Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Speedometer Cable Install
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

I've got a new speedometer cable ready to install. I've got the cable, the grommets, and the circlip. Should I lubricate the cable before installation, and if so what's the preferred lubricant?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

A new cable from a reputable vendor comes pre-lubed.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
I've got a new speedometer cable ready to install. I've got the cable, the grommets, and the circlip. Should I lubricate the cable before installation, and if so what's the preferred lubricant?

Make sure you can easily rotate the cable, by hand, before installation. If there are any "catches" or hard to turn spots, don't use it. Went through 3 last time I replaced mine to get one that ran smoothly. Any catching or binding mean bouncy speedo. All with a rebuilt speedo from GW - that works perfectly BTW and is adjusted for my taller tires. All of mine were purchased from our well known reputable vendors, but I don't think there are too many reputable manufacturers out there anymore.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

This is what I ordered. Thanks for the tip of checking for binding before installation!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
This is what I ordered. Thanks for the tip of checking for binding before installation!

Doesn't look like any of the brand I got, based on the packaging. On one of mine the collar where the speedo connector was swaged onto the cable was a bit oval. So it bound on the squared corners of the "drive" part of the cable. The other I don't know, it just bound up unless it was perfectly straight, and then wasn't that easy to turn. Lubing didn't help. Finally my last one from VC was smooth turning by hand, and with a cordless drill it was smooth and quiet. Been fine for 2-3 years now but just about ready for a re-lube (fine around here, but when I go to the coast in the cool and damp, it grumbles for a while when I first start driving).
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing this new cable. It’s a one piece that bypasses the original two cable box. The original two piece cable configuration was causing the speedometer to bounce too much.

Install was fairly straightforward. Big thing was just routing and zip tying so it’s doesn’t bind. Took it for a quick test drive, and the replacement made the speedometer quite a bit smoother.

stevets
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

Not to redirect this thread but I discovered something speedo cable related on my 84 that I thought I'd share.

No speedo first time I drove it . Disconnect at "junction box" and both ends spin free and speedo works!

Went to inspect the hub cap/cable junction and the cap spins on the hub. It's as if someone turned a couple thousands off the hub so the cap will keep junk out but will not hold to the hub tight enough to make the cable spin. The square cable end and square hole in hub are factory new and the clip is present and properly installed.

This HAS to be the biggest fluke ever or an underhanded but clever plot by someone who did not want miles added to the odometer.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

@stevets-Now that is a strange situation! If the if the bearing dust cover spins inside the brake rotor hub does it make any kind of noise?

stevets
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

I've driven the van less than a mile. Just got it going after years of being parked and was listening to the motor!

But the cap rides on the outermost part of the hub - it does not fit inside the hub. I can put the cap on and off the hub with 2 fingers and it will not bind to the hub. Gave it a couple good hammer blows with a 20 something mm socket as a driver. Other side is fine and fits like any other cap of this type I've come across.

I know it sounds weird but I'll post a video tomorrow.
Odd_Dutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

Had the same issue on mine, gave it a small tack weld to secure it.
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Speedometer Cable Install Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Install was fairly straightforward. Big thing was just routing and zip tying so it’s doesn’t bind.

Everyone do yourselves a favor and tie a string to the hub end of the old cable before you remove it. If you're foolish like me and don't do that, you will find it very helpful to removed the windshield washer reservoir (two M6 bolts) to route the cable to the right spot.

BTW, the plastic connector on the speedo end of the cable was fragile on my replacement cable and broke before I even finished the install. It is possible to de-swage the connector from your Hannover-original cable and install it on a new one; use a drift to remove the swage and swap it out. Use a couple of Vise-Grips or big slip-joint pliers to install on the new cable.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: