Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

One of the rear speakers was blown and neither sounded great, so as a stop gap before this next trip (leaving in an hour from now) I threw two E30 rear deck speakers in. I honestly expected to be able to just put them in horizontally and everything would be great. But then the cones were too big and the hole wasn't appropriate... Out came the dremel and then they got sideways, and the headbanger is surprisingly 2 layer thick plastic which took forever... Looks so factory!

Whatever. I'll fix it when I redo the whole stereo. It does sound a lot better. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And of course the reason why the one speaker sounded like garbage is that a mouse nest was behind it. I hope that's the last one.

No mouse pee vs lots of mouse pee.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Apparently I always forget to take cool pictures of the van when we are at our destinations. All the van pics are pretty lame! Next time I will try to remember to take better pics.

Based on a comment Dan made here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9640517&highlight=#9640517 about capping the coolant lines if you remove the oil / coolant heat exchanger I clamped the line shut since I had just directly connected it.

This made a surprising change and I am not sure why. My coolant reservoir tank no longer fills with air and and forces coolant into the overflow tank. It's also only 1 trip like this but at 660 miles it's quite a long trip. But the engine may be due for replacement anyway, since the overflow tank looks quite oily. That said the dip stick is never milky and neither is the coolant. So I dunno. I will do oil changes and run it and see what happens.

All fill ups this trip got about 16.xx MPG with both the O2 sensor and the ICV disconnected. Runs pretty well but the the power delivery through the RPM band is not butter smooth. With the ICV disconnected idle is between 900-1100rpm, with it connected it instantly rises to 2800-3000rpm. So obviously it's out while a replacement comes in. It runs acceptably smooth for a 30+ van like this in my opinion. I also noticed that it has a supercharger like whine at highway speeds if I let off and then touch the throttle. Could just be induction noise or could be a vacuum leak that I am missing.

I learned that if the smoker windows are just opened a bit and the slider windows are back about 2" the wind rush isn't too bad, the radio is easily heard, conversation can happen normally, and a good cross breeze happens!

I usually avoid 95, but we had a lot of miles to go and van needed the shortest route to get there that night. Crossing into NJ, this bridge may as well be a mountain. It rained a lot, but I felt fairly confident in the rain because of the excellent visibility the van affords.

My amazing destination picture with the van. Woooo!

The climb from the Hudson River Valley to this town was an amazing drive in the dark. Hah. 25 mph in 2nd gear for 25-30 minutes? Felt like forever. Route 23A is a very steep and windy road. The van just chugged along though! I wish it had been a clear day on the way back, I bet the view would have been incredible.

You can see how dirty the overflow tank is. Without flash and with flash. Anyone else have a dirty tank? Maybe it's left over subaru coolant conditioner? It feels like oil in my fingers. It is possibly oil left over in the funnel that got swept into the coolant system since I only use one for both. Never thought about it. I will start using two. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Sawmill Creek in Tannersville NY

Monday hike to Kaaterskill Falls.

Kristen felt bad we had no pics with the van so she posted next to it at a rest stop. Next time she needs to do yoga!

The O2 replacement light came on crossing back into MD, neat to see that it works.

This was my overflow when I got back and I thought that maybe clamping the line hadn't made a difference like it did on the way up. But I opened the reservoir and not only was it pressurized, coolant also spilled out of the cap when removed it. So the reservoir was fully filled.

I will do my standard drain overflow, hold 3000rpm, fill reservoir and cap it routine and continue to keep an eye on it.

Driving the van can be stressful but I am glad to see it going places! So much more comfortable than driving in a car. Plenty of space to wiggle around and adjust. Good visibility. Easy cruising!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Yaaay for successful long trips! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

sorry, but I'd guess that whining noise that changes tune with trailing throttle is your ring gear chewing up your pinion because the pinion bearing is going out.
It will not heal itself.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

That's certainly possible, I'm not going to rule that out. I first noticed it when I swapped out the GW Throttle Body. That sealed one large vacuum leak and who knows what else it changed. I can also hear a good SSSSSSSSS at idle now in the vicinity of the throttle body. Smoke test has not been helpful after the swap, but I may give it another shot. Starting fluid and just touching things not conclusive either.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

The van has been great and I've been on many adventures with it this year.
Having changed the transmission oil many times and still getting lots of metal flakes I decided to pull the transmission while it's still running nicely and get it rebuilt. Better now than after a gear fractures and grenades the entire transmission.

With the coolant system working really well for 3k+ miles at this point I didn't really want to touch it. And, if I dropped the motor with the transmission I would have to put the motor somewhere while the transmission gets rebuilt, so I opted for pulling the transmission with the engine in the van. This took 2.5 hours with no real urgency behind our efforts.

I think this oil has 2k miles on it. Everything is very fine if I rub it between my fingers, like a polishing compound.

I tilted the transmission so the transfercase would hopefully drain. I think Sodo has said 15 degrees? This is 10 degrees. It stopped draining after maybe half an hour. I'll try 15 degrees before I pack it up I suppose and see if more oil comes out. You can see the brand new output shaft cover, hasn't even even seen the road.

The passenger side was covered in grease, of course. I don't have any leaks from this side. As far as I know, this side is perfect. But once I wiped away the grease I found this.

So that's not cool. I thought only the 2wd automatic transmissions had different length half shafts? Any guesses as to what is going on here? How did this happen?

I guess I found out why I kept getting metal shards in my transmission even though it shifted great.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Yep, both shafts should be the same length. Have you check the length of each? Are they aftermarket?

Good idea on getting a rebuild before something goes bad. I'm in the same boat, been buying new bits for the refresh but still haven't decided who to trust with my transmission. My Syncro has been babied it's whole life and I worry about it's good parts being swapped for somebody else's crappy parts Shame on you. Wish I could be there while they work on it!
Who are you going with?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Matt Steedle won't pick up the phone so I am going with Rancho and a GT Gears 4th gear. Maybe a 3rd too if the transmission is in good shape and doesn't need anything else. Stock ratios. I would heavily prefer Steedle because I could drop the trans off in person. I think shipping is going to be very expensive.

The half shafts are aftermarket and I haven't measured them. I will do so, that's good advice.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Matt Steedle won't pick up the phone so I am going with Rancho and a GT Gears 4th gear. Maybe a 3rd too if the transmission is in good shape and doesn't need anything else. Stock ratios. I would heavily prefer Steedle because I could drop the trans off in person. I think shipping is going to be very expensive.

The half shafts are aftermarket and I haven't measured them. I will do so, that's good advice.

Are you having it set up for a future cooler? This is the time to prep the case for inlet, outlet, temp, and thermostat.

The Western Syncro build
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I have a set of Alika's banjo fittings for the drain and fill ports, but I suppose having them tap and plug the case for dedicated ports would be a good idea.

I'll have a professional opinion give the final verdict, but I think the output shaft itself is probably ok and does not need replacement. The seal was not easy to remove. Superheated into place.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Just an update, I called Rancho and asked about the worn through output shaft seal/cap. They instantly recognized what I was talking about, described it back to me in detail, told me to cut down the half shaft a bit, and said it wasn't really a big deal.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I cut a pallet in half, built blocking for the bottom so it can't wiggle, used two ratchet straps to secure it to the pallet, added some XPS foam for padding, and now it's on it's way to Rancho.

Why is my wallet bleeding? Laughing
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Looks more like a casket.....

The Western Syncro build
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Rancho got the transmission apart. Bad news. Ring and Pinion? Toast. Main shaft? toast. 1st and 2nd idlers? Toast. 3rd and 4th gear? Toast. Worse than I had hoped but par for the course, I suppose.

I'm trying to decide whether or to do GT Gears 3rd and 4th gears or OE gears and a GT main shaft. I am leaning towards the GT Gears 3rd and 4th and an OE main shaft. With an 4th gear oiler plate, of course.

I will ask for my main shaft and r&p back, I think they'll go on the garage wall as trophies and reminders of personal hubris. Ya just never actually know, do ya? Rebuild looks like it'll be about $6k with options. $4800 at a bare minimum, but I don't want the minimum.

If you remember my first iteration of welding a hitch receiver to the standard Vanagon tow bar you'll remember it was not level, in fact it was fairly erect. Buying a better bike rack (1up) introduced a new issue, I couldn't fold the rack up because the tire was in the way. The first iteration also had a good amount of flex in it. Even though it was not just bolted through the tow loops because I welded several captured nuts to the bumper, the bumper metal is fairly thin and flexible. I don't like to see the bikes move, it makes me nervous.

I'm a fan of tubular bumpers, I think they look pretty cool. But Vanagon bumpers are insanely expensive, I think the tubular one is $1800? That is entirely way too much money, even considering the Vanagon tax.

I bought this Jeep Wrangler bumper for $195 shipped + tax. It looked close enough to fitting a Vanagon I figured it was worth the gamble.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184846867566?_trkparms=am...%7Ciid%3A1

Holding it up to the van it needed a slight trim. The mounting plates needed to be cut down and the bar ends needed a trim. If you look close you can see my trim mark at the ends.

First eyeball trim really nailed it. Looks pretty good.

After tacking it in place we took it off the van and started welding up the frame inserts to the bumper. I'm fairly confident that not only is this stronger than the original mounting method of this bumper, but that I could mount a motorcycle carrier to this bumper now.

Welded the end caps back on and then a little primer, paint, and a beer to watch it dry.

My friend and I bounced on it, each of us at one end. It is solid. Doesn't move or flex at all. And the bike rack folds up!

MMMM so good.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Sexy bumper.

Sorry about the trans.

The Western Syncro build
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

You should make this bumper post its own thread.
People will beat a path to these bumpers knowing that they can be made to fit and at an attractive price tag!

I’ll sticky it in that FAQ so people can find it.

$6000 for a trans rebuild?
Major OUCH! Batman!
I get the appeal of a syncro but I could never stomach the price to play in that club!
I’ll be content to watch from the sidelines.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Very cool bumper. I feel bad for anyone who bumps into you.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Here's hoping the transmission lasts as long as that bumper will (forever).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
You should make this bumper post its own thread.
People will beat a path to these bumpers knowing that they can be made to fit and at an attractive price tag!

I’ll sticky it in that FAQ so people can find it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9755679#9755679

You can link it directly to the post if you want.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

That bumper is fantastic, and a very creative use of an existing product.

Awaiting Smallcar and/or Gowesty poach in 3...2...1...

Also, my $5k trans rebuild says hello. Perhaps we start a support group for dealing with this pain. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 18

Jump to: