Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty rear discs -- experiences?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

https://www.gowesty.com/product/brakes/25264/rear_disc_kit-vanagon?v=

Saw this in the latest release section. Haven't been to their site in a while was wondering if anyone had experience with it (search yielded nothing). Also whether rear discs are a worthwhile upgrade over drums in general. I get that beefier discs up front seem to have a consensus. I have some gobucks from shipping old cores to them been looking to cash in.

thx in advance
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs-experiences? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's real interesting.
How long has that kit been available, I've never heard of it.

$699
bolt on
no machining
stainless steel brake lines
parking brake cables included (in one of the pics?)
and they claim the parking brake is 30% better than drum brakes

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs-experiences? Reply with quote

remraf wrote:
(search yielded nothing).

Hi

Try the FAQ, lots has been written on rear brake discs

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236054#6236054
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs-experiences? Reply with quote

This looks to be a good kit, and without having to perform extra machining that's a good deal. Quite a bit of a price difference between this and what else is on the market currently. Yet another modification dooming the OEM 14" wheels, so might as well budget for 15" or 16" wheels.

It seems the rotors and pads are proprietary to GoWesty. What happens if you're on the road and need spares? Gotta wait for GoWesty to ship them wherever you are in the world? What happens 5-20+ years down the road? Will spares still be available, or will we have to cobble together a hybrid system with other parts?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

GoWesty: https://www.gowesty.com/product/brakes/25264/rear_disc_kit-vanagon?v=

Caliper assembly: The caliper, bracket, and pad assembly we designed the system around is an exact copy of the rear caliper assembly Volkswagen used on the 2001-03 Eurovan. We chose this caliper because it was designed for a vehicle of similar size and weight, so we knew it was up to the task in all regards, not the least of which is a parking brake that actually works!

Rotor: The rotor is designed specifically to fit a Vanagon without modification to the hub. This is a key component in many ways, but especially because it does not require any modification to the hub—unlike other kits that repurpose a rotor from another vehicle that requires machined hubs to fit. Additionally, we specified a friction surface identical to the 2001-03 Eurovan, so we know it works perfectly with that caliper.

Longer studs are advisable.

Another Great rear brake kit.

https://burleymotorsports.net/product/rear-disc-brake-kit-new-generation/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up about the rear disc FAQ. I meant this specific kit yielded no search results. Guess it's newer than I realized. From reading the FAQ sounds like rears are a noticeable improvement after doing fronts. My wife really wants to drive the van all of a sudden and she has a tendency to follow close (and I want her to be safe-Smile ).

Don't like the idea of a proprietary kit but after reading about GW's front kit here seems like they claim that despite using parts from other cars. Not sure why they do that as it seems more likely to limit sales. Anyway, just added to the possible go bucks cash in list.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Pads,calipers and rebuild parts would be 01-03 Eurovan I would think. Not sure what they've done with the rotor to make it fit the unmachined hub. The return spring is new (to me). Note how they have the balance bar even between the two sides, not cocked to one side.
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I think it is a great improvement for those who are already going for 15 or 16 inches wheels.

One bad side with this product. It is quite well known that calipers are much better installed when they are on the front side of the wheels, instead the rear side, where they are getting much more dust.

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

On the topic of the proprietary disks, I'd venture to say that as little wear as rear brakes get in general (compared to front) the rear disks of decent materials should last at least 100,000 miles. So, depending on your driving habits it may be many years into the future before facing a replacement.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Very little dust with ceramic pads.
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Pads, calipers(Lucas) and carriers look to be standard T4 parts. Machining the hub is simple job and once done standard discs can be used, so no one vendor only parts (pay now for the hub mod or pay through the nose for discs later)

https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/t4-rear-disc-install-in-a-t3.57169/page-3
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Rear discs are next on the list for me. Since I have a syncro, I don't believe i need to machine the hubs. The one thing that's giving me pause is that I really want a vented rotor, seems that heat dissipation would be one of the primary benefits of installing discs on a back of a heavy vehicle..
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

On my Syncro, I have Burley big brake kit on front and Burley rear disc kit. Both have slotted and vented discs. The rear did need some machining. The brakes work great and I am very happy with the upgrade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

On my Syncro, I have Burley big brake kit on front and Burley rear disc kit. Both have slotted and vented discs. The rear did need some machining. The brakes work great and I am very happy with the upgrade.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I'd like to know how the parking brake holds after everything's all bedded in.
Like after a year or so.

If someone would hurry up and get that kit on the van.....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Rear discs are next on the list for me. Since I have a syncro, I don't believe i need to machine the hubs. The one thing that's giving me pause is that I really want a vented rotor, seems that heat dissipation would be one of the primary benefits of installing discs on a back of a heavy vehicle..

I looked for vented rotors for the rear. I never found any.

My Burley Kit offered slotted drilled rotors. I went with those.
I have not noticed any heat build up out of the ordinary.

The parking brakes are superb!

https://burleymotorsports.net/product/rear-disc-brake-kit-new-generation/

mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

The hand brake is good on these caliper as they come from a similar weight van not like those sourced from cars.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

mackaymanx wrote:
The hand brake is good on these caliper as they come from a similar weight van not like those sourced from cars.

....and barely able to hold the passenger car they came on.

A member up here in the PNW franklinstower “has a set” Wink
...... of eurovan rear disc brakes on his vanagom.

Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
mackaymanx wrote:

....and barely able to hold the passenger car they came on.

A member up here in the PNW franklinstower “has a set” Wink
...... of eurovan rear disc brakes on his vanagom.

Sodo,

These rear disc brakes hold better than I could ever possibly get the stock drums to.

I’m not sure why others are having issues?

Mine are the Burley brakes.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Burley rear discs here too. E brake holds perfectly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: