Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'66 13-Window in Iowa
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Laughing I was wondering the same thing! Yes there is liquid in the cylinders. Not knowing how long it had been since the engine had turned over I squirted some MMO in each cylinder and let it sit a few days. Believe me I was shocked at first too. I'll know much more after I pull the engine next week and begin the rebuild.

Good to see someone online here from Iowa.

Jeff (Solon, IA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Well finally found some spare time to remove the engine from the bus. One of these days I'll begin to dismantle it and see what I can discover why it is seized up. I could not believe how light weight this engine was. I'll keep you posted in what I find.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeff in Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Maybe the engine was just having a 'liquid lock up'. Too much gas or oil in a cylinder will prevent from turning over on compression stroke, because the liquid has nowhere to go with valves closed. last pic looks like a mirror image of half of the piston top in said liquid. try turning the engine over with all spark plugs removed. be prepared for a mess.

I predict you do not have a mechanical problem at all. Get that stuff out of there and let her roll ! Very Happy

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

difordman

You are correct their is/was liquid in the cylinders. It's Marvel Mystery Oil that I injected into the cylinders to see if I could free them up. I tried turning the engine over with plugs removed before the MMO and even with a big wrench it didn't want to turn.

The condition of the engine when I purchased the bus was an unknown. Who knows the last time this engine was fired up, so I thought I might have had
corrosion in the cylinder walls.

New coil, points, distributor cap, new plugs and when I went to fire it up it seized immediately. I let the MMO sit in the cylinders thinking it would work, no luck.

I'll dig into the problem and see what I can discover.

Thanks alot for the input.

Jeff in Iowa
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

yes, rings getting stuck on corroded cyl spots sounds very plausible. Fingers crossed that its no major issue!

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
yes, rings getting stuck on corroded cyl spots sounds very plausible. Fingers crossed that its no major issue!

Thanks, I hope so too. 4 degrees above 0 F. here so I've been rearranging the shop and preparing a work space for the engine off the floor. My days of kneeling/bending over are limited. 65 degrees in the shop with a fridge full of beverages.

Take care
Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Managed to get the engine lifted up onto a work space and the dismantling began. I went as far as I felt comfortable. Now it's time to do a bit more reading on dismantling the rest. Looks like I'll also need to pick up a couple metric wrenches (Large) for the fly wheel and the crankshaft pulley.

Jeff in Iowa
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Engine is torn down to the bare block. Still haven't been able to budge the gland nut on the flywheel, so I'll take it down to a mechanics shop on Monday. Interesting that I still can't turn it over since it's seized, esp with the heads and cylinders all off. Must be a bearing on the cam shaft? At least that's what I'm thinking anyway, and I'm not a mechanic by any means.

Managed to remove two pistons but still can't remove the pins on the other two pistons because the are still partially in the block assembly.

Cylinders and pistons/rings all looked flawless. Appears that it may have been recently rebuilt.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Did you make any more progress on this?
(Your neighbor to the north...)
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: