Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro speedo cable correct routing? Also BMW booster
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Syncro speedo cable correct routing? Also BMW booster Reply with quote

Hello!

I just completed my Syncro conversion and I bought a one piece speedo cable, but the cable is catching inside the sleeve. so the speedo needle is bouncing a bit.

Also the bigger brake booster is pushing on the cable. I removed the screws to leave the cluster loose to see if it would be better, but I`m still not satisfied although it got much better.

I ran the cable out of the differential, then following the longitudinal passenger frame rail by the brake proportioning valve, cut across in front of the shifter box then go on the driver side of the radiator up to the speedometer like any van. I put a couple zip ties, no hard turns.

How was it run on a factory Syncro?
I took mine apart almost 10 years ago, I have no recollection....

Thank you!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro speedo cable correct routing? Also BMW booster Reply with quote

I don’t recall anything unusual routing my one piece cable on the Syncro conversion. Is the drive gear in decent shape?
yellowjacket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro speedo cable correct routing? Also BMW booster Reply with quote

Routed my one piece cable the same way the two piece w/counter cable is routed. Hope I'm remembering this correctly. The cable comes out of the diff case (passenger side) and loops up and rearward over the diff and runs along the drivers side with throttle cable (or wiring bundle along frame rail) to the front then up and into the cabin forward of the dash. Where it goes through the front sheet metal, keep the cable as close as possible to the front for best angle into the speedometer. No tight bends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro speedo cable correct routing? Also BMW booster Reply with quote

Awesome!

Thank you guys, I have it routed the opposite way, I'll try that.

The plastic gear is in great shape Wink

Aloha 🤙
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
vanagonliebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro speedo cable correct routing? Also BMW booster Reply with quote

I was struggling with this same issue for over a year and finally found a path that eliminated the vibration so figured I'd share: I went out of the differential and forward up by the brake line box then crossed over above the coolant pipes and shift rod to the wiring bundle/throttle cable and forward from there(removing the window washer tank to run cable up). Out of the differential make sure the cable swings out wide towards the frame. If anyone is having this issue feel free to message and I can send you a picture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: