Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft prelube
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

We used to use GM EOS in V8's for cam break in, is there anything specific for the VW engines you recommend? Is the procedure the same? We used to run em up between about 1800 and 3000 for 20 or so minutes while varying the rpms between those ranges and changing the oil and filter after the first run. Also, on the CB performance oil pump that has the spin on oil filter cover, is that a PH8A type filter that it takes? I was gonna buy a couple for engine run in.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

The cams I have uses all came with its own little "pot" of lube with no name or numbers so can't recommend lube ...

Probably 2000 RPM for 20 minutes is what others are going to say....

Oil pump cover should take anything that is 3/4 X 16 threads....

Prefer WIX or NAPA brand filter over Fram... But then everyone has own opinion of what is best filter...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

Hold the PH8A in one hand, and anyone else's in the other, and the difference is amazing. I wouldn't use any Fram filter on any car these days. They use to be THE filter, but I think China bought them out.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

CB will send you a Mahle 83a.
I did the same thing and ordered four oil filters and sump gaskets to go through all the break in maintenance.

There are many assembly lube products.
I’ve never been let down with the Permatex brand of anything.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

http://www.cam-shield.com/acatalog/CamShaft_Assembly_Paste.html
Works for me!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

cam break in is cam break in....usual techniques apply...whatever break in lube you decided to use should have been applied to the cam and lifters at the time of assembly...if you didnt use anything at all some EOS and high zddp oil would be a lot better than nothing
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

I use CamShield on the lobes and lifter faces. For oil I use Lucas Hot Rod & Classics with the proper amount of zinc already in it. I used to use EOS but now I just get oil with zinc

brad
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

Never understood the cam lube. It wipes off after like two revolutions.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Never understood the cam lube. It wipes off after like two revolutions.

Me too, this is why I like to overfill the case with enough oil to bathe the cam.
Dan
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

There's still a film of lube even after a few revolutions and that's all it takes. Better a film of lube than metal on metal.

brad
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft prelube Reply with quote

I use the Permatex assembly lube -red color...for cam /lifter face lube, valve stems and tips. All else gets the 30W oil for assembly. Worked for me for years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: