Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced wiper motor...now they go the wrong way
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced wiper motor...now they go the wrong way Reply with quote

I can now confirm that the Bentley manual is wrong. It should be 180 from how it says, basically up away from the motor body rather than down toward it as pictured. Of course the gear broke again anyway, so I’ll have to deal with that, but now we know how it’s supposed to point.
'78 Transporter - Gone
'69 Baja - Gone
'91 Vanagon Carat - Gone
‘71 Bus - Gone

Current: ‘74 Westy 2.0L, hydraulic valves, dual EMPI 34s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced wiper motor...now they go the wrong way Reply with quote

I don't know if this applies to your situation but when I was messing with my wipers on my forester, I put the assembly in wrong and had the same issue. Its hard to explain but basically the scissor type arms were out of phase, they were put in facing the right direction and attached at the right points but instead the cross section leaning to the right they were leaning to the left (or vice versa). Rotating that to the other direction fixed the problem.
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced wiper motor...now they go the wrong way Reply with quote

Thanks, I’m giving that a shot. It appears that they go in the right direction with this orientation, I’m just hoping they go the whole distance. Fingers crossed, and I’m taking photos for future documentation.
'78 Transporter - Gone
'69 Baja - Gone
'91 Vanagon Carat - Gone
‘71 Bus - Gone

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced wiper motor...now they go the wrong way Reply with quote

Since the current action of your wipers seems to be the 'opposite' of what it should be, maybe you could try
installing the drive crank in the 'opposite' fashion, i.e. 180 degrees rotated. I recall that many years ago
when I was messing with the wipers on my '71, I found the Bentley illustration to be wrong, according to how
my correctly functioning wiper motor was arranged. I made some
notations in my Bentley, but I'm not sure now how they should be interpreted. One straightforward way of
looking at them is that the Bentley manual illustration was 180 degress, or almost so, off from mine.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Replaced wiper motor...now they go the wrong way Reply with quote

As is typical, the plastic gear on my wiper motor broke. Replaced it with a good one, but didn’t pay as much attention as I should have when I took the old one out since it hadn’t quite been parking in the right spot anyway. I reassembled per the Bentley instructions, lining up the bent metal piece off the shaft with the body of the motor. Put everything back together, plugged it in, and the wipers go down and then up, rather than up then down. What did I do wrong? Does anyone have a pic of how the motor and assembly should sit in the parked position?
Thanks!
'78 Transporter - Gone
'69 Baja - Gone
'91 Vanagon Carat - Gone
‘71 Bus - Gone

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: