Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken clutch cable...NOT! (aka, correct cable length)
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Broken clutch cable...NOT! (aka, correct cable length) Reply with quote

When the clutch pedal popped to the floor getting out of my driveway, right after I tightened it up, I assumed it had broken.

Over the last hundred miles or so (many weeks) I had noticed the engagement point in pedal travel had been moving... more play at the pedal tip.

So I assumed it might have been gradually pulling out of the cast end piece(s), and finally pulled all the way out.

So I pulled the cable, and lo and behold... not broken! A few strands broken, though.

Next I checked the pedal cluster... cable hook is fine... pedal pin is fine and there are no cracks anywhere (I've had all three troubles in other VWs over the years. Also, the trans clutch arm felt pretty normal, at least as little as I could work it with my hand.

So I measured the cable against a spare I already had, and a new spare ordered form ISPwest when this happened.

Guess what... three different lengths!

The longest is the old one, with a few strands broken, which should allow it more length. Anyone seen it lengthen this much, though?

The other two are listed as PN 311 721 335A.

Here is the comparison:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lengths of the two new ones are 90" and 91.5" (2.286m and 2.324m)

Anyone know which is correct? Should be in progressive refinements or other pubs, none of which I can find right now.

I can do trial and error, but its such a messy and finicky job, I'd rather do it once with the correct cable!

Thanks!

EDIT:
I see the JBugs site lists 2333mm length, suggesting the longer of my two new cables is the correct one.
S& Aircooled lists cable lengths of 2282mm and 2287mm for Bugs, and 2327mm for Type 3. In both cases, a 5mm difference can be taken up by adjustment at the trans end, so that isn't very significant. But there's a clear difference between Bug and Type 3 lengths.
So I'm leaning towards the longer of the two.

2nd EDIT:
From the Type 3 parts Book... '65-up has a 2333mm cable.
Pretty much confirms I had a Bug cable all this time as my spare.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken clutch cable...NOT! (aka, correct cable length) Reply with quote

Ok, I dove in with the 2333mm cable and it fit well and fixed the problem!

So my theory is that as strands broke it could stretch/uncoil, and that's the progressive loosening I observed, until enough broke to REALLY let it extend.

I've never had one fail this way before.

There broken strands were in the vicinity of the Bowden tube, which was replaced years ago. I never liked the cheap feel of the new one, compared to the old one, but that's all that was available.

Hopefully the Bowden tube isn't doing a number on my new cable... a spare is on the way just in case (I always carry one anyway).
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken clutch cable...NOT! (aka, correct cable length) Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Ok, I dove in with the 2333mm cable and it fit well and fixed the problem!

So my theory is that as strands broke it could stretch/uncoil, and that's the progressive loosening I observed, until enough broke to REALLY let it extend.

I've never had one fail this way before.

There broken strands were in the vicinity of the Bowden tube, which was replaced years ago. I never liked the cheap feel of the new one, compared to the old one, but that's all that was available.

Hopefully the Bowden tube isn't doing a number on my new cable... a spare is on the way just in case (I always carry one anyway).

Hopefully you didn't break a support tube connection piece loose, or the very rear tack weld of the tube.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Broken clutch cable...NOT! (aka, correct cable length) Reply with quote

Yes, that was my fear(!) but with the new cable it adjusted easily and works great-- no sponginess or noises.

It's the lengthening of the cable that puzzles me... I didn't expect a few strands to let it extend that much.

And all these years I've been carrying a spare in confidence... man, I would have been PO'ed if I replaced it on the side of the road and found it too short!

I do know it can be done in the field... like the Type 3 Pit Crew did on the last Rally at San Simeon!

One of the messier jobs for sure! My back still hurts!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: