Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

My 85' westy with a 2.3 gowesty motor needs a new exhaust... From the headers back. I'm wondering what people think of the gowesty stainless system? When I bought my 2.3 in 07' gowesty replaced my whole exhaust system and it began getting holes 6 months ago. Is this a typical lifespan for an exhaust that doesn't see any salt? Their new SS system seems like the best value for a replacement exhaust but I'm curious abbout the quality?

Can anyone give any feedback?
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jetpoweredmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed these pipes on my rebuilt engine after fighting with Dansk pipes. Those fit extremely poorly and are restrictive. The GW pipes are looking good so far, installed and fit perfectly and eliminate some weight and the connection to the crankcase, and they tuck up nice. They are the only ones I'd buy if you can't afford the RMW.

As GW points out, they will rust until covered in oxide, then should last a long time. Mine are still looking new but I live where salt doesn't. If you want them to look good long term, high temp powdercoat is just the thing.
schoonerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had the GW stainless kit installed on my recent RJE engine and was very impressed with the quality and fit, I didn't get their cat, I bought a Frank Condelli stainless cat, sure sounds great.
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed half a dozen or so, they fit perfect, a cheap replacement of the stock system. I'm not so sure of any performance gain.
Jeff
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick esoteric question:

Isn't a "baloney cut" muffler tip supposed to have the long end of the bevel at the top? Seems like this might be an issue that could impact the approach angle on a Syncro...or am I over-thinking this?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Quick esoteric question:

Isn't a "baloney cut" muffler tip supposed to have the long end of the bevel at the top? Seems like this might be an issue that could impact the approach angle on a Syncro...or am I over-thinking this?

The GW tailpipe is cut at an angle in consideration of the downward angle the tailpipe itself is mounted at. The angled cut allows the back of the tailpipe to be vertical.

I wouldn't worry to much about Syncro departure angle. The overall length of the tailpipe isn't any different than with a stock Syncro.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David. I haven't installed it yet, and don't know how it will sit when in position, but it just looks odd. At first I thought it was a production SNAFU, but then when I visited their site, I saw that it's how they're advertized.

y u rune klassik?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Thanks David. I haven't installed it yet, and don't know how it will sit when in position, but it just looks odd. At first I thought it was a production SNAFU, but then when I visited their site, I saw that it's how they're advertized.

Yeah, no problem, Casey. You're not the first one to question that cut. I remember someone else wondering about it too. So are you putting that exhaust on your Bluestar? For some reason I thought you were done with the WBX thing and moving ahead with the TDI conversion.

D
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is going on a friend's '86 Syncro with an RV code 1.8L @15 degrees. My WBX just won't die, though the stock muffler has blown out and rattles like all get-out. The ALH is patiently awaiting a more favorable bank account

y u rune klassik?
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

Happy with mine so far. I've had it for about a week. From in the cabin I've noticed this: It's quieter than stock at idle, and a little more boomy at highway speeds.

It looks nice, and is a good improvement over the original. Failing smog led me to purchase and have this installed by a trusted shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

that muffler looks very similar to my 6 year old stainless small car muffler.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

I recently had the GW SS exhaust installed by PeaceVans. I'm very happy with the end product and would agree that it is quieter inside the cab with the new install. But i should caveat that with the fact that my old muffler failed due to rust, and thus there might have been other places in the pipes that were deteriorated enough that the sounds might have been higher than the stock. But with that all said, I'm very happy with the SS GW muffler and the "lifetime" warranty on parts that comes with it.

I had mine installed in the beginning of last month (August 2016).
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

I have looked at these but it says for a 1.9 you have to modify (grind) the T-stat housing among other things.

In typical Go Westy fashion they seem to think they are the best solution to a non problem. Rant over

"The 1.9 system was abandoned in 1985 for good reason, so now is the time to upgrade! Order this later style exhaust kit, plus the following parts you will need to convert"
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

what hitch is that? looks clean
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

baltik wrote:

what hitch is that? looks clean

Hey, thanks Baltik. I'm not sure if mine is the same brand. The PO already had it installed when I purchased the Vanagon. The piece on the end is a thick rubber cover that "snaps" over the combination part.

brutisbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

I had the GW stainless exhaust installed by the shop when I did a re-build, In fact one of the reasons I did it was the original headers were more or less welded onto the block with crud and failing. Later, I had to remove the heat shield to get at the oil pressure sender and because the SS header flanges are so thick and they were installed with bolts, the bolts would hit the header before coming all the way out of the block I basically had to remove the whole header just to remove the heat shield, bummer. Luckily I had a set of header gaskets around, simple job turned into all day cursing session. Not sure if the installer used wrong fasteners as I thought they were stud based etc... Anyway, they perform fine, after 18K they look steel, and I replaced those crappy stock heat shields with the SS ones from Vanistan. (easy to remove)
chiefpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

GW SS looks pretty, sounds nice, but still haven't been able to get the system to fit in my 1983.5 right so that it doesn't rattle or leak. (In other words, it doesn't sound nice.) Two attempts, everything is in according to GoWesty's instructions (which were conveniently filmed with an engine on a stand) and I've given up. The van is at a VW shop and hopefully they can figure it out. I'm still irritated from trying for several hours yesterday. The header pipes do fit on beautifully compared to my old exhaust. The main fit issue is at the J-pipe / cat connection, with very little body clearance there, and difficulty getting seals with the donuts on either end of the J-pipe. Getting the long flange on the muffler to face forward AND the tailpipe bevel to be perpendicular with the ground - ha, good luck.

Anybody struggle with this and have an "AHA!" moment?
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

Their system is made of low grade stainless. It'll still rust but it seems nice for the price.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
Their system is made of low grade stainless. It'll still rust but it seems nice for the price.

I may be but the type just because to will rust does not mean it is low grade. Having said that I would prefer it not rusting Smile
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

yes to it being tricky to figure out how to get the tailpipe pointed in the right direction and still have the donuts seal. took a couple tries and was frustrating!

I actually find the muffler to be louder than stock...but I also have it paired to a RJE 2.3. are the bigger bore engines louder?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: