Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Nice work. Your before and after pictures are amazing.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Nice work. Your before and after pictures are amazing.

Marc

Much appreciate the kind words. Really feels good to be down with the "rust repair" stage of the restoration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

As I mentioned in my last post back in Oct 2021 I had finished all the rust repair on the car and was in a hold pattern for painting until the weather here in Maryland got warm enough for me to start painting. I don’t have a paint booth and limited space in the garage, which is not climate controlled, so I do my painting outside on the driveway.

Fortunately we had some unusually warm weather in the last week or so which allowed me to do some painting. Was able to apply a sealer, basecoat and clearcoat to the underside of the engine cover, door edges and door jams, trunk area, and some misc small parts. The color is the original Cypress Green that was mixed for me by TAMCO Paint and looks to me like a good match.

When the weather cooperates and I have the time the plan is to remove the rattle can primer and apply a high build primer. After block sanding the primer I will be applying a sealer followed by basecoat and clearcoat. The car will be two tone with the roof painted to match the interior color (also custom mixed by TAMCO Paint) and the lower body section will be Cypress Green.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

The color looks really good. Some cars just naturally work better with some colors and I think Cypress Green really works on Karmann Ghias. NIce work. You must be excited to see color going on.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Looks good, nice color. Always like seeing people do their own bodywork and paint.
I’ve painted cars in my car port over the years and my garage. Hanging up plastic sheets helps to keep the dust and bugs out of the paint. Less color sanding that way.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

I haven’t been very good as far as keeping this thread up to date. Have made limited progress since my last thread partly due to other things getting in the way, such as doing spring maintenance on my boat, projects around the house, etc. etc. In any case, here is a summary of what has been done to the KG since my last post.

The parcel shelf black plastic cover was in pretty bad shape. The plastic had degraded (color had faded) and was no longer laying flat due to being exposed to the sun. Didn’t really want to buy another plastic cover to put on the shelf so decided to see what I could do with the existing cover. Using a heat gun, I was able to get it to lay flat again. Rather than painting it with plastic spray paint I decided to cover it with that “waffle” design non-slip shelf liner stuff you can buy for lining drawers and shelves. After all, it is a “parcel shelf” so why not use a shelf liner to cover it? Spent less than $12.00 at Amazon for a 12 inch x 10 feet sheet and had a choice of 10 different colors. The color I used on the parcel shelf is Graphite Gray. Below are a few pictures of how it came out.

As my wife likes to point out, the car needs cup holders. I have one of those black plastic center consoles with 2 built in cup holders but just took up too much space inside the foot well of the car, so decided to not use it. Did a search on TheSamba to get ideas and found what I thought was a neat cup holder that Steelz21 posted a picture of, so decided to copy the design and make one. Found the cup holder frame on eBay listed for less than $20. It was listed as “Marine Boat Stainless Steel Double Ring Cup Drink Holder”. The rest of the design (wood and polished aluminum “legs”) was stuff I had laying around in the garage. I formed the aluminum legs so they would be a tight fit on the transmission tunnel so the cup holder is nice and stable yet can be easily removed from the car if necessary. The most important thing is that my wife approved the initial design and was happy with the finished product. You know what they say; Happy Wife, Happy Life!

When I last posted pictures of the car itself it was still in rattle can primer. After removing the original paint I had put the rattle can primer on it to prevent the bare metal from flash rusting. Well, I had to take all that primer off and get the car back to bare metal to apply some Tamco direct to metal high build primer. Took a few days to get everything done but the car in finally in high build primer.

Next step will be to block sand the car, followed by a sealer/color/clearcoat.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Looks like great progress!
Are destroying U.S. Postal property !?!?
The cup holder is really very neat and creative.
You could probably start a little side business making them Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Looks like great progress!
Are destroying U.S. Postal property !?!?
The cup holder is really very neat and creative.
You could probably start a little side business making them Cool

The box had already gone thru the mail, although I have to admit sometimes that isn't the case.

Cup holder was not my idea. Gotta give credit to member Steelz21 for posting a picture at https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=599765&highlight=cup+holder

Too old and busy to start a business.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

You lucked out on the body shape, car doesn’t look beaten to death like most and no welding??? That’s like hitting the Ghia bodywork lottery!
Your parcel shelf adaptation is nicely done as is the cup holder.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
You lucked out on the body shape, car doesn’t look beaten to death like most and no welding??? That’s like hitting the Ghia bodywork lottery!

Actually he did a huge amount of really nice metal work and yes, lots of welding. Check out the beginning of this thread. He really saved this car. Very impressive restoration.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Actually he did a huge amount of really nice metal work and yes, lots of welding. Check out the beginning of this thread. He really saved this car. Very impressive restoration.

I just saw this page, I’ll look back.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Parcel shelf looks great, what a good idea.

And, Fame at last, I use my cup holder all the time.

Andy

Legacy wrote:
I haven’t been very good as far as keeping this thread up to date. Have made limited progress since my last thread partly due to other things getting in the way, such as doing spring maintenance on my boat, projects around the house, etc. etc. In any case, here is a summary of what has been done to the KG since my last post.

The parcel shelf black plastic cover was in pretty bad shape. The plastic had degraded (color had faded) and was no longer laying flat due to being exposed to the sun. Didn’t really want to buy another plastic cover to put on the shelf so decided to see what I could do with the existing cover. Using a heat gun, I was able to get it to lay flat again. Rather than painting it with plastic spray paint I decided to cover it with that “waffle” design non-slip shelf liner stuff you can buy for lining drawers and shelves. After all, it is a “parcel shelf” so why not use a shelf liner to cover it? Spent less than $12.00 at Amazon for a 12 inch x 10 feet sheet and had a choice of 10 different colors. The color I used on the parcel shelf is Graphite Gray. Below are a few pictures of how it came out.

As my wife likes to point out, the car needs cup holders. I have one of those black plastic center consoles with 2 built in cup holders but just took up too much space inside the foot well of the car, so decided to not use it. Did a search on TheSamba to get ideas and found what I thought was a neat cup holder that Steelz21 posted a picture of, so decided to copy the design and make one. Found the cup holder frame on eBay listed for less than $20. It was listed as “Marine Boat Stainless Steel Double Ring Cup Drink Holder”. The rest of the design (wood and polished aluminum “legs”) was stuff I had laying around in the garage. I formed the aluminum legs so they would be a tight fit on the transmission tunnel so the cup holder is nice and stable yet can be easily removed from the car if necessary. The most important thing is that my wife approved the initial design and was happy with the finished product. You know what they say; Happy Wife, Happy Life!

When I last posted pictures of the car itself it was still in rattle can primer. After removing the original paint I had put the rattle can primer on it to prevent the bare metal from flash rusting. Well, I had to take all that primer off and get the car back to bare metal to apply some Tamco direct to metal high build primer. Took a few days to get everything done but the car in finally in high build primer.

Next step will be to block sand the car, followed by a sealer/color/clearcoat.
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Steelz21 wrote:
Parcel shelf looks great, what a good idea.

And, Fame at last, I use my cup holder all the time.

Andy

Legacy wrote:

Andy
I showed my wife many different cup holders and yours was by far the one she liked the most. I certainly appreciate you posting the picture and hope you don't mind me copying it.
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Not at all. I’m glad you liked my idea.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Fantastic repository of the skills and ingenuity...belatedly added to the "Inspiration" and "How To" stickies. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Just a quick update on progress made on painting the restoration project. To summarize the car has been painted with 2 coats each of epoxy primer, high build primer, and most recently sealer. Used Tamco’s High Build Primer and Forever Seal. Wasn’t looking forward to block sanding the car but the Tamco high build primer was really easy to sand and I would recommend it to anyone.

Next step is to apply the color and clear coat. The plan is to paint the car two tone. I’m hoping to get it done in the near future but am subject to the weather conditions in MD since I don’t have access to a paint booth. Plus I’m scheduled for a knee replacement in a couple of weeks and that will put me out of commission for a while. If I don’t get the car painted before the knee replacement I may have to wait until the spring to finish the car painting since it will soon be too cold in MD to paint outside a paint booth.
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Well as I mentioned in my last posting I was hoping the weather in MD would cooperate and give me a opportunity to paint the car before my scheduled knee replacement. Guess the car gods were looking down on me because I did get 2 really nice days and was able to apply color and clear coat to the car.

The roof was painted Beige Mist, which is a color my wife selected because it is almost a perfect match to the TMI interior color of off-white. The rest of the body was painted Cypress Green (L62K) which is the original color of the car. Three coats of clear were applied over the basecoat colors. Next will be to cut and buff the car which will have to wait until I recover sufficiently from my scheduled knee replacement in a couple of days.

Car in my tent paint booth with Cypress Geen applied:

Basecoats and Clearcoat applied:

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Nice. You have many talents.
Good luck with the knee.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

As I mentioned in my last post I was lucky enough to be able to paint the car before my knee replacement surgery. Well, I had the surgery and am now doing physical therapy to try to get some mobility back. While moving around is slow and standing for any length of time is difficult, I have been able to get started with the cut and buff process, which is kinda my mental therapy.

Up to this point I have completed the wet sanding of the paint to remove orange peel and nibs. I’m not a professional painter so naturally I had to spend a fair amount of time wet sanding. I first did wet sanding with 800 grit sandpaper, followed by wet sanding with 1500 grit sandpaper, and lastly wet sanding with 3000 grit sandpaper. Below are some pictures of the sanding result.

Next I’ll be getting into the buffing process (compound, polish, glaze) to bring back the gloss that was eliminated by the wet sanding.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Nice that you have decent weather for working. Wish i could say the same. Looking forward to seeing the progress on the paint. Hang in there with the knee recovery. It's slow at first, but time will help.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: