Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

Dangermouse wrote:
When I busted loose the axle nuts on my single cab I took this approach which worked well. 46mm nut so couldn't use the torque meister. Cost me zilch. 3/4" breaker bar and a scaffolding pole FTW.

My first "immobilizer" was a piece of angle iron with two holes drilled in it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Moz'z58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

Looks like you may need other suggestions...?

For me, and most with these cars = 3/4 drive proto breaker bar and 6 point hvy dty Proto and Snap-on impact sockets are my method, with a 4-5' x 1" section of black gas pipe cheater over the bar - this is the way I went when I got my bus in 80's. If your going to drive these you have to invest somehow, esp'ly now when NO ONE will work on them.

I have a tape marker to stand my weight on for final torque guesstimate of 256 I believe for the 46mm bus. Keep in mind it is only near to correct because rarely will that official # number line up with the cotter, which is obviously the failsafe. So backing off to get hole may be 190#. or over to 350# Doesn't matter, it is 'enough' but do keep TRQ as high as possible or drum will work itself on the axle splines. Pack grease into the gaps of splines and get interfaces well greased too to 'seal' for water ingress.

Breaking a 1/2 square drive means you need a 'solution'. My own first problem and lesson in '86 was same as your doing now. A neighbor solved it for me by cutting the nut with a dremel and cut off wheel - took 5 minutes. the cut through was enough relief and it came right off with a cold chisel into the kerf.

But with low bucks I'd try PB Blaster, tapping around the nut also w/ ball peen, and keep soaking - maybe a few days. Then clean it off for less fumes, and apply some heat, but not too much just to where you can't touch it, not red hot or anything near it. Don't heat the axle end, keep flame on nut only Then see if a fresh 1/2 drive will work again if 3/4 investment or rental is no-go.

Otherwise get a new nut and cut this off. Or sell the car Wink Hope you get it - patiently applied persistence is the key Twisted Evil
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

First question... did you remove the cotter pin? Sorry, just had to check.

The point about applying 1100lb-ft... if you were actually able to stand on the 6ft piece of pipe while applying the toque to the nut for a few seconds I might agree with you. I suspect BEFORE you could actually stand on the pipe the 3/4" to 1/2" adapter snapped off. This means before you could actually apply the full 1100lb-ft the adapter broke. I'm pretty sure the adapter wasn't rated to even half of 1100lb-ft. So I doubt you will actually be applying 1100lb-ft nor should you need that much to break the nut loose. But 500lb-ft, maybe. Confused

When I first tried to remove my rear axle nuts I broke both a Craftsman and Proto 1/2-drive breaker bar. Only the Snap-On 1/2" breaker survived. The nut gave a huge screech when it came loose.

Since then I bought a 3/4" breaker + a 3/4" 36mm socket.
I also bought the TorqueMeister/TorqueBuddy tool. It really is quite amazing and makes it much easier to remove the nut. It really only takes 30-50lb-ft of torque at the tool (450lb-ft) to remove even the most stubborn nuts and only 24lb-ft to install. It really feels like it isn't tight enough because it is sooo easy.
Given a choice, I'd much rather remove the nut with one hand using a 3/8" ratchet + 11mm socket, than to dangerously apply 400-500lb-ft by jumping on the end of a 6ft long bar.

Here are my suggestion for getting the rear axle nut off.... for all, apply penetrating oil and some heat before-hand to aid in loosening the nut.
    1) If still driveable, take it to a shop with a 3/4" impact gun and have them loosen it for a few $$.

2) When your 3/4" 36mm socket arrives you should be able to apply enough torque to remove the nut. The challenge will be to keep the drum from rotating. Even with the transmission in gear with the parking brake set it may be necessary to apply so much torque you will end up rotating the wheel. In which case you will need to mount a bar to the lug nuts to prevent them from rotating.

3) Buy a TorqueBuddy.

4) Buy a slug wrench. They do work for taking the nut off, but you may damage the tire/wheel/drum if you are not careful.

5) Cut the nut off and buy a new one. This is not that difficult. As long as you take caution to not damage the threads you should be okay.

There is one situation (not your case) where only ONE of the above will work to remove the nut... if you strip the splines on your drums the drum/wheel cannot be used to counter the torque you are applying. This means the parking brake and the lug nuts thru a bar/angle iron will not help. Only the impact gun will be able to remove the nut off the end of the axle.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

When you start pricing a “quality” 3/4” breaker bar & socket, a torquemeister starts to look more appealing & fits in a smaller space. And like the Torquemeister, you will not really have any other use for them.

But as far as the Torquemeister goes, why in the hell did they opt for 11mm?!?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

I bought my TorqueMeister tool as a better alternative to buying a torque wrench that went to 250 ft lbs for tightening. I had been borrowing such from O'Reilly, and figured the only thing that would require such high torque on any vehicle (past the 150 ft lb of my HF torque wrench) would be rear axle nut and gland nut, so Torque Tool was less expensive than bigger torque wrench.

I haven't had real issues removing rear axle nuts or gland nut myself, but now I have the Torque Tool for that too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

Had that same problem with a 67 bus. Took a acelean torch. Get the axle nut red hot. Then try above methods. Works for me and should work for you.
tacky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

[quote="TDCTDI"]
Dangermouse wrote:
Doesn't matter what size drive you use as long as it terminates in an 11mm socket... Anyone tried 1/4" ? Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

anybody know if this Torquemeister tool will fit Porsche pattern disc brake rotor????
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

Get the torque tool and never jump on dangerous long breaker bars again.

The tool makes it soooo easy. All you need is a 3/8 ratchet. Hell, a 1/4 would do it no problem.

No more rounded axle nuts. No busted knuckles. No damage to the car rims. No falling off jack stands.

The first time I used it to take off my rear drums I was amazed on how easy and CONTROLLED it was. When I put them back on, it was so easy, I did it twice to make sure it was right.

I used to hate removing the rear drums because all of the issues using long breaker bars, and the problem finding a large enough torque wrench to get them back on correctly. With the torque tool, is easy peasy. You can dial in how much you torque gets applied easily, with one finger.

My only complaint about the torque tool is I didn't buy it years earlier.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

tacky wrote:
anybody know if this Torquemeister tool will fit Porsche pattern disc brake rotor????

The tool is designed for use with either 5x205 or 4x130 bolt patterns only. If you're talking about the 5x130 Porsche pattern, it won't work unless you modify the tool or make some sort of an adapter.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

How often does one need to take off the drums? If often, then will readjust my thinking and have one ordered.

Any time you need to do rear brake work, or any time one of your rear axle seals at the wheel bearing end decides to spring a leak.

Also works for removing/installing the flywheel gland nut (in conjunction with a flywheel lock).
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Cusser wrote:
I'm in Arizona, have been taking rear axle nuts and gland nuts off for almost 50 years now. I use a Craftsman 1/2 inch breaker bar (my friend broke it twice over the years, free replacement) with a 4-foot pipe over it. I use a 1/2 drive 12-point socket I bought in early 1970s.

Then I got a Harbor Freight 1/2 drive electric impact wrench for $50. And a decade ago I got a 36mm impact socket, so that was my #1 to use. But I admit during my engine rebuild and brake upgrade in 2016-2017 after my 1970 had sat for 23 years, one rear axle nut and the gland nut needed the extension pipe on the breaker bar method (electric impact states about 230 ft lb torque).

So since then I have received as a gift a Torque Tool, but haven't had need to try it yet.

Since you're completely cross town, I think I'd ask a tire shop or similar to loosen for you. Maybe someone used red Loctite there.

And your point is?

Well, was going to say ParaTransit is only $4 each way anywhere in the county and could come by to borrow the torque multiplier you offered to, though this post...

Cusser wrote:
rcooled wrote:
If you really need to get an axle nut off and don't have the right tools at hand

Then you shouldn't be trying to work on an old VW !!!

And it's "axle", not "axel" !

I am glad you can spend money freely. I am disabled, unemployable, hell, can't even volunteer! In part because some woman plowed into the back of my classic Mercedes wagon shortening about half a meter, giving me a TBI after-which, have trouble with dyslexia. I don't have income, except food stamps, instead, Brother pays for the parts and tools from the minuscule Special Needs Trust containing the accident settlement. The only way Ruby is getting done is because of the generosity of theSamba and friends (ex. lending tools).

I totally understand struggling with finances and being disabled, but I think if anything, the Torque Meister is perfect for you. If you truly want to work on these cars, this tool makes it so convenient. The only thing you would really need help with is maybe installing a beam or engine. It will give you freedom to do these aggravating jobs all on your own. I hate that my Bus has 46mm nut that won't work with this tool. I feel like a caveman going back to doing the other methods when I have this tool in my box.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

The only problem I had with the Torque Multiplier was it was for standard vw lug nut threads and didn't fit the wide 5 -14 mm studs pressed into my drums on my buggy. Tried to drill it out and was a no go had to grind out the holes to fit over the studs. was impressed in the heat treatment in the steel. Its a great tool worth every Penney.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
I am disabled, unemployable, hell, can't even volunteer!

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

I don’t know exactly how much torque I was putting on it but when I was tightening my 1971 bus flywheel a few years ago, I had a brain fart and attempted to torque it with the wrench set to the full torque.... using a torquemeister. I think I was over a calculated 1000 ft lbs when the gland nut snapped. That was with a 3/8” drive ratchet.

And on my 1967 bug, I forgot to break the axle nuts loose before pulling most of the rear suspension out. Using the torquemeister was almost a one-handed job on both side. You can see I’ve got the old Duralast 1/2” drive breaker bar out, but I didn’t really even need it.

It is essentially a gear reduction device. Takes a large input at low force and make a very small output at a much higher force.
Yes.. it is a tool you would need to buy or borrow. I am not saying you need one to get your axle nuts off. I am saying it makes the job simple and is worth having if you ever do the job more than once.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

That’s funny, I did the same thing while reassembling the engine on my 67, luckily the remaining gland nut came out easily!
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
3/4" breaker bar, very short 3/4" extension, 3/4" 36mm socket, 5ft of 1-1/4' dia. galvanized pipe.

To remove the "rt side axle nut" place the 36mm socket on the nut with the breaker bar clocked to the front of the car, place a little grease on the breaker bar handle, slide the galvanized pipe over the handle about a foot. Place the car in neutral and roll the car forward until the pipe touches the ground. Get in, Start the car and drive forward. LET THE CAR DO THE WORK!!

For the left side do the same in reverse and back up instead.

So simple I can get tools and install and loosen the nut in less than 60 seconds.
I can appreciate this being another way to do this, but sounds like a way for things to go bad in a hurry.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

I bought the CIP1's version of the Torque Meister when I was doing the brakes. I have subsequently used it on the gland nut as well. Makes life so much easier! I am sure that breaker bars with extensions and all other methods work but personally, I would much rather do it with a tool that makes life easier for me.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

MAKE LIFE EASIER ! Three pages on this topic to do 60 seconds worth of work!

3/4" breaker bar, very short 3/4" extension, 3/4" 36mm socket, 5ft of 1-1/4' dia. galvanized pipe.

To remove the "rt side axle nut" place the 36mm socket on the nut with the breaker bar clocked to the front of the car, place a little grease on the breaker bar handle, slide the galvanized pipe over the handle about a foot. Place the car in neutral and roll the car forward until the pipe touches the ground. Get in, Start the car and drive forward 1 ft.. LET THE CAR DO THE WORK!!

For the left side do the same in reverse and back up instead.

So simple I can get tools and install and loosen the nut in less than 60 seconds.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

that sounds like it works for removal, how do you set tourque on installation?
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the axel nuts off is a snap... Help! Reply with quote

My no-snap wrench.
A friend made this for me when we worked on bug's a lot, has never failed on the rear nut's.
I think I need to clean it up and paint it, it's 30+ years old.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: