Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have just started working on my new project. This was my mothers first car. I believe she got it when it was already 20 years old, had already been converted to a baja, and my grandpa had it painted its current colors.

I drove it around a bit when I was in highschool, and I have now brought it to my place to begin working on it.

I wanted to start this build thread to hope to get a little bit of information out of all the brilliant minds on here, and possibly help out with some others who want to tackle something similar.

Here is a pic of the bug in my garage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the start of the tear down.

I am going to set up some braces across the doors so that the body doesn't try to fold up when I pull it off the pan.

My plans are to replace the floors in the pan and then work on replacing what was cut off in the conversion to baja. To find the correct rear apron section that was cut out, do i need to find a convertible specific rear or just the convertible specific decklid?

Any notes, questions, comments, suggestions would be awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

the rear apron should be ok from a sedan, you MUST however use a louvered deck lid or find some other way to vent the engine bay.

beware of aftermarket sheet metal, thin metal, poor quality stampings, bad fit, some can be spotted 100 feet away as fakes.

since convertibles are so valuable, and your labour likewise is valuable, Id only source good used original german metal. this goes for both aprons and the fenders and hoods. most all the repro stuff is junky. do not waste your time with repro garbage.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Dang that is a super cool car with a ton of history! Keep us posted.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

I would had kept it as is and enjoyed it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

It was kinda cool as it was in a historical sense.

If the heater channels & stiffeners are solid, there shouldn’t be any need for additional bracing.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
the rear apron should be ok from a sedan, you MUST however use a louvered deck lid or find some other way to vent the engine bay.

beware of aftermarket sheet metal, thin metal, poor quality stampings, bad fit, some can be spotted 100 feet away as fakes.

since convertibles are so valuable, and your labour likewise is valuable, Id only source good used original german metal. this goes for both aprons and the fenders and hoods. most all the repro stuff is junky. do not waste your time with repro garbage.

Bug On!

Thank you! I plan to source both front and rear and fenders from one or a couple 62 with original metal. Other than the functionality of the louvered lid, it looks badass too.
Very Happy
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Dang that is a super cool car with a ton of history! Keep us posted.

Will do! Thanks!
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
It was kinda cool as it was in a historical sense.

If the heater channels & stiffeners are solid, there shouldn’t be any need for additional bracing.

Thank you, I just pulled the doors and steering column and broke the body loose from the pan, and it seems to be solid enough so long as I am carefull with it. I'm going to sand blast myself so I wont be worring about others folding it up.

I suppose I pulled the column out after this photo.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Dayum! Your mother drove it with that steering wheel?!?

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Keep the top up and latched and it won't fold up.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Really digging the stripe.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

I always liked the convertible on the cover of the baja bugs and buggies book.
Shop talk forum user central wash baja also has a nice one.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

I’d almost be tempted to leave it a Baja, just make it bad ass and put the same paint job back on it.... I think it’s kinda cool.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

You're redoing that same awesome paintjob, right? Your Grandpa worked hard on it!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
You're redoing that same awesome paintjob, right? Your Grandpa worked hard on it!
I
I personally would leave it. It rocks.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:

That's what I'm saying! He's putting the bodywork back to stock but I hope he paints the new hood and stuff to match the old.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:

That's what I'm saying! He's putting the bodywork back to stock but I hope he paints the new hood and stuff to match the old.

WOW! To tell you all the truth, I wasn't really considering that until all of this feedback. I really liked this color I found under the rear "air scoop"?

It looks like it was this color at some point, also shows this color under the grey paint chipping off the wheels.

Thanks for the input!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

That car is so represented of the early 70's.....I had an identical steering wheel in the late 60's in my 66 bug. I personally loved it. Was bad ass.
In early 70's bajas were coming into their own, A writer for Hot VWs magazine (anyone remember it?) It was a custom offroad VW. A Convertible full body car, with that 2" lift kit between the pan and body,
It was bad ass looking then and i think it would be badass now.
Bill Hendricks on the lower Colorado river use to build Bajas with paint jobs that resemble the one your Grand father did..
Good luck with it .
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

That car is perfect the way that it is. I think it would be worth more as a period correct piece than if it was taken back to stock. Besides, it would lose all of it's personality & history. I'm sure that your mom has many great memories of it, especially since her father personalized it for her.

buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

I got the body off the pan, only real surprise was how bad of shape the heater channels are in. Will need replacing.

I think my next step is cutting out the pan halves and replace them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: