Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty rear discs -- experiences?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Uh, hello people -- we are in the middle of a pandemic. I know your rear brake kits are expensive, but supply is more limited, shipping is more expensive and so is having employees coming into work.

Let's get serious here, while you are playing with extra toys on your van, they are dealing with a logistical reality and still asking their employees to work.

Grasp the situation at hand. They could keep their prices the same and just be closed for 6 months. Yes, they are sold out, yes the price went up by 15%, but keep your needs and price shock in reality.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I develop my views based on patterns of behavior and not just single instances of an event. Patterns

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I am hesitant to use any parts or upgrades that are unique to one vendor only. The example of breaking down 2000 mile into BFE, while stock replacement parts maybe of suspect quality, they are available from numerous suppliers around the world. Freight might be killer, but it’s a global market as opposed to one supplier that might or might not have a replacement instock, discontinued, or open for business.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

A $799 kit PLUS a full set of replacement wear items could add up less than the $949 Audi 200 calipers kit that I installed.

Replacement parts are an important factor but it didn't turn out to be of much benefit for the Girling 4143 kits :grumble:
Buying replacement parts today for the Girling 4143 tastes the same as 2009
......when the dilemma was "buy new Vanagon drums _or_ 'upgrade' to passenger car discs."

The T4 kits look much more promising, but totally agree standard replacement wear parts is important factor.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I'm going to again say that I feel so lucky to have MULTIPLE vendors for parts for our vans, including companies willing to come up with kits that really work.

Would I be frustrated at a price jump? Sure, but as mentioned above, these are different times. Also, if they just came out at the current price, would anyone blink? Unlikely because they are STILL less than the competition.

It's downright amazing the support that exists for these quirky OLD vans that honestly should be worth about 1/4 of what they are. It's expensive to be a small company taking on higher volume and dealing with supply issues, employee issues, COVID issues, etc. If they jump the price to much, there won't be a market for it and that will correct itself. Right now it's still quite a bit less than the others, even during a crazy time in the world.

GoWesty may be a premium, but is it usually worth it? I sure think so. Try being an enthusiast for something smaller volume such as a porsche 914. You're stuck with NOS parts AT BEST at HIGH $$$$ and grateful to get them. We have a legit market here with competition and innovation. It's freaking awesome!
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Uh, hello people -- we are in the middle of a pandemic. I know your rear brake kits are expensive, but supply is more limited, shipping is more expensive and so is having employees coming into work.

Let's get serious here, while you are playing with extra toys on your van, they are dealing with a logistical reality and still asking their employees to work.

Grasp the situation at hand. They could keep their prices the same and just be closed for 6 months. Yes, they are sold out, yes the price went up by 15%, but keep your needs and price shock in reality.

👏

Just wait, Cash for Clunkers II is getting ready to be rolled out. This will be HUGE as many will not be able to afford to maintain an older vehicle.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

GW did just put all of their engines and transmissions on sale last week. Not a huge discount but a few hundred bucks off the price across the board.

This is a crazy time to be in business. My company is paying over 10,000 store employees to stay home while stores are closed. That's a cost of $7,000,000 per week (who know how long that can be sustained). Imagine being a small business with a small staff of employees. Shit's gotta be done to keep the business afloat while supporting employees. Price increases, price decreases, etc. are part of the matrix. I just bought a set of steel wheels from one of our vendors. They've been on my mind for a few years and this seems like a good time to get something I want in exchange for sending some cash to one of our vendors.

https://www.gowesty.com/search-results.php?search_phrase=Engine

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Imagine being a small business with a small staff of employees. Shit's gotta be done to keep the business afloat while supporting employees.

The company I work for is a small-business hardware store with two sub-5000sq/ft locations in Portland. Business took a massive slowdown after we were unable to get N95 masks, TP, nitrile gloves, rubbing alcohol, bleach, etc. Hours were cut, we're closed Sundays, and I went on a voluntary furlough a week before Oregon's "shelter in place" order came down to help the company and the rest of the staff -- my wife is in three of the higher-risk groups, and I'm fortunate enough to not *need* the job like some of my coworkers do, so I "took one for the team" as it were. The company is fortunate in that they own the real estate of both stores, but...

So yeah, its an .. interesting .. situation all around, both inside and outside the VW world. Which reminds me I need to order some "wishlist" parts at Halsey next week to help keep the locals in business too.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Are there any reports of how the parking brake holds on the Gowesty kit?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Are there any reports of how the parking brake holds on the Gowesty kit?

My dad installed this kit on the parents' '89... he loves it. Parking brake holds excellently on hills. Patiently waiting for GW to get these back in stock so I can put 'em on my '90.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Yes. My wife has reported that when she launched our small boat two weeks ago, they held on the ramp well. I cannot wait to return from Europe to drive this van, it was being overhauled all winter.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

The real test is not at just after install,
nor by counting clicks on the parking brake handle ( 🤣🤣🤣the old way 🤣🤣🤣)

The real test is after the footbrake has polished the disc to a mirror finish and glazed the pads.

Perhaps after few months?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Braking performance is very nice, I have yet to test e-brake on any significant slope yet.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

If they did a good copy of the T4 brake, my T4 holds a 4000# boat on a slopes launch ramp without engaging the AT pawl.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I’m buying a rear disk brake kit from GoWesty because I will never have to replace rear disks based on normal rear brake wear expectations. Rear calipers are Eurovan, and that’s good enough for me and my Syncro. It beats dealing with crappy aftermarket rear drum shoes and brake cylinders.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
I’m buying a rear disk brake kit from GoWesty because I will never have to replace rear disks based on normal rear brake wear expectations. Rear calipers are Eurovan, and that’s good enough for me and my Syncro. It beats dealing with crappy aftermarket rear drum shoes and brake cylinders.

thats the route i went (rear discs) couldnt be happier
GW had them back ordered w no timeline
opted to piece mine together
T
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I have a question regarding non-stock brakes. One thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is availibility of parts.
If my brakes break down, I order a Vanagon part. Maybe not available right away, but it is clearly identified and will eventually make its way to me. On a custom or semi-custom system (Audi A4 caliper, modified caliper holder, VW Jetta disc (I'm just throwing random names out there, I haven't looked into the specifics), doesn't it make the van harder to fix, especially by a garage?
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Yes.

VicVan wrote:
I have a question regarding non-stock brakes. One thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is availibility of parts.
If my brakes break down, I order a Vanagon part. Maybe not available right away, but it is clearly identified and will eventually make its way to me. On a custom or semi-custom system (Audi A4 caliper, modified caliper holder, VW Jetta disc (I'm just throwing random names out there, I haven't looked into the specifics), doesn't it make the van harder to fix, especially by a garage?

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

What any owner should do if they have upgraded their vehicle with modifications to or replacing OEM parts is to keep a logbook in the vehicle that states what parts were used in the upgrade and what the parts are from - donor vehicle particulars/ Make / Model / Year and the exact part numbers that were used. This should include installation notes like torgue spec's and the like

Just like keeping the critical part numbers such as cv joints, spark plug type, distributor cap etc., etc. for road trips you as the mechanic/owner need it as well as down the road if you sell the vehicle. It is the cars history and should stay with the vehicle

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

That also applies in regards to critical safety recalls. For example if you have a Subaru engine, not what year and model the donor car is from just in case something pops up.

Same goes for items like seats (Chrysler T&C seats for example) and other items that are grafted into your van.

Of course you will have to manually check on safety recalls for all those items since the NTSB will have no idea that you have parts from other vehicles installed in your Vanagon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: