Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor steering wheel
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Barndoor steering wheel Reply with quote

Hi folks...im looking to upgrade my stock steering wheel on my 63 bug I love the standard steering wheel but notice a lot of barndoor steering wheels for sale on the classified adds and was wondering what it would take to use one on my bug what would I have to get to make it work or will it work ???
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor steering wheel Reply with quote

You have to use a dished steering wheel to hook up with a 63 Deluxe steering column. You'd have to change the column tube/shaft assembly (as well as the turn switch and horn setup) to the longer shaft design used from 59 and back (or on non-USA Standard models) in order to use a non-dished steering wheel.

Also, the early steering wheels had half the number of splines. Since it's a double, you "can" make the mismatch work, but it's not ideal. And nothing will fix the fact that a flat steering wheel needs a long steering column shaft to hook onto.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor steering wheel Reply with quote

Early bus wheels are keyed not splined.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor steering wheel Reply with quote

They are? I obviously have never messed with any of them. This is a Beetle Forum, after all. I was mostly thinking about older Bug steering wheels.

Still, even if they could fit onto the steering column shaft, you'd never be able to get any kind of flat steering wheel onto a 63 Deluxe because the windscreen/dash gets in the way.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor steering wheel Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

There are two versions 50-52 is splined and 53-55 are keyed ...
It's just i never seen anyone install one on a bug but i guess it will be a headache to do ...ill just get a bug standard wheel and use the pre59 column....
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor steering wheel Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

There are two versions 50-52 is splined and 53-55 are keyed ...
It's just i never seen anyone install one on a bug but i guess it will be a headache to do ...ill just get a bug standard wheel and use the pre59 column....

Correct.

I believe the early splines are different than most 58-67 Beetles too.
A quick search says the spline/column change for Beetles was in '59 so it might fit on a '58?

I'm still not sure it fits.

I think people find a Standard Beetle 3-spoke wheel if they want that look
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: