Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's amazing what the buffing will do for it!

d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:

It's amazing what the buffing will do for it!

d

Yes that really looks good. I'm looking forward to getting into the buffing and starting to put the car back together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Like Redlabel6 said, it amazing what the buffing will do for it.

Here is a side by side comparison of 3000 grit wet sanded on one side and step one of buffing (3M rubbing compound using a wool pad on a rotary buffer machine).

Can’t wait to get the whole car done with the 3M three step process (rubbing compound, machine polish, hand glaze)
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

It'll be a lot of work, but worth it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Finished the buffing process of the car. I used the 3M three step process.

First step was applying rubbing compound using a wool pad in a buffing machine. Next I applied machine polish using a foam pad in a DA polishing machine. Final step was to hand apply the 3M hand glaze. I’m sure there are other ways to buff and polish a new paint job, but this process worked good for me.

Below are sume pictures after the buffing process was completed. Overall I’m pretty satisfied with how the paint job came out. The important thing is my wife gave it a “thumbs up” and since this is her car I guess it passed her test --- Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Started putting exterior parts back on. Will spend the next few winter months getting the car done so my wife and I can do some summer cruising in her restored car.
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Spent some time putting bits and pieces on the nose of the car. Installed the headlights, turn signals, fresh air vents, and horns.

I have to say it would have been much more difficult installing these items if it wasn’t for all the great tips and tricks I found in various posts on TheSamba.

Headlight ring gaskets went on fairly easy thanks to Era Vulgaris’ suggestion to use blue painter’s tape to hold the gasket in place until the headlight chrome ring is installed. Worked great. Only thing I did different was after installing the chrome ring I sprayed the blue tape with window cleaner to make it easier to remove the tape from the gasket and fender.

Struggled for a couple of hours trying to get the horns into the rubber boot until I did some research on TheSamba.

• I tried the suggestion made by VWLIMO to install the bolt on the back of the horn, then put the horn inside the boot thru the oval opening, clamp the horn bolt into a vice and grab the boot with both hands and pull the boot evenly over the back of the horn. Took me less that 15 minutes to get both horns installed in the boot.

• I then followed russelltatedotcom suggestions to tape the horns to the boot so they don’t move, put wire inside the lip of the oval boot opening and install the boot in the front opening by pulling the wire to bring the lip of the boot to the exterior of the oval opening. The wire trick is basically the same as when installing the windshield or rear glass.

Overall, it took me about an hour from the time I clamped the horns in the vice to the time the boot was mounted in the oval opening.

1932 Ford 3 Window Coup: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8UuVu7gOl9IG58Aj2
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Continued installing the various exterior pieces.

Installed the door window exterior scrapers. Also installed the side trim. Had to use a reamer to clean the paint in the trim clips mounting holes, otherwise the trim clips wouldn’t fit into the holes.

Disassembled the original jack, cleaned all the various parts, painted the parts that had originally been painted, and mounted the jack in the trunk.

Spent some time trying to organize the wiring birds nest behind the dashboard. Was a real mess but got it somewhat better organized. The hazard relay wasn’t working. Was going to install a universal hazard relay but decided to break open the case of the original VW hazard relay. Discovered a trace on the circuit board had a break in it. Soldered in a wire to bridge the gap and complete the circuit. Works fine now plus keeping the car as original as possible is a good thing from my perspective.

While playing with the wiring decided to install a lights-on warning buzzer to prevent the lights from being inadvertently left on. Now if the lights are left on after the engine is shut off the buzzer will sound to remind the driver to turn off the lights.

After finishing with all the wiring related work installed the trunk liner and carpeting. The carboard liner that came with the car had a lot of tears, etc. Used Gorilla tape to repair it than contact cement to attach the trunk rug. Also used some rare earth magnetics to hold the sides of the liner against the trunk sides since the liner sides were pretty floppy and would not stay upright.

Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Well, although a car is “never done” I’m calling the restoration completed for now. Pictures of the "finished car" are below.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Beautiful. Nice job. Must feel awesome to drive it.
Applause

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for providing a great inspirational restoration for the "Stickies" Legacy. It's these detailed restorations that make The Samba the very best place anywhere to pick up advice, techniques and inspiration for a Karmann Ghia rebuild.

Enjoy the drive and the plaudits wherever you go, it's a rare beauty. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Well done!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the very kind comments. Really appreciate the feedback.

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Beautiful result!
I hope your prepared for your new found stardom Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

As someone who has gone through a similar from-the-ground-up restoration as you, all I can say is that you have done a fantastic job. A tribute to your love for your wife.

I doff my hat to you, Sir. Well done.

Chris M
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Again I just want to say thanks to everyone for the very kind comments.

When I started this restoration, I had very little experience making and welding patch panels, so it was a learning experience that gave me lots of satisfaction.

My advice to anyone who is considering undertaking a restoration project is don’t be afraid to try. If you make a mistake, as I did many times, just try again until you are satisfied with the outcome. And read all the great threads on TheSamba,com and watch lots of You Tube videos.

Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Just a quick update. Took the KG to a local car show this past weekend. Fair size show with about 300 cars. Wife's KG was selected as best import. Guess judges thought the restoration came out ok.

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Congratulations! Very Happy Very well deserved...you see it's not just the Samba regulars who appreciate your restoration.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Congratulations! Very Happy Very well deserved...you see it's not just the Samba regulars who appreciate your restoration.

Thanks for the kind words.

Yea, lots of older folks looked at it in detail and we heard stories of when there was one in their family. Younger folks not so much, not sure they even knew Karmann Ghia's existed in the past.

We live in Southern Maryland and I don't think there is more that a very few KGs in the whole area.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: