Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I wish I could help but I am not good at engine issues like that from a key board.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
After reading the thread about engine fires / blaze cut and reading Steve's comment about steel engine hatches I immediately searched the the classifieds for one. Fiberglass burns, doesn't seem like a great idea. I will say that the steel one is probably 45lbs, vs the 20lbs for the fiberglass cover.

I had planned to paint it, but it was in pretty good shape so I took the old insulation and gave it a scrub. There were quite a few coat hangers being used to hold that old ratty insulation in place. Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I might hinge the cover. Since it's steel I could easily weld some hinges to it.

Might I diggest adding another outer layer so the foam does not start to get ompregnated with engine oils over the years.
This is air condioning duct wrap which has some fire barrier protection, but more important it will reflect the engine heat too.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I had planned on trying to mess with the timing on the van some more today but it started raining and my motivation was low so I gave up on that.

I decided to try to look through some of the past pictures I've taken and create some mockups of potential graphics for the van. I used photoshop to abstract/sketch over the pictures and illustrator to vectorize them, then back to photoshop for the van mockup. I didn't spend a lot of time on the mockup portion, but it's certainly enough to get a sense of what it would look like. I may end up going back and adding additional shadows with black on both of them instead of just using black for the foreground. Adding white highlights is also a possibility but I didn't really like what I had come up with, maybe a second try.

This first one is Lower Cathedral Lake in Yosemite. I think I prefer the version where the where the van color is the main background color with gray shadows. Gray background with van color highlights was the first version I made.

I really like the picture this came from, the lighting was just fantastic. It's Yosemite Valley, Eagle Point on the right. But it's just not working as a graphic. For one it's far too short at 1:1 scale, it wouldn't even make it past the middle of the middle window. So it's now too tall and it's stretched horizontally to boot. I think another reason it fails is that I'm not doing a great job of capturing the lighting. Which is, of course, hard to do with only 2 colors. Maybe some light accents in black and white and it'll bring the gray and bronze out.

I have a picture I like from the Presidentials in NH that I think I will give a shot next.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Well I'm living right near the presidentials...so I'd love to see that.

I think the 1st one looks superb!

...how do you turn the corner with a mural like this? IE what do you do at the front panels and rear.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I hiked the Presidentials doing the AMC hut to hut for a week a few years back. It was great, rained a lot though, hah. A picture of Franconia Notch was also up for consideration. I am usually up in that area twice a year, beautiful landscape. It's one of my favorite places east of the Mississippi.

It's not a full wrap so turning corners is no big deal. Vinyl stretches easily on a warm day. A heat gun and some relief slices also makes easy work of corners.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Here's some (hopefully) constructive criticism.
The break at the front is too abrupt. I don't like black bedliner on the lower rockers, so I'm not a fan of the black, but that's subjective. I think the black horizontal stripe is distracting. It's hard working with that bronze background, but this is a great start with only two colors. I'd play around with the two colors. Maybe it's winter and those trees are covered in snow, so they're light grey, and the mountains are dark.
I think it would be cool to continue the treeline around the front of the van. This is quick and dirty, but kind of like this:

I'm curious to see where you go with this! Cool
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Yeah, the black stripe would probably go when it's time to install. It's just electrical tape so no big deal pulling it off.

Ending abruptly at the front is one of the reasons I prefer the other version. Interesting take on it. That amount of black is a pretty bold statement.

Last edited by 4Gears4Tires on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

cool. sorry, I didn't look back to see if you had added the stripe or not.

I was also thinking that if you wanted a physical mockup, you could print out a bunch of paper and tape it on the van using rasterbator before ordering the vinyl:
https://rasterbator.net/
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Luckily I have a lot of black, gray, and white (and red) vinyl left over from doing graphics on my race car so this will only cost me time. Cool

I do like the idea of the forest continuing around the van though. I may put little tiny trees on either side of the side marker.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

So I tried timing it by ear and then again with a timing light. Timing is dead on at 40 degrees advanced. I noticed that it revs very nicely in neutral, smooth and peppy. But, as soon as I go out and drive it I get some serious hiccups with actual load on the motor. So either I don't know how to time it (very possible) or the issue lies elsewhere.

I am thinking I need to check my fuel pressure (very unlikely) or start replacing the last remaining original components. Original components remaining are fuel injectors (tested and cleaned by me, not professionally), ignition coil, idle control valve, and air flow meter. I am tempted to just buy a GW reman afm and hope for the best.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

$750 worth of parts ordered. My confidence at this method of throwing parts at it is very low. AFM, AFM filter, ignition coil, ignition switch, injectors ordered. As well as random stuff like the alternator reinforcement bracket and eye bolts for the seat belts, etc. I would have even ordered another ECU if they were in stock.

Confused
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

So I have been struggling with my van lately. It all started with the van suddenly losing power in traffic after approximately 4,000 miles running just fine. It was intermittent, it would happen and I would limp to a parking lot and then by the time I got there it was fine. Then when leaving the parking lot it would rear it's head again, but then it was fine for the rest of the day. So, with spring approaching and wanting to get on the road I ordered replacements for any remaining original parts and got to work. But, it just wouldn't stop acting weird, no matter what I fixed. So here's my journey.

I figure maybe it's the timing. I am very knew to having to time my motors so maybe I screwed that up. Let me try some more. I spend several days repeatedly checking, driving around the neighborhood and no change. So maybe I need new parts.

First I tested fuel pressure. I don't remember exactly and didn't take pics, but it was about 30psi at idle and 40psi on throttle. I ordered eBay injectors, which I wholeheartedly recommend against since they are not the right size and do not fit securely.

I cut the old injector bushings in half to use as spacers to get them to sit tight, however they do not sit straight in the manifold because the bushing is outside the recess. Cool, starting off with real hacky work.

I figured my best shot at making it run the first time was to crack on with replacing as many parts as I could. That way lots of variables change at once. Science.
I removed the alternator and installed the GW alternator bracket after seeing posts her about that failure.

In the center of this picture you can see the stud head. Accessing this stud through the license plate is the easier way to install the lower bracket that wraps around the coolant line. GW's instructions of this portion were silly. They said to hold the coolant line so no coolant leaks out when you remove the nuts. Ok, so 1. that isn't gonna happen it's still gonna leak and 2. How are you supposed to keep working? Whatever. I jammed a wrench against the pipe and put a drip pan underneath and then removed the nuts. GW includes these recessed and deep nuts, which are are a cool niche concept and also really frustrating to install. The bottom nut is easier to access, I got that one threaded 2-3 turns and then went to get the top one started. That said, I still recommend this product. It seems likely it is a massive improvement.

I replaced the my fuel and ecu(?) relays with fused relays. Very easy and neat solution to getting the fuel pump on fused power.

Next up was the coil. You will need to transfer the |_| shaped plug over from the old one as the new one did not have the right one. If GW made a note about this, I missed it.

I also took this opportunity to sand/scuff all grounds to the chassis below the coil after installing it.

So shiny and clean! I wonder if this will fix my issues?

Replacing the AFM let me know that my fairly good shape air filter had been gnawed on. So that was replaced.

I also snip the AFM wire harness and replace it with GW's harness that they say cures the highway hiccup. Which I don't have, but I figure it's good to be proactive.

And to top it off, those nifty seat belt eye bolts. If they don't increase reliability, I don't know what does.

So that's a lot of work. Coil, injectors, AFM, AFM resistor harness, air filter, eye bolts. Had to have fixed it right? No. I did not. I knew this beforehand, throwing parts at a vehicle rarely fixes it and it is very expensive to do so. Oh well. Let's just keep ignoring that lesson.

I measure and mark some timing marks after sanding off my old marks. Spend some time trying to dial in timing. No change.

After a bike ride with a friend we are eating pizza and looking at the engine bay, discussing how the engine gets signal and modifies fueling/timing to theorize about where this issue could be. We decide to double check the O2 harness. The spade connector disconnects the second I touch it. I am fairly certain it was just touching inside the rubber boot, not actually plugged in. Very giddily I pull back the boot, scuff everything up, crimp the female end a bit more, plug it back together and go for a test drive.

No dice. Probably time to retime the motor. No change there either.

Ok. What about the valves? I did them back in October or something like that. But I didn't have a Bentley and the time. The Bentley will show me the way! However the Bentley has less guidance than these forums on the matter. Touch valve, 2 more turns. Well let me do that and go for a test drive around the block. Wow what is that terrible racket?

Neat. Apparently torquing these to spec is important. 18ftlb btw.

Did it again. No change. But now I didn't trust myself. So I adjusted the valves about 4 more times. This took a few days since the engine has to be cold when doing it and I wanted to make sure it was not above ambient. How much is "touching the rocker to valve" anyway? When you can't make a taptaptap noise by wiggling it or if you push down and still see space? Because those are different. I went with no noise when wiggling.

Still no change. So I swap the original AFM back on. No Change. Swap the original AFM out, rebuilt in and original coil back in. No change. Swap original coil back out, new coil in, and original injectors in. Maybe it feels ok? Go to get gas and put 93 in just in case the timing is an issue. Don't want it to ping. Leaving the gas station and I feel the van just... PBBLRRRRRRR. I immediately feel it bogging down and just know it's one of the original injectors having let go.

So I pull the plugs again. A few days ago they were all a nice even brown.

I take the opportunity to check compression. It's ok. 1,2,3,4 respectively.

Phew. Doesn't look like I've broken anything mechanical yet! But all this staring at the dark engine bay has really started to get on my nerves. So I ordered an engine bay light that has spring loaded clips and clipped it to the hatch.

Lots of light now.

Isn't it about time to do the timing again?

I ordered an advanced timing light since I still didn't trust my measured marks and preferred to use the OE TDC mark. Set it for 33 degrees and easily timed it. No guess work.

So at this point it's driving pretty nicely! Short test drive works out, go for a long test drive. 20 minutes into that long test drive I get a hiccup. What!? I thought the GW AFM resistor harness would protect me! I read that this is annoying but won't affect running too much and make a trip to Shenandoah. Maybe 350 miles that day? No issues with power/running/idling aside from that occasional hiccup.

Just to be sure, I remove the easy solder connections and use GW's supplied crimp connectors and heatshrink for the AFM harness. Still hiccups.

I do some research and see 2 things pop up fairly frequently. The alternator harnesses blue wire, if cracked, can lead to the highway hiccup. Also, the ecu can get micro cracks in the solder causing hiccups. Wait, didn't I touch the alternator harness earlier? And haven't I been doing all this test driving on a road that is being repaved by PG County for seemingly years? And doesn't that alternator harness have electrical tape on it? Maybe I should pull that tape off and see why the PO put it there.

Oh. Neat. Well I'm glad my power is fused now and I didn't burn down the van in the preceding thousands of miles.

Cut, sectioned, and redone.

But wasn't there a crack on the blue wire too? Yes yes there was. (sorry for the blur)

Sorted!

Now for a test drive to see if the hiccup is gone! It's not.

I ordered a Hakko 888D. If I am going to reflow a hundred solder points I am not using all the cheap soldering guns that I have struggled to use for years.
That's a lot of shiny points.

I couldn't tell if this was corrosion or that orange coating that is in other parts of the board

That's definitely a micro crack in the center left one

Another microcrack

Unless the solder fell through (which happened on some flat connections) I rarely added a lot of solder. Just enough to keep the point shiny. But here, on the connections to the harness I made sure to double the amount of solder on each point. The two lines stood higher than the rest because of that.

Ok! Now for a test drive! Turn the key annndddd nothing. I don't even hear the fuel pump prime. Try 3 more times. No fuel pump, motor just spins. Damn. How did I fry the ecu? Dejectedly I go to remove it from the van. The connector is not seated. hah. Now it starts right up. Pulling out of the driveway it seemed pretty sluggish at low rpm, but hey, it's just learning all those new fuel trims, right? I dunno honestly. In 2 more blocks it feels pretty good.

Makes it to Baltimore and back, easy cruising, no hiccups! Success. What a long journey but it looks like those summer trips are at hand!

Today I drove to the park to go biking, would not get out of its own way below 2500rpm. Argghhhhhhh.

And when I went to take pictures for the coolant pipe bolt access thread I found this.

Neat.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I'm pretty familiar with the 2.1 but I keep staring at thus photo trying to figure out what I'm looking at.
Where in the engine am I?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Ah Ha!

Head to case rubber gasket is seeping!

Fun times!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Toss a can of Subaru coolant conditioner in there and start saving for that engine swap you know you want. Cool

The Western Syncro build
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Awesome investment on the Hakko 888D. I used it on the job when doing "level 3" phone repairs - board level repairs.

Once my digital Radioshack iron kicks the bucket I will be investing in another Hakko.

Oh and for what it's worth, I definitely reflowed my ECU at that previous job. I even had a fume extractor - made the job very painless and fun Smile
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

The Hakko is a straight up joy to use. I have never felt like such a professional in my life. All those videos where they touch the iron and it melts instantly were not a lie! I used to stare at them in disbelief.

An fume extractor would be nice.

dobryan wrote:
Toss a can of Subaru coolant conditioner in there and start saving for that engine swap you know you want. Cool

The best part is that if I had seen that leak before I started I wouldn't have even bothered trying to chase down the fix. I would have just yanked the motor. But now? I'm poppin bottles of coolant conditioner like a crackhead going through a medical cabinet.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Yank all those new parts off there and sell them, pull the boat anchor, engine swap time..... Cool

Actually I hope you get an easy fix on that leak and enjoy driving it the rest of the season. Swap in the heated garage in the winter.

The Western Syncro build
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

This winter is the plan.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Use two bottles of the Subaru Coolant stuff. The Vanagon has got a big coolant system.

These were the leaks on mine when I first got my Syncro in 2016. I found the coolant system filled with water and not coolant.

Just keep an eye on your coolant levels weekly.
I'm still driving the same engine.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: