old self- treat your body better, eat heathy, drink less booze, quit smoking.
As far as the rest goes, have a Will, get rid of junk you have not needed or touched in 3 years, finish those projects, or get rid of them. This past year I've gotten rid of 6 dead vw engines 3-4 Bus tranys, a parts truck, an old camper my daughter left here years ago, lots of scrap steal ect... I never thought I would have my body slow me down, or not allow me to do things that needed to get done, but that time is just about here @ 60 years old...

Exactly. ALL of the above. After having a heart attack at 59.5, and a stroke a week later. I never expected it to effect me like it did. Never really gave it much thought. So many projects are currently on hold as I try to recover from it all. Worst part is I've seen more doctors in the last 5 months than I've seen in the last 45 years, tests too. That said I'm glad my son has an interest in my VWs, and other vehicles, took the time to learn/work with me on cars and fabricating stuff, so he'll be able to keep all of the junk working like I have, and most importantly keep his mom's stuff up and running. He's gone back to school (college) to learn the automotive trade, and is working part time with a local GM dealer in their apprenticeship program. He likes it, and each day is a different new experience. Much better than his last job building shipping pallets for industrial ladders. It paid good, but that was it (his words, not mine).
I know a bunch of the stuff I have around here will end up in a dumpster, as to most people it's junk. It's just karma's way of getting even for picking up someone elses hoard of stuff. It's what I get for owning my own home for the last 30 years and collecting crap during that time.
The worst part is I still have to deal with a bunch of my dad's crap, and he's still alive, but has a court order not to get rid of any of it until his death (I'm an only child, so it all goes to me). I need to get with his lawyer and add my wife to some of the paperwork, as I'm not sure I'll out live him. He's been living with us for the last 7 years, as dementia settles in, and gets worse. He just turned 87 too. He's got a 20 by 40 foot tin building in Texas (I live in Michigan) just to add to my difficulties that's got a bunch of tools and other assorted crap in it. The tools might end up going to my son, but he'll have to figure out how to get them here in Michigan. We had already brought up a few of his vehicles, but can't do anything to them (court order again) because he "can't drive". At least I wouldn't want to be sharing the road with him. Wink Hell, he can barely remember where the bathroom is sometimes. Shocked
So if you have the time, think about who or what is going to deal with your own junk you have laying around.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

You know, a lot of this thread reminds me of Russ Wolfe, and what happened with him. My wife and I spent a week helping him clean and organize his shop. We used a lot of totes and spent hours, even with both Daves (2 of them) help we did eventually get most of it cleaned and organized. I think it was 3 years later we lost Russ, and with everything in totes, made it easier for the auction people to move. I don't know what it all sold for, but I'm betting it was pennies on the dollar. Marilyn (Russ's wife) sold the house and moved to a smaller place about 20 miles away. Just something to keep in mind.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You know, a lot of this thread reminds me of Russ Wolfe, and what happened with him. My wife and I spent a week helping him clean and organize his shop. We used a lot of totes and spent hours, even with both Daves (2 of them) help we did eventually get most of it cleaned and organized. I think it was 3 years later we lost Russ, and with everything in totes, made it easier for the auction people to move. I don't know what it all sold for, but I'm betting it was pennies on the dollar. Marilyn (Russ's wife) sold the house and moved to a smaller place about 20 miles away. Just something to keep in mind.

It’s always this way if you go through an auction or estate sale. They make the money while your stuff goes for pennies. Often times the survivors have no choice time is of the essence, things are done quickly.

However I offered the other example of selling slowly over time to people that want collector car parts. This scenario works too but seems to be the exception to the rule. Not mentioned here but when our lives are over who really cares what happens to material things? If those things made you or a loved one happy and gave them joy those things paid for themselves. Let them go at any price you are moving on. Going through some of my wife’s family’s things we found pictures of her ancestors from mid 1800s and we don’t know who they are. Should we throw them away or sell cheap? Actually we are formulating a plan to donate artifacts to the historical society if nobody wants them. Example.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

You can't put a label on this that works for everyone. People are all different and life changes us many times along the way. Sooner or later, our lives change to where we need to change as well. I know people in their 80's that are still active and healthy and still enjoying their collections of what made them happy in life. I'm not there yet. Maybe someday I'll part with many of my things myself but as long as they still provide enjoyment for me, I'm not parting with anything unless it's clear to me that I don't want or need it. Even if it's not something I plan to use. If I go suddenly, then my family will have to deal with it. That's life. Their inheritance will include more than just my "Junk". Got to take the good with he bad. Neutral

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Man died. Family wants his life cleaned up. Reply with quote

I was hoping to unload alot of extra parts and a huge surplus of vw toys this past year but stupid covid killed all the local shows. So that is a goal for 2021. Also purchased my latest VW a 60 Ghia convertible. So now i have 3 old vws and i have 3 Nieces aged 28,25, and 23. They will each get a VW to do as they please when i croak. My Wife has an inherited incurable disease and is not able to drive so she would not want any of those nor would i want that responsibility to land on her plate. She has enough going on. And thats if she should outlive me which is not a given.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: