Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro 16 wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

$150 for a stamped steel wheel seems kinda absurd. Here's a perfectly decent alternative for less than half that price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/65212-Factory-OEM-Recondi...Sww4FdeFOY

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

The SA wheels are made for Mercedes, I posted pics elsewhere, it has the Mercedes part number on them. Oddly enough, the same part number comes up with a different offset elsewhere in the world (German supplied wheels) Wink

Yes. I was going to mention that fact about the South African wheels I bought from Van Cafe. I have 1 pair that's ET30 & 1 pair of ET27. The pairs were bought 2 years apart. The stamping are also different and in different location. Other than that, they look exactly the same. The gloss black powdercoating on the SA rims is high quality. It hasn't chipped or peeled at all. I put the ET27's on the rear.

I would say if you want a Syncro 16 looking rim, get the Mefro 16x6 from VC. According to Campervan, these rims are no longer being made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
$150 for a stamped steel wheel seems kinda absurd. Here's a perfectly decent alternative for less than half that price:

Yep this is what I did.

I don't think mine came from the same place but I sent the seller a message to see if they had five of them and they even gave me a discount.

I would have to look at my records but I am pretty sure I got 5 refurb 16x7 mercedes steelies shipped to my door for about $250.

Mine came from a place called Santa Ana Wheel.
https://www.santaanawheel.com/

I think they were technically from a 2004 CLK320 if I recall but I am sure the same wheels were used on many different cars.

For the record I will be running a 320mm rotor with B5 Audi S4 calipers and those require a 7mm spacer to clear the wheel
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

...and the Load Rating for them is what?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

More than enough.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

I had 2 sets of Mercedes rims that I sold off before putting into use. The mefro rims are thicker gauge steel and I didn't want to waste time bending the mercedes rims off road.
FWIW with mercedes rims you need small ball seat hardware, VW hardware will not work correctly.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Or do what I did, go down to your local Mercedes dealer and buy new ones for $69 each, no shipping. I do wish they were silver, no black. No drilling, no machining. Need hardware though. Double check me, but M14 with 17mm radius, which is often called R12.
Also, double check, but I believe Audi TT lug bolts will work (can't remember W and/or W/O spacer) and Rien ones are $1.04 on RockAuto.

I wound up buying my hardware from Otis Inc., but only because T3 was not available at the time, else I would just go there for peace of mind and I everything else from there has been really good.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

Keep in mind that car wheels are thinner than the Mefros. If you don't plan on off-roading, you should be fine. If the MB rims are the same thickness as a Jetta rim, they will bend. I hit a pothole in New york in this pic. The good news is that it still held air.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

I guess if it was a real concern then you could get 8 or 10 budget car wheels for the price of a set of 4 Mefros.

In my two wheel drive I probably won't be doing to much crazy stuff off road anyway

With taller sidewalls and a proper all terrain tire I will take my chances off road with my car wheels and an spare on board.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: