Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dougs 56 build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

Volksvr6gti wrote:
I recently posted a separate thread in the oval forum about the correct location of the bumper overrider holes for the front and rear. To my benefit a member posted some links for me that included templates that VW used to measure the hole location. I will post those links here as well, for anyone that may read this thread in the future and might need this information:

Front overrider holes:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/a7/9_55_page2.jpg

Rear overrider holes:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/a7/9_55_page4.jpg

I was able to duplicate these templates with some card stock paper and they worked out great.

thanks sharing that, I was looking those exact dimensions !!
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

Today I finished up the small job of the beetles jack mini restoration. This is how the jack looked prior to getting it all tidied up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had most of the parts blasted and powder coated in black and had the base powdered in a blue. The shaft, spring, and 3 clips I wet sanded 600-2000 and then steel wooled 0000 with mother’s mag polish. All in all it looks crisp Wink

Small fun project.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

Wow, nice!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

working on a few small projects here and there, one of which is the pedal assembly. I decided to tackle some of these small fun ones while getting the body components worked on and getting the shell out to paint. The shop is a tad behind, but should be getting my bug in shortly.

So here is what my pedal assembly looked like before the mini Resto:

I had everything powder coated with the exception of the accelerator pedal and the main body. I decided not to get these 2 parts done as I did not want the original VW roller pedal to melt and get ruined and have to run an after market one. As for the main body I didn't want the bushings or internals to get coated and cause the parts to not move freely. So these 2 parts I sanded down and primed and painted black. This is before:

Here is all the finished parts prior to assembly.

I cleaned and degreased all the internal moving parts and then greased them back up with new stuff. This past Christmas I received these small logo VW pedal pads; I could not locate a set of large logo ones and these are next best. Here is the final finished product:

Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

That looks awesome.

The bushings were still nice and not too loose I presume? I am debating on replacing the bushings on mine when I get to that point.
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

yeah it still all moves nice and smooth so I figured I would just keep what was in there. Some of these after market parts I am finding out quickly are far more inferior than the original stuff. So try to save what I can and they still looked good as well.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

Looking good on the pedal assembly.
So satisfying to restore something to near new again.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

How much are you charging to restore jacks? Man it looks great
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
How much are you charging to restore jacks? Man it looks great

Lol send it over Smile I was very impressed at how nice it came out. I ended up taking the 3 retaining clips/ rings and polished those with my dremmel. I used some stainless steel compound first to get the grit off and then used some white rouge to get it high gloss finish. For the main body of the jack I used 600, 800, 1000, 2000 grit and wet sanded. After this I used 0000 steel wool dipped in mother’s aluminum polish. That polish works so great with steel wool and is easily workable and brings the shine right out.
The black parts and the blue foot were blasted and dropped off at the powder coasters. The black was Porsche specific and the blue was a little trickier to match. They ended up buying 3 different blues and we came up with this shade.

All in all it came out looking stellar. Those retaining rings were very difficult to work with and get seated while working around the finished powder coated pieces.
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

Well today was an interesting day, I cleaned out the garage and made more space for the bug and then Chris Vallone from Classic VW Bugs gave me a call and we did a zoom / video chat. He has been wanting to do a video with me on the new BBT front fenders and the rear Klassic Fab fenders. It should be out in a week or so Wink you will be able to see the body lines and finish up close if your interested. I also ended the day with straightening all of the channels throughout the engine bay and front cowl that hood in all of the rubber seals. I also marked up the remainder of the bug for the paint shop and she is officially done on my end and just awaiting pickup from the painters. I’ll keep you all posted as I receive Body shots of her Smile
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

looks like you made a nice fender comparaison review:

Link

My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

Hahahaha there it is Wink

It was pretty cool, Chris was a pretty cool guy to chat with on the video and off the video. Very informative and good info. I have used quite a few of his resources to help along the build process. And if I get hung up on something I’ll shoot him a text or email and he responds the same day. Overall fun experience Smile

And everyone gets to see my stellar garage....lol..... I really need a workshop or 3 bay garage haha. It gets quite crowded
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

This week I decided to tear into my original front beam. I’m going to restore this one the same way I did my narrowed beam earlier in this thread. I will paint it with the master series and refresh everything. Here is what I started with:

Original Boge shocks and trailing arms with the early shock retaining clips:

Early trailing arms with welded end torsions

Overall she has seen better days and was caked up. Over the last few days I got all that gunk off and here’s the update:

You can see the original bushings in the tubes. They appear in good shape; however, my trailing arms show some wear. Wonder if these bushings may have been replaced at sometime and that is old wear on the arms?

Finished stripped beam done with wire wheel on a grinder and wire bits on a drill:

Now I know they make poly bushings which I would like to avoid... I do not believe that needle bearing will fit the early beam as they are 46 mm bearings and the ID of the tube is 45mm (if I’m correct). I see WW sells these:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111401315

But aren’t these just the inner bushing? Or can you use these for both inner and outer and then team them?

Or is it best to just try to clean and preserve the current original bushings and grease them well?

Opinions welcomed Wink
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

With everything cleaned up slip the trailing arms into their places, grab the end of the arm and try moving it around, if there's movement you can feel then the bushes need addressing, otherwise grease them babies up and roll it

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
With everything cleaned up slip the trailing arms into their places, grab the end of the arm and try moving it around, if there's movement you can feel then the bushes need addressing, otherwise grease them babies up and roll it

x2

Looks like no real wear. Was there any play in the links or kings? If not, paint and reassemble.

That’s a nice front beam!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

I’ll go ahead and put the arms in the beams and give it a little wiggle test tomorrow. Should there be absolutely no wiggle or if there is very minimal wiggle, they still good?

Also the king and links seemed to be fine. I may just replace them while I have it all apart though, as I have another new set in the garage
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

Remember that any more than a mm of movement in the arm will be amplified through the steering and affect the tracking of the car when driving so the less play the better

modok wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

You should feel no wiggle. I usually check for “play” with the components together. With it apart, you have to measure everything.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
You should feel no wiggle. I usually check for “play” with the components together. With it apart, you have to measure everything.

Well I do suppose that makes sense. I should have tested before stripping it. Now that it’s all apart, how would I measure the inner bushing? I know measuring the trailing arms and outer bush will be cake. But the inner seems like a no go. Is there a special way to do this?

Also if I go the route of putting it all back together to check for movement, do I just need to put the torsion bars back in and the trailing arms and grub screws? Or do I need to reassemble everything including shocks, spindles, tie rods etc?
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dougs 56 build Reply with quote

Just put the arms in the beam and push/pull, no need for the leaves etc

modok wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: