Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

A trick with banjo bolts....snap an old o-ring onto the end to keep the copper washers in place while you start the threads. Once you get two turns, grab the old oring with a pick and snap it off and out by stretching and cutting.

Those MD license plates have the classiest of the 57 States since the 1980s
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
not bashing the auto bleed valve, but i would have to wager a guess this would do the same thing if you wanted to run a stock valve

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6601595?cid=pai...D_BwE&

This is a brilliant idea!
You are still adding several potential failure points though.

Banjo fittings and bolts are readily available off the shelf.

Why is a check valve in the banjo bolt is needed?
If it is a continuous self bleed feature there should always be a small coolant flow once the thermostat opens.

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-banjo-fittings-c-1041/?zenid=nikf1vcoeml33bp56h19kbo1d4

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Just reporting back that I have driven the van for several hours since refilling the coolant.

I am going to list out all my steps.

1. I filled it from the back.
2. I filled it from the front.
3. I ran it for 2-3 minutes and watched the Vanistan Heater Valve self bleed.
4. The next morning I pulled on the red lever on the RMW aluminum tank and heard a "bloop."

And then I went on an hour long drive. And then another cumulative 1+ hour driving running around chasing errands. I cannot recommend doing these 2 mods enough. I have never had such confidence in the van's cooling system before. Let me restate that, I now have confidence in the van's cooling system. Compared to never having had any confidence in the cooling system. And how much effort did I have to spend bleeding the system? I pulled the red lever! That's it! Thank you Dan for convincing me to get the RMW tank.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

The red lever on the cap is a manual pressure bleed off in case you need to remove the cap on a hot engine.

If you lifted the lever on a cold engine, nothing should happen.
A cold system has no pressure nor should it have a vacuum for any vacuum created while cooling should draw coolant back into the system from the overflow tank behind the plate.

What was the noise you heard?
A weak vacuum but not enough to get past the caps vacuum return valve system?

Again, why a check valve in the banjo bolt?
Any ideas?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
What was the noise you heard?
A weak vacuum but not enough to get past the caps vacuum return valve system?

Probably. It was similar to the water fountain at work when you're pouring yourself a cup of water and air goes to the top.

No real ideas about why the bolt has a small check valve in it. Stopping reverse flow is why they exist, right?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

To anyone who has installed the RMW swing out tire carrier in around 2 hours, I am envious. Either you're just that much more talented or your van is straighter. Who knows. Either way, it took me 7. Laughing The issue I had was that the bolt holes would not line up completely parallel to each other on the van. Off the van, no problem the 2 pieces matched so well it looked like they were machined together. Inside the van was another story. The bar that holds the captive nuts just didn't sit flat against my van. I could get the inner top 2 bolts and the other 2 bolts in, but the inner bottom 3 bolts... they all went in sideways and the nut would start to strip. It might have been interference from the air tube box.

I had an idea that if I cut part of the all thread off that is used as a stud for installation for the inside I could get the next bolt in and tight, remove this mini stud and be done. And the holes weren't the issue, there was plenty of play, they were very visible. I probably went overboard hogging them out, honestly. I slotted the stud to make removal easy, something I recommend doing to the other 2 as well. And I tightened the all thread stud down to get that wing in as much as possible, no dice.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After struggling with this 1 step for hours, I said screw the captive nuts on the bottom 3 bolt holes. Popped them out, reassembled, put the bolts all the way through easily, and then using washers, put the nuts on the bolts by hand. I wish I had done this 4 hours sooner. Sometimes taking a step back can save you a bunch of time, a life lesson that is hard to remember when you're focused on a task.

Once the wing is in, it's a piece of cake.

Random aside:
I don't know why it took me this long to notice this, but today I noticed that the van left very little room for the door as it was going up. It just cleared. I had just assumed it would clear and didn't bother checking. Assumptions!

Surprised
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

After reading the thread about engine fires / blaze cut and reading Steve's comment about steel engine hatches I immediately searched the the classifieds for one. Fiberglass burns, doesn't seem like a great idea. I will say that the steel one is probably 45lbs, vs the 20lbs for the fiberglass cover.

I had planned to paint it, but it was in pretty good shape so I took the old insulation and gave it a scrub. There were quite a few coat hangers being used to hold that old ratty insulation in place. Laughing

Old insulation next to the EVA foam tiles that I am using for insulation.

I used 2 glued layers of 1/2" EVA foam tiles, offset the seams for that extra sound reduction, of course. Rolling Eyes I reused the OE wire retainers, not needed, but why not.

I had planned to layer the top in butyl sheeting since I had assumed that whatever was on it was similar to the cardboard they put on the body panels. However, it was asphalt/butyl sheeting and it seemed pretty well attached so I left it.

I might hinge the cover. Since it's steel I could easily weld some hinges to it.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I had the same problem with those captive nuts on my RMW tire carrier. The one at the very bottom refused to cooperate. I finally got lucky and it threaded for me after lots of loosening, tightening, moving the backing plate around in there, cussing, throwing things, yelling at passers by...

Have you considered reflective tape on top of the hatch lid? I love this idea and had it on my last van.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I would find hinges annoying.

I've had many instances where I needed to look topside at the engine while traveling.

I would push everything forward towards the seat back, lift up the cushion, wedge it up with a box or whatever and slip the cover rearward and off.

I guess the hinged lid would lift the pad and the crap on top but you would for sure need a support rod system to hold it up.

But on the campers the lid goes under the rear side cabinet, with a tintop, there is no cabinet.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Narendra.vw has an interesting hinge setup:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559568&highlight=india

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Looks like his open prop is a cable to the ceiling.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Casey/Zeitgeist has a pretty trick "hinged" set up, look at his TDI thread.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Casey/Zeitgeist has a pretty trick "hinged" set up, look at his TDI thread.

Is it made with repurposed VW hinges?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Laughing I'll make sure I use Subaru hinges.

joetiger wrote:
Have you considered reflective tape on top of the hatch lid? I love this idea and had it on my last van.

No I hadn't, is this so you can use it as an emergency roadside reflector?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I had planned on repurposing Mk4 Jetta trunk hinges with the little gas struts, but ended up just using a prop rod. This allows for easy removal as needed, and the stock tabs act like hinges.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I was thinking of something similar. Hinges that can still slide into the stock locating recesses and using a strut to both hold the cover in place and provide lift assist.

We'll see when/if it happens. Not exactly a priority.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

That strut just serves as a prop rod at full extension--it doesn't compress. I used it because of the ball end at the base, which allows it to stay in place while pivoting up or down.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

No I hadn't, is this so you can use it as an emergency roadside reflector?

Yeah, theoretically. I never actually used it for that purpose but it seems like a good idea. Smile When I added the tape, my thought was that if I broke down on the road in Baja, every bit of safety would help.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I replaced the rubber stop and the latch springs for the sliding door. I had very little confidence that the springs would fix the issue and figured it was something else, but GW's kit fixed it immediately. It latches shut with confidence now!

My screws were very tight so I used a #3 phillips in a 1/4 socket on a small breaker bar. This broke them free easily.

It seemed pretty ok so I really wondered what new springs would do. I guess it's just that little bit more tension. I also missed a step in between of taking the sliding door panel off and disconnecting the lever.

And missed taking a picture of the new springs in there. Oh well.
While putting the door panel back on I noticed that I have a gap up top. I knew I had a similar gap down below. So I will have to try to adjust the door.

JLRF just posted this picture and I noticed the vacuum line Ts into the throttle body and goes elsewhere. Possibly he has the vacuum canister on the top of the airbox?

I found this picture with a bit of searching. But I'm not clear on what the item next to the plenum is.

When I bought my van it had been converted to carb so a lot of vacuum lines just weren't there. I have the nipple on the throttle body plugged and idle control valve plugged. Should these be T'd into the vacuum line with the fuel pressure regulator?

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

So I connected the above ^ nipples with vacuum line T'd off the FPR vacuum line. Haven't noticed a difference so far because I am dealing with a much larger issue.

Timing.

I replaced my distributor with the BD $80 version because I had some issues with drivability rear their ugly head in the last few weeks. I'll be driving along and suddenly power cuts down by 80%, idled ok, but then on throttle it would choke. Pulled over to a parking lot, revved the motor a bit, made a few circles, everything is back to normal. Confused

My distributor was original so I figured why not replace it. Getting the van running was quite an endeavor and now it's not running well at all. It lurches, low on power, dies at a stop.

I referenced these threads:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261067&highlight=all+in+timing+tencentlife
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4523865#4523865

Here is how I timed it:

- I put a mark 2" CW of the shallow U mark
    - I struggled to drive it for a bit to let it warm up, then once at 180F coolant temp
    - I set the timing light on the deck pointing at the pulley with the lead on the #1 cyl
    - With one hand on the throttle and another on the distributor I revved the motor until the mark stopped moving CCW and aligned with the center
    - I don't know the rpm this was at, but it sounded like a lot more than 3000rpm

It now drives terribly. This is a 1.9 with the 2.1 digifant management, but timing it 2" CW from the U mark should still give the correct timing. For what it's worth, I never managed to time it with a timing light with the previous distributor either. My previous method was rotate the distributor and see where it revved the nicest. When I pulled the plugs to verify TDC a few days ago they were a nice even brown and I got around 15mpg. I am considering buying GW's afm signal filter to try to eliminate that possible angle. https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/23990/gowesty-signal-filter-for-air-flow-meter-?v=

Here is where it idles. It is idling at around 850-900rpm fairly steadily when first turned on. The single red dot on the left is the U mark, the double red dots on the right are 2" CW. (The alligator clip is there to make sure I had a good ground while rotating the distributor, overkill I know, but I am chasing devils here.)

I am getting fairly close to my limits here. Thoughts? Opinions? I checked and I have gas in my tank too. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: