Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car covers for 411 and 412
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Car covers for 411 and 412 Reply with quote

So...its nice to find a product that works (so far) and fits for our cars.

When I moved from Des Moines to Oklahoma City a year ago....I lost my garage space for my 412. Being out in the elements and not everything sealed, first day I bought a car cover.

Fairly basic but supposed to be water repellent and breathable. It sucked from day one. In one year...it has literally fell apart to shreds and leaked water into the car. It was treated nylon type from O'Reillys.

So I started shopping around...and came to these guys:

https://www.carcover.com/

I bought their "Goldshield 5L" for $149.00. It took about 6 days to get here.

Specs:

5 layers
Lifetime warranty (may actually be 10 years...looking into it)
Plastic grommets for lock wire
Two ballistic nylon underneath straps with adjusters
Basic shape and size fit per vehicle
waterproof
Fleece lined
Breathable.
Comes with locking wire kit and a nice storage bag made of the same material.
Comes with Antenna patch for those cars that cannot remove or retract the antenna

It actually fits nice. It has a little extra material here and there but its not just a bag. It rained that very night and the water beads up like wax.

I will have to check...but a lot of these covers have mirror reliefs to fit over mirrors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is their vehicle calculator and pricing. I thought...hey...my car is in their calculator...so maybe this thing actually fits. It did quite well!

The bag with rope tie and wire lanyard, lock and antenna patch

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Car covers for 411 and 412 Reply with quote

I bought one at Costco for my squareback, but it was short at the bumpers. I replaced it on my type 34 and it fit as if it was custom made. Pics soon. It also fit my 411 too short on the rear part.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED

Last edited by ALLWAGONS on Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Car covers for 411 and 412 Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
I bought one at Costco for my squareback, but it was short at the bumpers. I replaced it on my type 34 and it fit as if it was custom made. Pics soon.

The one I bought,and show here is just outstanding. It has very strong elastic at both ends, cront end is marked, has UHMW scratch free grommets fir the locking lanyard that comes with it....is damn waterproof. Ray
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Car covers for 411 and 412 Reply with quote

Hello,
That looks like a nice fit, even for a wagon.
I began looking around and thought that maybe one for VW Jetta or even Ford Focus wagon might fit.
What is everybody else using?
cheers,
Abel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: