Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

snorkel setup for Bostig
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ungroov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: snorkel setup for Bostig Reply with quote

lets see your improved air intake or snorkel rigs for Bostig conversions.

the Bostig stock air intake box has large holes facing downward that seem to welcome dust/mud into the filter quite quickly.

has your modification worked well? what are the pros/cons?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: snorkel setup for Bostig Reply with quote

I tried a snorkel for a while, back when my airbox was on the passenger side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was fun for a while, but when I converted to the standard Focus airbox on the driver side, with resonator, the performance improved (better mileage, better throttle response) and the overall engine noise decreased.

In my experience the worries about dust and mud entering the air filter are largely unfounded. If you change the filter according to the lower mileage recommendation (15k miles) you'll be fine. I put 15k miles per year on mine, and I change the air filter annually. I drive on a lot of dusty Forest Service roads.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: snorkel setup for Bostig Reply with quote

I would not be so worried about dirt, dust etc. I would be interested in Intake Air Temps or IAT for any engine. I believe you can monitor IAT with the Bostig and a scanner. Cooler IAT is better for any engine. Filter should be able to handle any dirt.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: snorkel setup for Bostig Reply with quote

I posted a few pics of my Ford intake on VW swap that may help?

For Bostig folks running the snorkel on the "wrong side" of the van or with the snorkel opening facing opposite of OE.

When van sits unused, maybe when its parked with rear downward on an incline, does water get in the intake during heavy rain?

My Ford (Probe?) air box has 2 intake openings; one for Ford damper box one for air intake. I closed the actual intake hole and connected the intake to damper hole. Looking at my pics again, I wonder if there's a leak somewhere. (< coughs > at the duct tape? LOL Wink )

Once in a while, after a heavy rain, engine cold, first start, the engine misses, losses power, may cut out, fairly heavy white exhaust, rich smell. Issue clears up fairly quickly then runs normally. I'm nearly certain the cause is water is getting into the fuel system or intake.

Thanks

Neil.

Some pics. IIRC, hose is from Greenline but I can find source if it helps. I chamfered the ID of coolant hose with a file. Ignore the extra plastic piece; it wasn't used. Bolt closing off small hole is a Jetta flex plate bolt. It threaded right in.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: snorkel setup for Bostig Reply with quote

Ah yes, that was one more thing--thanks, Mark. Moving the air intake to the driver side, with the Bostig/Focus airbox, reduced air intake temps. The Ultragauge is good at reporting data like that. So another plus for just doing it the Bostig way.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: snorkel setup for Bostig Reply with quote

My setup with airbox on driver's side.
Using pieces of original Syncro snorkel and extra plastic from the Focus airbox resonator, I closed up the openings and changed where the air enters. No more dust from under the van. Have not found any need for the resonator, intake is nice and quiet.
I have driven the van with both the snorkel attached to airbox and without, no noticeable difference so have kept the snorkel going up the D pillar.

I originally started out with a 2009 Bostig setup with the ECU inside the engine compartment and the airbox on the passenger side with the long hose snaking around the front of the engine. Never really liked that setup and when it became available I switched to the new ECU setup inside the van, which freed up the space to change to driver's side airbox. Much cleaner setup.
I also moved the coolant overflow bottle to front bulkhead to add more room for airbox.
(have since changed even more by adding the "catifold" setup to the exhaust)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
ZestyNora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: snorkel setup for Bostig Reply with quote

MsTaboo - how much did bostig charge for the cobra hood intake boot? Have you considered the new coolant tower arrangement? I see you have a sight glass and bleeder on the coolant hose running along the passenger side - is that a bostig piece?

I did my bostig in 2012 which means I have the original coolant fill setup on the forward end of the engine (just like you do) and the 90 degree machined aluminum intake elbow with the long hose running to the passenger side airbox.

Your engine compartment looks great, btw. Nice, clean, and orderly.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: snorkel setup for Bostig Reply with quote

ZestyNora wrote:
MsTaboo - how much did bostig charge for the cobra hood intake boot? Have you considered the new coolant tower arrangement? I see you have a sight glass and bleeder on the coolant hose running along the passenger side - is that a bostig piece?

I did my bostig in 2012 which means I have the original coolant fill setup on the forward end of the engine (just like you do) and the 90 degree machined aluminum intake elbow with the long hose running to the passenger side airbox.

Your engine compartment looks great, btw. Nice, clean, and orderly.

Sorry I didn't see your post until today.
Here's the Cobra head kit including the needed cable.
http://www.bostig.com/intake-upgrade-for-v2-0-2010-manual-transmission-syncro/

The sight glass is an aftermarket bit that Signalocity showed me. Sorry can't remember the site. I think it was a classic Jaguar site. It works really well for bleeding air bubbles out of that loop.
(edit: I found the receipt for the sight glass, it's from Jagsthatrun.com)
https://jagsthatrun.com/products/coolant-sight-gla...7760275499

I did talk to Jim about upgrading to the newest cooling tower setup but he suggested my current setup was good and no need to spend the money.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: