Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

jitbba wrote:
That turn signal spot is too big and too far back to be from a 62. I'd say 64-65

What the hell. Can you tell me how I can spot a 62 fender when I am shopping for one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

buntist wrote:
jitbba wrote:
That turn signal spot is too big and too far back to be from a 62. I'd say 64-65

What the hell. Can you tell me how I can spot a 62 fender when I am shopping for one?

Look at the pictures in post 1 and post 5 in this thread - Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread. The turn signal on a 62 fender is going to be farther forward, and further from the body/hood.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Thank you,

Does anyone have measurements?

Specifically, something that I can use when I am trying to buy a fender in person, and don't know if the seller knows what year it is from.

Measurements of the hole diameter, measurements from the front inside corner?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

buntist wrote:
Thank you,

Does anyone have measurements?

Specifically, something that I can use when I am trying to buy a fender in person, and don't know if the seller knows what year it is from.

Measurements of the hole diameter, measurements from the front inside corner?

Thanks!

I don't have measurements but if you place the palm of your hand at the top of the headlight bucket to the turn signal hole, your fingers will reach it
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Here's a page from a 1960 tech bulletin showing how to install indicators on earlier cars that didn't have them. It seems like this should be the correct location for a late 50s/early 60s car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e12.php
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Here's a page from a 1960 tech bulletin showing how to install indicators on earlier cars that didn't have them. It seems like this should be the correct location for a late 50s/early 60s car.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e12.php

Wow! Great find. Much appreciated
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Great project, its always nice to see another vert getting saved. Unfortunately though.. piecing this car together out of random loose parts is the absolute hardest way to go about this. There are a lot of part sellers on here and other places that just dont know or care about the specific years of the stuff they sell. Lots of beat up leftover junk or very high priced stuff.

Years 61 through 63 are the closest and correct years to get parts for your 62 convertible. The convertible can be the most difficult vw to restore and you will need every edge possible to be able to finish your car someday. I know because Ive restored many in the past 3 decades and I still own 3 today.

Your car is important to you and well worth the trouble but you have gotten bad info and terrible advise from the usual suspects around here in the forums. The best thing you can do at this point is to buy a "complete" un hit, un dented, un rusted original as possible 61 thru 63 sedan in good condition..remember your car is a convertible and its worth saving..forget the whiners!

The complete car is best because you can see the shut lines of the hood and decklid to make sure it all lines up, so it does on your car once transfered over. All body and fender gaps. How the fenders line up to the front and rear clips. That the bumper brackets hold the bumpers straight through the apron and rear fenders. This is the edge you need. You will get all the correct year parts in one shot. The hoods, fenders, bumpers, brackets, lights, handles..everything. Even the correct hardware to put it all together is priceless. You also get the measurements of where to cut the clips so there is no more guessing.

The donor cars are out there.. there is plenty of them. You may get lucky and find a cheap one, but its got to be complete.. Even spending $2500 or more for a donor is well worth it. All the nice correct german parts add up to big $$$$. In the end you will have many extra parts leftover you can sell and trade to get money back to buy the remaining odds and ends to complete your convertible. Whatever you do.. I wish you luck. Once finished the reward of driving the car, knowing its done right..is well worth the money and effort!

My 63 with an old friends 67
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

are you still looking for a front clip and fenders? i have a friend up north who lives near a acvw junkyard, and i just found a small junk yard by me. if i buy two i may be able to get em cheaper. they would have to be shipped of course. if my scrap yard doesnt allow cutting i know my friend can get a front clip or two if i ask nice enough Wink let me know, i know i can get real nice OG fenders from my local shop. im calling on prices today if they arent closed by then.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
let me know, i know i can get real nice OG fenders from my local shop. im calling on prices today if they arent closed by then.

Yes! I still need 2 correct looking front fenders! I just bought 2 that are actually later fenders. As for the clips, I picked up a good parts car. May need a good rear apron, but clips look good.

hm wrote:

Years 61 through 63 are the closest and correct years to get parts for your 62 convertible. The convertible can be the most difficult vw to restore and you will need every edge possible to be able to finish your car someday. I know because Ive restored many in the past 3 decades and I still own 3 today.

Thank you for stopping in, wish you were around to tell me to go pick up a complete 63 about a year ago! Shoot!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Alright. Sounds good. I will see if he's got correct fenders for you car. I will send a PM soon.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

I picked up this front clip for fairly low cost. Guessing 66? I think I may use the small portion of it that I need for the vert. Not seeing large enough differences in the 62 and this one that make me think otherwise. And, it is much straighter, and has all of the fender bolt nuts in tact.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Yeah, it would have been nice if they would have saved the vin plate and kept it with the car.... likely got pitched along with the nice clips they removed🤨
It seems like I seen someone selling repro plates... but to me it sounds legally kinda sketchy.
Have you been able to find clips for it? I have a rear apron skin...it has no internal sheet metal as far as engine seal area it’s not perfect but it’s OG... I’d be willing to donate that to the cause.... 62s hold a special place for me.

Is your rear apron skin still available? The parts car I got has a crunched rear apron, the clip is good, but I do not think I would be able to straighten the apron.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Well, I dug the apron out of storage... I actually had this on my car about 15 years ago but I found a nicer one before I painted it. I did however harvest the inner panel out of it.... it needs some work to make usable again.

buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Well, I dug the apron out of storage... I actually had this on my car about 15 years ago but I found a nicer one before I painted it. I did however harvest the inner panel out of it.... it needs some work to make usable again.

I am definitely interested. I am not in a rush for this, I still need to find a good straight hood and decklid before I start to cut and splice together the clips.

PM me to let me know how you want to handle pay and shipping.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

buntist wrote:
I just finished setting up my double engine stand partial rotisserie.

It will allow me to work on the reinforcement rails more easily and should be more helpful to do body work.

I can get quite a bit more tilt on it, but need a second person to put the pin in it for it to stop rotating.

Just incase anyone was going to look into doing this, I mounted the front stand at the two points that mount to the beam. I don't recommend this if youre going to be working on the front clip at all. I don't think anything got tweaked, but i noticed it having a bit of flex.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

I got the front clip stitched into place. need to work the apron a bit more before I install it. Still need to do quite a bit of grinding and touch up welding, but I think it is turning out pretty good.

Working on the rear clip panels and noticed that the vert fender nuts are inset like this,

The panels from my sedan donor car are not. Wondering if I should remove these fender nuts and weld in the inset ones?

Still looking for a good decklid and hood.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

buntist wrote:
I got the front clip stitched into place. need to work the apron a bit more before I install it. Still need to do quite a bit of grinding and touch up welding, but I think it is turning out pretty good.

You did better than Michele Jackson's plastic surgeon. Razz I think it is better than pretty good.

What year is the donor?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Quote:
The panels from my sedan donor car are not. Wondering if I should remove these fender nuts and weld in the inset ones?
Nahh. The fender flange and the fender beading completely covers those weld nuts. Nobody will ever see the difference.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
Nahh. The fender flange and the fender beading completely covers those weld nuts. Nobody will ever see the difference.

That is what I was thinking too. Thanks for the input.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

You did better than Michele Jackson's plastic surgeon. Razz I think it is better than pretty good.

What year is the donor?

Thanks!
The donor car is a '62 sedan only a couple months apart from my vert.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: