Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

Gents-

Working interior tonight. Two quick questions:

1 - the two holes along the passenger side heater channel, just pass the "normal" square opening for heat, why are there two holes?

2 - the cable in my hand (one on both sides) comes out of the tunnel. They extend fairly long. Not sure if they are put of the heater cable system or what

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

Those cables actuate the flaps in the heater plastic covers. Those holes in the passenger side look like the ones in the driver's side for the wiring harness to pass through. Wonder if they were made the same for right or left hand drive cars?
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

RHD cars have their wiring harness on the left hand side just like LHD cars .
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

beetle nut.... are you saying the flaps in the rear heat under the rear seat?
They are quite long and not sure what you meant by 'heater plastic covers'?

meranda ... that probably is what it is.... just a random spot on the heater channel

thankss
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
beetle nut.... are you saying the flaps in the rear heat under the rear seat?
They are quite long and not sure what you meant by 'heater plastic covers'?

meranda ... that probably is what it is.... just a random spot on the heater channel

thankss

No, I'm talking about these plastic covers, with a flap in them, that that cable opens and closes when you move the lever by the E-brake. They fit in the square opening of the heater channel just forward of the front seat by the "A" pillar.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

Beetlenut ....Ah gotcha.... but it's weird how they will attach. (wish i took a better pic).

The cable in question comes out of a tube along side the tunnel (both sides).
Then they extend probably 2 - 3 feet with a broken plastic 'something' on the end.

So in order for those to operate those black plastic heat covers (which I just bought two news ones from Wolfsburg West); it would have to go under the carpet or ???

I'll need to look at it closer tonight.

Thanks for you feedback !!!
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

I might have a clue. This post (a few pics down) kind of shows what it might be. It would be strange why they would route this cable under the carpet though.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
I might have a clue. This post (a few pics down) kind of shows what it might be. It would be strange why they would route this cable under the carpet though.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Yes, they go under the carpet. I just found my old ones and have to put them back on. Those pics help a lot remembering how they came apart! I believe the heat lever next to the drivers seat operates that cable and directs heat into the cabin when open, or up to the windshield for defrost when closed.

markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

Thanks beetlenut.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

STOP.

The heat control levers by the emergency brake have nothing to do with those front footwell vent flaps. The passenger side lever by the e-brake operates the flaps inside both of the heat exchangers attached to the engine. It allows heat to come up into the cabin from the engine-- it is the primary heat source controller.

The driver's side heat lever (by the emergency brake) operates the REAR footwell vent flaps (the ones in the Y-shaped pipes underneath the rear seat that protrude through the kick panel in the front of the rear seat.)

I believe those cables you are holding in your hand that are coming out of the tunnel are for the center mounted levers, from the control levers they go down through the tunnel, the left one comes out under the rear seat and splits into two cables, one for each rear footwell flap. The passenger side one extends further back and comes out through guide tubes under the rear of the car and connects to the flap levers on each heat exchanger.

Those front footwell vent flaps are operated by separate cables that extend up behind the front cowl carpet and stick up out the top (one on each side.) They are completely independent of those center mounted flap levers. In the open position they allow heat out into the front footwells. In the closed position they close off the front footwell vents and allow the heat to travel further up the heater channel and up to the dash through those hoses you see in your trunk.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
STOP.

The heat control levers by the emergency brake have nothing to do with those front footwell vent flaps. The passenger side lever by the e-brake operates the flaps inside both of the heat exchangers attached to the engine. It allows heat to come up into the cabin from the engine-- it is the primary heat source controller.

Nope. Wrong, sorry.
sb001 wrote:

The driver's side heat lever (by the emergency brake) operates the REAR footwell vent flaps (the ones in the Y-shaped pipes underneath the rear seat that protrude through the kick panel in the front of the rear seat.)

Partiallly true. There is a connection for cables to go to the front foot well vents AND the rear vents.
sb001 wrote:

I believe those cables you are holding in your hand that are coming out of the tunnel are for the center mounted levers, from the control levers they go down through the tunnel, the left one comes out under the rear seat and splits into two cables, one for each rear footwell flap. The passenger side one extends further back and comes out through guide tubes under the rear of the car and connects to the flap levers on each heat exchanger.

Those front footwell vent flaps are operated by separate cables that extend up behind the front cowl carpet and stick up out the top (one on each side.) They are completely independent of those center mounted flap levers. In the open position they allow heat out into the front footwells. In the closed position they close off the front footwell vents and allow the heat to travel further up the heater channel and up to the dash through those hoses you see in your trunk.

That is a one-year-only thing. 1969 and only in the Ghia, IIRC.

Here's some educational pictures and information related to this:

From Pete's rebuild thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...de#7389664

Heating system tutorial:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434051
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

Is the passenger side heater channel an aftermarket replacement or the original one?
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
sb001 wrote:
STOP.

Nope. Wrong, sorry.

Yes you are correct I am wrong that it is that way on his 73 which I should have looked up before posting. VW did in fact go to an inferior "one flap controls all" system for the footwell vents in later models.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Partiallly true. There is a connection for cables to go to the front foot well vents AND the rear vents.

Again, you are correct- on the later models.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
sb001 wrote:

That is a one-year-only thing. 1969 and only in the Ghia, IIRC.

Not a one year only system- VW used the separate front/ rear footwell vent systems through 1972.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Heating system tutorial:

Is this for me?? Thanks but I already know 100% how my heating system works.

1600 SP engine
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

I love this site. So much great information. Thank you sb001 and Nate...

I need to read these replies and digest it all.

TK-CS, the best I can tell it is original... but I am not 100%
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

[quote="AlmostHeavenWV_VW"]
sb001 wrote:

Heating system tutorial:

Thanks for posting this. Very helpful.

baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

I believe you're describing the way the front footwell flap control cables were set up for model year 1969 Beetles (a 1 year only configuration, I think - ?).

Late model Beetles (1975 and up, I believe) however did have the front footwell and rear footwell door/flap control cables all attached to the left (driver's side) heater control lever. The link markeaton posted earlier has some good pics of that setup: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
sb001 wrote:

I believe you're describing the way the front footwell flap control cables were set up for model year 1969 Beetles (a 1 year only configuration, I think - ?).

Late model Beetles (1975 and up, I believe) however did have the front footwell and rear footwell door/flap control cables all attached to the left (driver's side) heater control lever. The link markeaton posted earlier has some good pics of that setup: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

It's 73 and up. The OP has a 73 which I went back and checked the owner's manual for- it indeed has a one-flap control (driver's side by e-brake) for the front AND rear footwell vents:

Checking the other owner's manuals it looks like up through 72 models had the separate control levers for the front and rear footwell vents. This is the heater section of the 1972 manual:

Where are you all getting the idea that this separate front/rear footwell vent system was 1969 only?

1600 SP engine
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Where are you all getting the idea that this separate front/rear footwell vent system was 1969 only?

I think we're referring to the 1969 year only system where the front footwell heater vent flaps are controlled by cables, ending in control levers up under the dash corners on right and left sides of the car (ref. heater control instructions in 1969 owners manual): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/69bug/page9.jpg

From 1970 to 1972 (not 1974 -- I stand corrected, thank you Smile), the front footwell heater vents were controlled by little levers attached directly to the control flaps/doors in those vents -- i.e. w/ no cables involved (ref. 1970 owners manual): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_69bug/20.jpg

Then in 1973 they evidently went to the system where front footwell vent flaps/doors were controlled by cables again, but this time attached to the left / driver's side heater control lever.

The devil's always in the details, no? Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

John, that would make sense then, as mine is a 1973 Standard... coupled with the earlier photo I posted from a previous thread showing them loop to what appears to be under the carpet.

I'm looking forward to getting in garage tonight to look closer.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Two questions in one - interior passenger side (photos incl) Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
I think we're referring to the 1969 year only system where the front footwell heater vent flaps are controlled by cables, ending in control levers up under the dash corners on right and left sides of the car (ref. heater control instructions in 1969 owners manual): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/69bug/page9.jpg

From 1970 to 1972 (not 1974 -- I stand corrected, thank you Smile), the front footwell heater vents were controlled by little levers attached directly to the control flaps/doors in those vents -- i.e. w/ no cables involved (ref. 1970 owners manual): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_69bug/20.jpg

Aaah- I misunderstood- thanks for the clarification.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: