Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
d3ac0n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

Is the correct flywheel endplay measured when pressure is applied against the flywheel or is it measured without pressure applied?

I ask because when I have my flywheel pulled all the way out away from the case and my dial indicator zeroed out, shims installed (no oil), gland nut nice and tight (but not torqued to spec) ill then push flywheel in towards the case as far as it'll go and ill get .004"

But...

If I press very firmly against the flywheel and maintain/hold the pressure my indicator reads .009"

Which reading do I go with, the one with pressure applied or the one with no pressure?
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

No pressure. The force you are applying is flexing the assembly and giving you a false reading.

Push or pull, release, then take your reading with the flywheel at rest. Your .004" is probably pretty accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

I also measure the play (with a dial indicator) without the flywheel seal installed.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

I hate to start a cat fight but it is possible to set the end play without the crank & flywheel being installed in the case and just sitting on the workbench.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

I am interested to hear this method. Please explain.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
d3ac0n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:

x2!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I hate to start a cat fight but it is possible to set the end play without the crank & flywheel being installed in the case and just sitting on the workbench.

Bama Dave wrote:

I’m gonna go out on a limb, and guess with feeler gauges kinda as you would measure connecting rod side play? Install the flywheel with two shims, and the bearing, then measure what you have left. Subtract your desired endplay, and there’s your last shim size.

I’ve usually done it at the shortblock stage where the crank is easy to move. If you’re trying to set it on a longblock, if you rotate the crank so the pistons are at the top/bottom of the cylinders where the rods are changing direction, that takes a little pressure off the rods to allow the crank to move easier. And yes, no seal, no o-ring. I’ve seen more than one person pinch the o-ring upon final assembly, so if you’ve magically gained a .001-.002 from your last trial assembly, take it apart to see why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

There is a formula in the Bentley for this:

Install flywheel with 2 shims.
Measure end play.
Convert it to mm (assuming you have a dial gauge in inches).
Take that reading in mm and subtract .10mm.

The answer is the size of your third shim, in mm.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

When doing a "push/pull" check like on an assembled engine, push and pull from the opposite end as your micrometer. (Flywheel or pulley.) Do it a few times and look for consistency in your measurements. Make sure to oil the shims before installation.

When building an engine, I like to use a feeler gauge stack as mentioned above, then check for final end play with a .003" or .004" feeler gauge between two shims. This is done with the flywheel tight, but no seals or o-rings installed. No distributor drive gear either, since that can bind the works up sometimes.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

I use the distributor rotor to move the crank to check end play...

Link

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
laststarfighter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

Please let me know if I understand correctly.
1. measure existing endplay
2. remove flywheel and main oil seal and take out one shim, leaving two.
3. put flywheel back on without main oil seal or O ring (or leave in the old O ring? ) and Bentley says torque to minimum 75 ft lbs to measure.
4. measure endplay again.
5. take the difference in the two end play readings and subtract .004 inches to get the thickness of the third shim.
6.put 3rd shim in
7.put in the main oil seal and new O ring seal with lube and lube the gland nut
8. torque to minimum 225 ft lbs but not more than ?

Is this right, especially about doing the second end play measurement and shim swapping without the main oil seal being in?
Thank you
laststarfighter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

Sorry it was page 2-36 of the Haynes Repair Manual.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

laststarfighter wrote:

Depends WHAT yo are doing

-If measuring the end-play existing engine built correctly
1. measure existing endplay, if beyond .012" rebuild engine as soon as practical.

-If flywheel and/or crank is replaced.
2. Install flywheel onto crank with two shims
4. measure endplay
5. choose shim stack to give desired clearance
8. continue assembling whatever

-Measuring existing engine possibly built by moron
1 measure existing endplay
2 ponder if it was ever set right to begin with
3 flip a coin, double check? or run it anyway and see if it gets worse?
4 recheck it anyway, well..... actually no, just leave it alone already and get a life. Ok maybe later

-When changing only the bearing, (crank and flywheel ok)
1.Compare thickness of old bearing to new,
2.if the same, and the old shims are in good shape, assemble with all three shims and it will be same as it was before, tho verify it is.
13. if not the same, compare with specificatuins in book, if close enough... change shimstack accordingly, or if the bearings change colors and begin singing, seek medical attention.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

To measure on the bench without assembly,
Depth mic end of crank to thrust surface.
Depth mic flywheel thrust to crank seat surface (where dowels are).
subtract flywheel depth from crank depth measurement.
remainder is/should be overall bearing thickness, shims, and end play combined.
Takes all the variables out,numbers don't lie.
Assumes all surfaces are ground correct and square.
The way it's done in the factory, they also assembled the crank,flywheel,bearing shims and seal and dropped into case half, no one was tapping in seals and checking an indicator. Wink
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
laststarfighter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

thank you. I appreciate the help
will work on today when the digital dial guage.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
To measure on the bench without assembly,
Depth mic end of crank to thrust surface.
Depth mic flywheel thrust to crank seat surface (where dowels are).
subtract flywheel depth from crank depth measurement.
remainder is/should be overall bearing thickness, shims, and end play combined.
Takes all the variables out,numbers don't lie.
Assumes all surfaces are ground correct and square.

I see a problem with the above method of measuring each component separately and calculating the shim thickness needed...
The above has you taking two or three measurements (crank, flywheel and bearing thickness?). Each measurement has an allowed measurement error (for example, +/- 0.001"). With three separate measurements, you have to add these up. Worse case they are all leaning one way and stack to a large possible error (eg. +/- 0.003").
When you assemble the crank+bearing+shims+flywheel and take a single measurement that measurement has a single measurement error, potentially making the measurement more accurate that calculating from three separate measurement.

Factory processes are also designed to be efficient within the allowable tolerances. I'm sure it is faster to take measurements once and assemble once rather than putting the parts together and then taking them apart before putting them back together once more. Given the abundance of time you have putting the engine together in your garage you can afford the extra time to assemble/disassemble/re-assemble things multiple times. Often the "factory does it this way" doesn't map well when building an engine at home where you lack the tools/resources the factory had. But you are also not under the same deadlines. Smile
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

laststarfighter wrote:
1. measure existing endplay
2. remove flywheel and main oil seal and take out one shim, leaving two.
3. put flywheel back on without main oil seal or O ring (or leave in the old O ring? ) and Bentley says torque to minimum 75 ft lbs to measure.
4. measure endplay again.
5. take the difference in the two end play readings and subtract .004 inches to get the thickness of the third shim.
<...>

Just pointing this out so no one uses the above steps as described...
The first measurement is with the oil seal and o-ring installed.
The second measurement is without the oil seal and o-ring. So part of the measurement difference may be influenced by the sear or o-ring.

Basically, if you have a good method for measuring end play (dial gauge or feeler gauge), take a measurement with 2 shims but without the front main seal and without the o-ring. Subtract the desired end play from this measured amount and you have the needed thickness of your 3rd shim.
One measurement, one calculation.
And once the engine is assembled, take another measurement to confirm.
Yes, this will be with the front seal and o-ring installed.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
70 GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

Joey wrote:

Link

Thats frikkin ingenious!
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
laststarfighter wrote:

Depends WHAT yo are doing

-If measuring the end-play existing engine built correctly
1. measure existing endplay, if beyond .012" rebuild engine as soon as practical.

-If flywheel and/or crank is replaced.
2. Install flywheel onto crank with two shims
4. measure endplay
5. choose shim stack to give desired clearance
8. continue assembling whatever

-Measuring existing engine possibly built by moron
1 measure existing endplay
2 ponder if it was ever set right to begin with
3 flip a coin, double check? or run it anyway and see if it gets worse?
4 recheck it anyway, well..... actually no, just leave it alone already and get a life. Ok maybe later

-When changing only the bearing, (crank and flywheel ok)
1.Compare thickness of old bearing to new,
2.if the same, and the old shims are in good shape, assemble with all three shims and it will be same as it was before, tho verify it is.
13. if not the same, compare with specificatuins in book, if close enough... change shimstack accordingly, or if the bearings change colors and begin singing, seek medical attention.
"Measuring existing engine possibly built by moron" LOLOL you just made me spit out my morning coffee! Then for some reason the letters GEX seem to be floating in my mind...
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Correct method, Flywheel Endplay Measurement? Reply with quote

70 GHIA wrote:
Joey wrote:

Link

Thats frikkin ingenious!
Right! Now I need to try that this evening!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: