Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing new harness
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Installing new harness Reply with quote

Ok, so I am getting rid of my fucked up rats nest wiring on my 74 standard bought a 73 standard full wiring harness kit. Unpackaged it and read the instructions and I am pleased with the quality and confident that I can do this so I wanted to document my experience and hopefully this will help someone. So this is me just laying out the new harness and getting my bearings with the kit and getting ready to install tomorrow after work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

It's a satisfying feeling when this is done.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

My favorite project was rewiring my 70. Hope it goes smoothly for you.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

I had to install a replacement main harness in my 69 after my generator warning light wire accidentally grounded out and burned through the whole harness compromising some other wires in the process:

Not too difficult a process, hardest part by far was fishing the new harness through the rear firewall section into the engine bay.

Just curious- if you have a 74, why did you buy the 73 harness?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

Because i am bypassing the seat belt warning relay and the 73 is wired pretty much the exact same as my car.Also from what I have seen it’s hard to get a complete 74 harness and I got this brand new in the package for $150. 4 hours and I will be starting this job!!
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

The gf wanted to go out and watch the fights so I had about 30 mins to do this. Also I soaked the fuse box in vinegar and it looks brand new. Next going to prep the new harness and wrap it around the old harness so I can pull it through the engine compartment towards the front of car.

JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

The foam was not bad at all got this done in a hour.

I hope I did not mess up by cutting the factory diag plug out?
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

Any advice for how to get wires out of brake switch I am using small flat screwdriver and not having any luck?

JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

Bump
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

Have you done a search on the forums? or tried a smaller screw driver? BTW your 74 Bug has a 1975 & up FI rear apron. Do you know if it was replaced?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
Any advice for how to get wires out of brake switch I am using small flat screwdriver and not having any luck?

Found this YouTube video that shows how to take the wires out of the headlight plug. It works the same for the brake switch plugs.

Link

You just need a very small screwdriver or pin that can depress the locking clip on the female terminal. Often I find you need to apply pressure AS you pull the wire out the other end. 3 hands help here.
When reinstalling the female locking terminal you will probably need to bend the locking clip OUT so it will click into place when pushed into the plug.

There are a few places like the brake switches where you may need to clip the female terminals off the end of the wires, run the wires thru a boot or plug before you crimp a new female terminal back onto the end of the wire. This can save hours of frustration trying to force the terminal thru a small hole in the boot.

BTW, good job with your progress so far! Very Happy
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

Thank you I called and you are correct I have a older style turn signal so I guess I will just wrap up that extra wire with tape. I am so close just have to finish brake switches, wire up engine, wire the back seat area and move voltage regulator because harness has the wires set up for for it to be in the back seat area. Other than that just need to add the relays and finish the fuse box wiring then done. Oh I bought two voltage readers.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
Thank you I called and you are correct I have a older style turn signal so I guess I will just wrap up that extra wire with tape.

I see from your pics you have the early '60s front turn signals. I don't believe these had a dedicated ground wire. Take the time to add a brown ground wire on each. At the turn signal assembly drill a small hole into the metal base of the light assembly and with a small self tapping screw attach the ground wire using a ring terminal. Run this wire along with the other two wires and pass them into the trunk. There you should have a ground screw in the inner fender near where the wires enter the trunk. If you don't have the ground screw another self-tapping screw and a ring terminal on the end of the wire will allow you to have a dedicated ground wire for the lights.

JD1979 wrote:
I am so close just have to finish brake switches, wire up engine, wire the back seat area and move voltage regulator because harness has the wires set up for for it to be in the back seat area.

Are you running an alternator with an external VR? Or a generator? Where was your VR installed if not under the rear seat? If you are running an externally regulated alternator you will need to add an extra wire as they used four wires between the alternator and the back sear area.
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

I have a generator and the voltage regulator is mounted to the fan shroud.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
I have a generator and the voltage regulator is mounted to the fan shroud.

Your generator needs to be "clocked" 90- degrees clockwise.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

What do I need to do for that? I just went to look at generator after reading this and the mounting latch is completely loose? Does that have something to do with that? Also does anybody know if the blk/yel light for headlight switch that connects to #x is it a large gauge wire?

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
What do I need to do for that? I just went to look at generator after reading this and the mounting latch is completely loose? Does that have something to do with that? ...

Loosen the strap, take out the four bolts that hold the generator plate to the fan shroud, turn the generator 1/4 turn clockwise (it is attached to the plate so the plate will rotate with the generator body), put in the four bolts, tighten the strap. This is needed because there are cooling holes in the generator that need to breathe so it has to be "clocked" at a certain position. When you are done the wire terminals will be at 2:00 instead of 11:00
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

Sweet thank you I will take care of that since I am doing the harness when I get to the engine wiring here is a update on the front.

Not sure if I have this wired correct?

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
Also does anybody know if the blk/yel light for headlight switch that connects to #x is it a large gauge wire?

You should be using this '73 STD (111) wiring diagram to supplement the diagram that came with your harness.

If you look at the black/yellow (X) wire that starts at the #10 fuse INPUT (track 10) and runs to the headlight switch. Note the "4.0" in the wire path. That is the metric wire "gauge". It means the cross section of the wire is 4.0 sq-mm. Unlike AWG ratings the larger the metric number the thicker the wire. You will note that many of the main runs are 4.0 or 6.0 sq-mm while most other wires are 2.5 sq-mm or smaller. So "yes" the black/yellow wire is a heavy gauge wire because it powers BOTH headlights if running a 4-prong dimmer relay.

If you are running a 5-prong dimmer relay the wire may not need to be heavy gauge. The 5-prong dimmer relay has an extra #30 terminal which is powered from the battery. Some (but not all) 5-prong relays use this #30 terminal to power the headlights. If so, the black/yellow wire only need to be a small wire for "triggering" the dimmer relay. The #30 wire will need to be the heavy gauge wire.
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new harness Reply with quote

Well the trunk is all wired up except for two bus connectors and 3 wires from the new front harness. I have marked and labeled all the wires from the steering column harness 53 through 49 are all wiper and hazard light related which I plan to wire ,first I will refurbish the motor and buy a new hazard switch. Will I have any problems leaving the wires out? I don’t believe any of them have power but want to be on the safe side. If I could get some advice on the location of the last 4 wires from the front harness red,blk, blk/wht and blk/grn ? So how does it look?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: