Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AHU Swap Question - Turbo Spacer Needed / Recommended?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: AHU Swap Question - Turbo Spacer Needed / Recommended? Reply with quote

1.6 TD jX being swapped out for a 1.9 mTDI in a 91 Syncro Doka.

Research tells me that, in the case of an AAZ swap, as the AAZ block is slightly taller the turbo usually sits a little higher than the standard position.

A turbo spacer (~15mm thickness0 mounted between the exhaust manifold and the turbo inlet moves it back to pretty much exactly where it would be as standard allowing the use of the original Oil Feed, Oil Return and Exhaust system without modification.

Would this be the case for an AHU as well, which will presumably have the same dimensions as an AAZ block (same bore x stroke if not mistaken)?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AHU Swap Question - Turbo Spacer Needed / Recommended? Reply with quote

The AAZ and AHU blocks are exactly the same except for the machining for the crank position sensor in the AHU. Interestingly enough, the boss for the crank position sensor is even cast into the AAZ block. The AHU and AAZ cranks are even the same except that the AAZ crank does not have the crank position trigger wheel attached to it.

I do not know if the oil feed will fit the same. The JX and the AAZ/AHU oil filter flange are different.

A spacer would make up the difference for the turbo mounting and the oil return line.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AHU Swap Question - Turbo Spacer Needed / Recommended? Reply with quote

I ended up using an AAZ manifold and then manufacturing an adaptor plate for the AHU turbo. You really can't see it on my Oh no, another Vanagon TDI swap thread but this set up allowed me to properly clock the turbo inlet and outlet and have the oil drain pointing downward. I ordered a turbodiesel vanagon oil pan from Brickworks in England and then manufactured my own drain line. Hayden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: