Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

buntist wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

You did better than Michele Jackson's plastic surgeon. Razz I think it is better than pretty good.

What year is the donor?

Thanks!
The donor car is a '62 sedan only a couple months apart from my vert.

Must have been a factory change as IIRC the bodies were shipped to Karmann, rather than Karmann manufacturing the bodies. Which 1962 is newer?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

The nuts are a transition thing around that year range, they used the old style panel until production supply was gone. My 61 has the early style nuts on the passenger side and the later on the driver side from the factory.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

I just tried to setup a better "rotisserie".

I need to start working on replacing or patching the reinforcement rails fairly soon, and am actually think it may be best if I set the entire body upside down on a stand, supported adequately enough to where once I cut away the reinforcement rails, if I find out I need to do some repair to, or completely replace the heater channels, that the stand could be turned into a jig without having to move the body around much more.

Just trying to think ahead a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Got it upside down and supported pretty well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are an insane amount of spot welds holding the reinforcement rails to the heater channels. Has anyone used an air chisel/seam ripper to remove these from the heater channel? Not wanting to drill out all of the spot welds.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Has anyone found reinforcement rails with a bulge in the front on the passenger side? This is where the wire harness runs.
WW just told me theirs doesn’t have one.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

The reinforcement rails are thicker than the bottom plates on the heater channels, the thinner metal is more likely to tear. Use a die grinder to thin the spot welds, then use a spot weld separator to cut through the rest.

It’s highly likely that you’ll find that the bottom plate of the channel it rusted through too.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The reinforcement rails are thicker than the bottom plates on the heater channels, the thinner metal is more likely to tear. Use a die grinder to thin the spot welds, then use a spot weld separator to cut through the rest.

It’s highly likely that you’ll find that the bottom plate of the channel it rusted through too.

Thanks! I will do that. There are some pretty good lengths of reinforcement rail completely rusted out where I can see the bottom plate of the heater channel, and it looks to be okay! I will report back after I get the rails removed. 👍
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

I have been working on the bottom of the heater channels and the reinforcement rails.
It has been a bit of a hellish part of this resto.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

It’s been a while since I've posted and a while since I’ve done any work. I built a platform to roll the body around upside down while working on the reinforcement rails and bottom plate of heater channel on driver side.

Then I just got a hoist system set up from my trusses so that I can lift the pan and set it in place over and over as I work on fitting the reinforcement rails and the bottom panel for the driver side heater channel. Seems to be lining up well. Couple issues I’ve had is the amount t of grinding to get the original bottom plate of the heater channel separate from the rest. Next, getting the original screws to reach through the new rubber body to pan seals, through the new reinforcement rails and into the screw holes.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Nice work! Keep it up! Pan looks fantastic! Your paint seems to have layed on smooth unlike mine lol.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Nice work! Keep it up! Pan looks fantastic! Your paint seems to have layed on smooth unlike mine lol.

Thanks!
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

I have almost completed the reinforcement rail replacement.

I ended up replacing the heater channel bottom on the passenger side but leaving the one on the driver side as it was in good shape. I painted with por15 all over!
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

buntist wrote:
I have almost completed the reinforcement rail replacement.

I ended up replacing the heater channel bottom on the passenger side but leaving the one on the driver side as it was in good shape. I painted with por15 all over!

Looking good!

Interesting, never seen a soft top body. So is the pan narrower to interface with the reinforcement rails?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

[quote="Adriel Rowley"]
buntist wrote:

Interesting, never seen a soft top body. So is the pan narrower to interface with the reinforcement rails?

No same pan as sedan minus the jack point. I put a sedan pan under a vert body.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

[quote="weasel_ugs"]
Adriel Rowley wrote:
buntist wrote:

No same pan as sedan minus the jack point. I put a sedan pan under a vert body.

Thats right, the vert replacement pans come without the jack point on them, as they are on the reinforcement rails, seen here

buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Why is it so rare to get someone to respond to their classified ads on here?

I'm ready to get a decklid and rear apron. I have realized i am not likely going to find a vert lid so one that I can fab some louvers into.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

buntist wrote:

I'm ready to get a decklid and rear apron. I have realized i am not likely going to find a vert lid so one that I can fab some louvers into.

IKR! No joke the last 4 different members with parts i wanted to buy, never even answered! What their problem is im not sure. They must not want to sell parts Question

I saw some vert decklids on FB, they're just pricy.

Heres another option,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1104959
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

You certainly could fabricate a replica convertible engine lid using a sedan lid, and the pair of vents from a '70 or '71 sedan. If you do this, be sure to measure the louver placement exactly for the '62 spacing. The tops of the vents on the '66 and earlier lids are in a straight line, whereby on the '68 and '69 'vert and '70/'71 sedan lids they are tilted slightly downwards. You can see this clearly on these:
VOLKSWAGNUT gallery, '65:

azamy66, '68:

With this method, you'll still need to find and fit your water tray underneath but those should be easy to find. Ones from a later Beetle should "fit" into an earlier lid. I think it's more important to see the water tray in place instead of it being missing or of an incorrect year/era.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
buntist wrote:

IKR! No joke the last 4 different members with parts i wanted to buy, never even answered! What their problem is im not sure. They must not want to sell parts Question

I saw some vert decklids on FB, they're just pricy.

Heres another option,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1104959

There is a guy local to me that does really cool custom stuff too, but I want to try my hand at it.

Also, on the classifieds note, I did see some of the folks I was messaging had a phone number, so texting proved to work well.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Convertible - Baja to Original Conversion Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
You certainly could fabricate a replica convertible engine lid using a sedan lid, and the pair of vents from a '70 or '71 sedan. If you do this, be sure to measure the louver placement exactly for the '62 spacing. The tops of the vents on the '66 and earlier lids are in a straight line, whereby on the '68 and '69 'vert and '70/'71 sedan lids they are tilted slightly downwards. You can see this clearly on these:
VOLKSWAGNUT gallery, '65:

azamy66, '68:

With this method, you'll still need to find and fit your water tray underneath but those should be easy to find. Ones from a later Beetle should "fit" into an earlier lid. I think it's more important to see the water tray in place instead of it being missing or of an incorrect year/era.

Good notes! Thank you much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: