Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 questions before purchase
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

Need some advice, please.....
Seems I hadn’t logged into the forum since 2007! I’ve been out of VW’s for over decade and lately I’ve had a strong desire to get a type 1.

Been to look at several in the past couple weeks and they were all way rougher than I’d like to start out with. Found what appears to be a pretty sweet ‘67 that’s a few hours away and I’ve been in touch with the owner, he’s been really responsive and willing to send extra pics and answer questions. However, he claims it has a 1500 in it, but I’m not sure about that. Looks like a 1600 dual port to me. I can see a rubber coupling on the intake from the one engine pic I have. Numbers under gen stand are not present.

Here’s the only engine pic I have for now......what is it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

brando90gl wrote:
he’s been really responsive and willing to send extra pics and answer questions.

I would ask for better pictures.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

It's a dual port. Not likely a 1500. Past that, there's no telling what it is other than not original.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

Yep good eye it is a dual port. Now what else is not stock?
Do go look at it drive it, that is the only way to know if you want it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I’m a little rusty in the VW scene and just wanted to make sure I wasn’t seeing things, since the owner claims it’s a 1500.

Any concerns over no numbers on case? I’ve read it could just mean a replacement block? Owner says it’s smooth where the numbers should be and doesn’t appear to have been ground off.

I requested more pics specifically of engine bay. He’s been super responsive, sent quite a few yesterday before the sun went down.

Front was crunched a bit at some point. Looks straight from the outside and hood closes fine. Appears to have been pulled back out?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

The Uker of OZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

I thought some type 3 cases were stamped on top of the case...kinda behind / next to the gen. stand. (someone will surely correct if I'm mistaken). Probably nothing to worry about if you're already ok with it not being original to the car.
Looks pretty nice otherwise...
Depends what you're looking for. (up here in the rust belt that would be considered dang near mint!)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

It looks like it has drop spindles & also appears to have some tire rub issues judging by the paint flaw on the driver side fender.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
It looks like it has drop spindles & also appears to have some tire rub issues judging by the paint flaw on the driver side fender.

I noticed that too. How is the rub normally corrected with drop spindles? Smaller front tires or air shocks?
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

The Uker of OZ wrote:
I thought some type 3 cases were stamped on top of the case...kinda behind / next to the gen. stand. (someone will surely correct if I'm mistaken). Probably nothing to worry about if you're already ok with it not being original to the car.
Depends what you're looking for. (up here in the rust belt that would be considered dang near mint!)

I had read type 3 blocks had the number elsewhere and it would be smooth below gen stand.

Im not worrying so much about not being original. I’m just looking for a solid starter project that doesn’t need a bunch of rust repair right off the bat. I agree, it appears to be solid.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

If the beam is adjustable, you could always raise it a bit. Or, you install original spindles or ask if the owner kept the original spindles.

If you like the stance, you could try to live with it or start going the route of a narrowed beam.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

brando90gl wrote:
The Uker of OZ wrote:

I had read type 3 blocks had the number elsewhere and it would be smooth below gen stand.

Im not worrying so much about not being original. I’m just looking for a solid starter project that doesn’t need a bunch of rust repair right off the bat. I agree, it appears to be solid.

This was my first though too - Possible Type 3 case that has been converted to an upright engine.

The Type 3 engine number is in the top center of the case near the case seam.

I agree it's probably a 1600 dual port too... best guess since that is the most common engine

If it's solid and runs good and generally looks like what you want, go for it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I’m trying to round up the owner and head that way today. Taking a trailer since roadside drama isn’t my thing anymore. Hopefully it all works out.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

brando90gl wrote:
since roadside drama isn’t my thing anymore.

Ahh the wisdom that age brings. You mean you don’t want to hop into an unknown 50 year old car you just bought and drive it cross country? Wuss.

JK. Looks like a decent car. Enjoy.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

I will say that you should expect to go through everything thoroughly (brakes), the rust pitting on the friction surfaces of the crank pulley suggests that the car (Or at least the pulley.) has been sitting for quite some time.

tatzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

Just picked one of these up myself last month with a 1600 DP... for what it's worth I'm flying around in traffic with what feels like a super smooth engine... I love it. Of course never having driven it w an original 1500 I have nothing to compare with - but so far I'm verrrry pleased with performance.

Mine also came with a lowered front w drop spindles, had fresh VW stock shock put on 2 weeks ago, and now I'm rubbing all over the place on speedier turns. Going to revert to air shocks to see if that helps.

Excited for you being on the verge of pulling the trigger on something!!

These things are a blast!

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

I wouldnt stress about it being a 1600. Good luck. Hoping the car is as nice as you hope.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice and encouragement, very much so. I’ll respond with wise cracks tomorrow. Very Happy

7 hour round trip. Wayyyyy better than I’d even hoped. Super solid car. I’m stoked.

robert hogaboam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

Car looks good. Post some trailer pics when you get it.

Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 67 questions before purchase Reply with quote

My 67 has a 1600, it's nothing to worry about. Your car looks great! I hope you enjoy it.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: