Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super Speedo Cable
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: 73 Super Speedo Cable Reply with quote

I installed my dash on my 73 curved windshield Super beetle.

Needless to say I didn’t know my speedometer cable was broke at the wheel.

Do I have to pull that dash back out to change or is there a sneaky way of getting to it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Speedo Cable Reply with quote

Tim talks about it in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559333&highlight=super+speedo

Hope that's helpful, I don't have a super- so I'm of limited help here. Very Happy
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Speedo Cable Reply with quote

The explanation included removing the speedometer completely. If you’re just replacing the speedo cable, you don’t have to push out the speedometer. You just need to remove the faceplate, then reach through the hole on the left of the speedo and unscrew the knurled end of the speedo cable.

Because it’s tight in the opening, I use a pair of pre-bent needle nose pliers to get the knurled end loose from the back of the speedometer, then unscrew it completely, using my left hand.

Take care how you route the speedo cable; no tight bends.

Also, after removing the five screws from the faceplate, you kind of have to walk it off toward you, the upper part of the faceplate slanting back a little (just a slight angle). Then you have to remove the switches from the faceplate, because the switches and their wiring will prevent you from removing the plate. This is easy. Each switch are held onto the faceplate by an upper and lower tab/arm. These tabs fit into upper and lower slots in the framework of the faceplate. Just pinch the tabs toward the center of each switch, then pull the switch toward the dash. The switch wiring stays connected to the switches.

Once all the switches are pulled toward the front of the car, the faceplate is just left in your hand. Put it on a seat where it won’t be sat on and go in for the knurled end of them speedo cable. A few switches may get in your way, but just push them aside, as they are suspended by their wiring connections.

Be extra careful fooling around in there. It’s easy to dislodge wiring connects—especially on the back of the speedo).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Speedo Cable Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Tim talks about it in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559333&highlight=super+speedo

Hope that's helpful, I don't have a super- so I'm of limited help here. Very Happy

Thanks for the link, I just read through some of it right now!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Speedo Cable Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
The explanation included removing the speedometer completely. If you’re just replacing the speedo cable, you don’t have to push out the speedometer. You just need to remove the faceplate, then reach through the hole on the left of the speedo and unscrew the knurled end of the speedo cable.

Because it’s tight in the opening, I use a pair of pre-bent needle nose pliers to get the knurled end loose from the back of the speedometer, then unscrew it completely, using my left hand.

Also, after removing the five screws from the faceplate, you kind of have to walk it off toward you, the upper part of the faceplate slanting back a little (just a slight angle). Then you have to remove the switches from the faceplate, because the switches and their wiring will prevent you from removing the plate. This is easy. Each switch are held onto the faceplate by an upper and lower tab/arm. These tabs fit into upper and lower slots in the framework of the faceplate. Just pinch the tabs toward the center of each switch, then pull the switch toward the dash. The switch wiring stays connected to the switches.

Once all the switches are pulled toward the front of the car, the faceplate is just left in your hand. Put it on a seat where it won’t be sat on and go in for the knurled end of them speedo cable. A few switches may get in your way, but just push them aside, as they are suspended by their wiring connections.

Be extra careful fooling around in there. It’s easy to dislodge wiring connects—especially on the back of the speedo).

Tim

Thanks!! I just screen capture this on my phone so I can take it up the garage with me tomorrow. I’m going to try to get that changed. I can’t believe I didn’t realize it was broke after I put everything together. Rolling Eyes
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Speedo Cable Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Instead of running up to my garage I just looked at the photo I have on my computer. The only face plate I have is below the speedometer it’s a long wood grain piece and I don’t see any screws on it? I forgot I took my dash off of the 74 would that matter? Believe it’s the same as a 73 though.
Here's a photo. My steering wheel is on now though, just not in photo!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: