Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bracket identification?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Bracket identification? Reply with quote

I am missing this bracket, what is it called and does anyone have a part # for it?

I believe it’s number 34.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The part circled in red.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bracket identification? Reply with quote

That was a bracket designed to take the weight of the heat exchangers and exhaust system off the head studs. It hangs the muffler (72-74) or the exhaust elbow (75-79) from the fan shroud M8 holes.

Stick an M8x1.25 stud in the fan shroud, and make your own bracket out of metal stock from the hardware store. It will cost single digit dollars but add life to the heads and exhaust system. Late setups are a simple bend or two, while earlier exhaust setups require a 90° twist as well as the bends. Use anti-sieze on all the threads, and enjoy keeping your exhaust studs happy while discouraging exhaust leaks.

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bracket identification? Reply with quote

Originals are difficult to find, as they get rusty even though they are 3mm thick steel, removed and never put back on, damaged, etc.
If you make one, use thick material, as they provide much needed support for a heavy system, and my thinking is that thin material would flex too much or not provide sufficient support.
Part number is 021 256 303B.

asiab3 wrote:
Late setups are a simple bend or two, while earlier exhaust setups require a 90° twist as well as the bends.

I have not noticed this, and have put originals on the 72-4/79 style (see pic below), as well as the 75-78 style (like shown in the pic above) without modification or twisting. The bracket mounts at different locations, depending on the exhaust style and possibly the fan housing. Can you explain what you mean?

72-74/79 exhaust style mounting location:

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bracket identification? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Originals are difficult to find, as they get rusty even though they are 3mm thick steel, removed and never put back on, damaged, etc.
If you make one, use thick material, as they provide much needed support for a heavy system, and my thinking is that thin material would flex too much or not provide sufficient support.

asiab3 wrote:
Late setups are a simple bend or two, while earlier exhaust setups require a 90° twist as well as the bends.

I have not noticed this, and have put originals on the 72-4/79 style (see pic below), as well as the 75-78 style (like shown in the pic above) without modification or twisting. The bracket mounts at different locations, depending on the exhaust style and possibly the fan housing. Can you explain what you mean?

I have the same exhaust setup as in the original picture in my first post, will the bracket you pictured work for my setup?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bracket identification? Reply with quote

Its a pretty simple bracket, what you need to know to make one is the center to center distance for the holes. A tad short is likely better than a tad long.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bracket identification? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

asiab3 wrote:

Thanks for posting those pics, Hazetguy.
I'm wanting to make and install one soon.
Does anyone happen to know what the center-to-center measurement is for that bracket?

Also, is there a similar bracket installed on the right side of the engine?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bracket identification? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

The alternator bracket serves two purposes on the RH side.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bracket identification? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
KentPS wrote:

The alternator bracket serves two purposes on the RH side.

Thanks once again, BD.
My alternator bracket is rusted off at the bottom connection.
So it must be time to source a replacement.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bracket identification? Reply with quote

Shane - Try to use the whole fiche, not just a photo.

http://www.michaelknappmann.de/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/fiche/bildtafl.htm#t200900

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/LateBay-Main.html

part #19 on 24-10
021 256 303B

Ken Madsen at TheBusCo. Try him. http://www.thebusco.com/list.asp?Cat=L&Cat=E

Probably the breakdown is as follows:
021 256 303 A is 72-74 & 79
021 256 303 B is 75-78

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: