Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sunroof running problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaefer1303gr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Sunroof running problem Reply with quote

Hello to everyone i own a 1973 1303 super beetle with metal sliding sunroof and i have a problem with the seal.I have the original seal but when i am trying to open and close the sunroof it the mechanism doesn't work properly.I have cleaned and grassed everything but seal looks too fat.Without the seal the sunroof works fine.Any suggestions?
Thanks
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof running problem Reply with quote

Stretch the seal when installing then trim the excess.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof running problem Reply with quote

Show a photo of the installed seal. On my 1974 Super Beetle, I had to remove the interior rubber on the front part of the seal. Then, the roof closed easily.

If yours is the same as mine, I have a thread on how to remove this inner rubber.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
kaefer1303gr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof running problem Reply with quote

Hello Tim i will try to do the same with you.Any tips?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof running problem Reply with quote

You simply make three cuts at the bottom (unseen) part of the seal. These cuts are about 1/2 inch wide at the front portion of seal of the roof.

Using a sharp razor, make one horizontal cut at the lower front center of the seal, then, right after the front curve of the seal, make a similar cut on either side. Then use needle nose pliers to pull the white interior rubber, and snip this white rubber insert with wire snips. Do this at all three cuts.

Now—at the center hole—grab one cut end of the rubber with the needle nose pliers and gently pull it out. Repeat this step for the other side.

This should remove enough hidden material so that a new—too fat—German seal will have lost enough girth so that your roof will be easier to close.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
kaefer1303gr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof running problem Reply with quote

Thanks i will try it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: